CrazyBoards.org

Earthquake!

Wow. In NYC my friend's chair rolled down his loft floor and the epicenter was in Virginia. Buildings moved in Columbus, Ohio. Tiles fell at Boston airport. I was out walking and just thought I was dizzy and leaned sideways.

When I lived in Costa Rica earthquakes were all too common. One was very scary and very dangerous. The aftershocks are the worst. I hope no one is injured. I can't find much info on the web but my mother-in-law already called from Oregon. Did anyone else feel it?

Wow. In NYC my friend's chair rolled down his loft floor and the epicenter was in Virginia. Buildings moved in Columbus, Ohio. Tiles fell at Boston airport. I was out walking and just thought I was dizzy and leaned sideways.

When I lived in Costa Rica earthquakes were all too common. One was very scary and very dangerous. The aftershocks are the worst. I hope no one is injured. I can't find much info on the web but my mother-in-law already called from Oregon. Did anyone else feel it?

I sure felt it Water....turns out it was a 5.9 quake that hit the area with the epicenter located in the town of Mineral VA. near Fredericksburg VA.It sure was some scary stuff to say the least.

I'm in Brooklyn visiting family, and the floor shook up here. I took my little brother and went downstairs and we stayed out there for a while until we were sure it passed.

Oh, you're in Brooklyn right now. Ok, so it's YOUR fault NY felt it!

It's weird, many of us aren't used to it, but I know people in, like, Cali are probably laughing at us. This just really isn't something we, as NYers normally experience.

I'm in Ohio, and I didn't feel it at all. I didn't know it until I heard it on the news.

I read on the web that office buildings in Columbus were evacuated because of shaking.

My cousin in Merryland was in her car and thought a bunch of people had jumped on the roof and started shaking the car.

Then she realized earthquake. All of a sudden everyone in her office building poured out screaming. Earthquakes are incredibly scary.

I like earthquakes, but would probably change my mind if something fell on me.

Colorado actually surprised me more than Virginia. And I have been in earthquakes in NYC and Vermont, although it just sounded like a freight train, and rattled the buildings.

I felt it. I live like 60 miles from the epicenter. It wasn't too bad, I didn't know it was an earthquake at first. I thought something nearby must have exploded at first but then the house kept on shaking...my daughter and I stood in a door frame. Nothing fell or anything but my ex-husband works quite close to the epicenter and they evacuated etc. he was pretty terrified - enough so that he told me that if rubble kills him he has always loved me...which is kinda weird since his new girlfriend is pregnant and he just moved in with her. But I digress.

I found a funny LA Times blog entry about the earthquake:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2011/08/a-59-earthquake-that-struck-virginia-today-gives-new-meaning-to-the-word-aftershock-residents-up-and-down-the-coast-had-tro.html

I'm in Boston, though, and did not notice anything out of the ordinary happening around 2pm, and large trucks passing down my street cause my windows to rattle (and scare my poor cats).

my daughter and I stood in a door frame.

This is what I was taught to do years ago in Central America where there are frequent earthquakes. Because of the power lines never run outside during an earthquake. In the middle of a photo assignment right as I was taking pictures, the ceiling, the walls, began to shake. Everyone ran outside screaming. I stood stock still in total fear and then ran to the main doorway. The facade of the building collapsed right next to me. Later I flew around in a helicopter taking pictures of the devastation for the newspaper. People lost their homes, highways were split in two, bridges collapsed. After that experiences I have never enjoyed an earthquake.

I've lived in both earthquake and tornado country, and still haven't decided if the post-earthquake anxiety or pre-tornado anxiety is worse! They're both terrible, though.

I'm glad Virginia is going to take care of things, though:

post-1139-0-72360800-1314390388_thumb.jp

Archived