CrazyBoards.org

Intrusive thoughts..making you snap

Hi,

Im new here and haven't written an intro..Im just jumping right in. Anyways. I have recently been diagnosed with OCD (but haven't really gone beyond labelling it..therefore I don't know much about it yet). I have read that intrusive thoughts and OCD mean you will not act on them. But what I am curious about is this...my friend who also suffers from OCD said that they have heard/read that it is possible to have this scenario play out. Someone with OCD suffers from intrusive thoughts let's say about hurting their pet, they know they would never want to hurt their pet, they start getting depressed about these thoughts, it leads to depression and the person lashes out and hurts the pet.

(no pets were actually harmed!)

Is this possible? Or would this be some thing totally not related to OCD?

Thanks. I hope that made sense!

I can't speak for everyone with OCD, but as far as I know people with OCD don't act on their intrusive thoughts in any way, shape, or form. That's why it's OCD versus something else.

Thank you, that's what I thought too. But my friend was arguing with me, mostly because I think he does not want to admit it could be other crazies =) and not just OCD. He hasn't hurt anyone but he is claiming his intrusive thoughts about his current girlfriend (not me...my husband wouldn't like that!) are making him so angry and depressed that he lashed out her verbally and is scared it could go further.

Thanks again for the reply!

Well, i suppose if the intrusive thought is poisoning her, and he didn't act on that but got stressed and a little cranky one day, that could be ocd. It may be a matter of which thought he is actually acting out on.... Anna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not OCD. But lately I've had these thoughts. I would never act on them. I find it so disturbing. I have sexual ones. Just like images. I'm having sex with them. It's always with people I would never want to sleep with. Elderly people mostly. I have thoughts of pushing people into traffic. Its always people I really like and have never had any anger towards.

Archived