CrazyBoards.org

My PCP wanted to try prescribing me Vyvanse at my upcoming appointment. I am stimulant-naive because a combination of GAD and ADHD means I assume I'll be judged as an irresponsible druggie if I ask for meds to help, hah. All I've ever tried is Strattera earlier in college.

Her rationale was that Vyvanse is long-acting, so less of a peak and crash effect, and also because of that, less apt to be habit forming. I looked up the cost under my insurance, though, and it's just too much for me to afford. I was wondering if there were any other meds with a similar effect profile that have generics I could try instead.

All stimulants are pretty expensive with the exception of generic methylphenidate which has more peaks and valleys than a roller coaster.

You can look and see if your insurance has lower copays for other meds though. Every insurance plan is going to be different in that regard.

Dexidrine, both spansules and IR are generic and there's also generic adderall. That might make a difference in terms of your co-pay even if the drugs themselves are expensive without insurance.

I have anxiety and OCD issues as well as ADHD and can't take stimulants without also taking something else to take the edge off, even if it's just an SSRI.

• 1 month later...

I just started trying Vyvanse. Seems a lot like dexedrine but steadier. With IR Dexedrine, I found that I have to take it several times, at about the right time, to make it work right. Say, once at 7AM, once at noon, once at 5. For me, it helps me to have a low dose to sleep, so a fraction of my normal dose at bedtime and maybe even a little bit in the middle of the night. These are all small amounts, though, total around 20mg/day.

Yeah, dex or adderall are going to be your best bet here.

To be honest, I don't find that I habituate much to my ADHD drugs, I've been on adderall with no problems at all before. I was on the XR and it was generic, hence, cheap. I guess it avoids peaks and valleys, eh, whatever. I take provigil, which is also generic,I believe, or about to become so? They just came out with nuvigil instead, so like, I think it is, or is about to be? Not sure. Usually when they come out with basically the same thing, it means generic is in the future. That said, your insurance co will not always approve it. That said, I have pretty minor ADHD and it really doesn't work for most people, it's not a first line treatment.

Anna

I looked up the actual cost recently, for the dose I take, and was surprised that Vyvanse doesn't seem to cost all THAT much more. But I bet the copay is a lot more. Or it could be that I screwed up when checking the cost, I suppose.

Right now I'm on the free sample. Generally I didn't think that dexedrine seemed habit forming, but maybe Vyvanse is, or why else is the first month free? ;-)

Archived