CrazyBoards.org

Can bad life events trigger Hypomania instead of Depression

Yes, I've had mania in response to bad stress / life events. It scares me because I know that I'm going to drop, so when mania is the first response I figure that just means when I finally fall the drop is going to be much longer (and intense) and when I smack rock bottom the impact is going to be much more devastating than if I hadn't gone up before coming back down. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman.) This is part of the reason I've begged pdoc to let me have some sort of rescue med around, to prevent such a wide swing in mood in such a short time.

k

Sure, stress can lead to mania--that's always been my experience, depending on the stress. Kind of, it just makes me drive myself harder, and that can turn on the "juices", I guess. Kind of like a constant flow of adrenaline.

I suppose the only kind of stress that'll depress me is like when my ex walked out on me...but shit, that'll depress aanybody.

The town i live in had a large earthquake and people died, including people i knew and i went manic. My boyfriend moved in and i went mixed then depressed. I don't always need a reason or a life event but sometimes stress just makes it happen too. Kinder makes me feel guilty now, because i was so excited and hyper while everyone else was in shock and scared, and lost there homes but i just felt even stronger connection to the Earth and made me respect her even more.

When my grandmother passed away (I was with her when she did), I went into a 6-week mania that high doses of zyprexa (and even a little haldol) couldn't contain. I also went seriously mixed crazy after my father passed away. I was definitely not fun to be around.

Sure, stress can lead to mania--that's always been my experience, depending on the stress. Kind of, it just makes me drive myself harder, and that can turn on the "juices", I guess. Kind of like a constant flow of adrenaline.

That is what happened to me last time, which then turned into a mixed state which is never fun.

Archived