CrazyBoards.org

Frustrated - How can I get my meds changed

Hi

I want to change my meds from abilify/seroquel to risperdal but my doctor won't do it and when they put me in touch with a pdoc all they suggested was going on more drugs which I can't afford to counteract the bad side effects I'm having. I am just at the end of my tether. Has anyone got any suggestions of how I can get back in touch with a pdoc and get my meds changed?

thanks

Clownfish

Guest Vapourware

I would suggest insisting on changing your psychiatric care into the hands of a psychiatrist, not a GP - if I'm also interpreting the situation correctly and it's a GP that is currently treating you. I think you need to really sit down with a psychiatrist and talk to them about your concerns and your financial situations, and the reasons why you want to get off your current med combo.

You need to have your own pdoc. Don't let your GP handle your psych meds. If you really want to change to Risperdal, and there isn't some valid reason why you shouldn't, then I don't see why your pdoc would be opposed to letting you try it (just my opinion). I can understand wanting to try something else rather than adding in meds to counter the side effects. You need to call a pdoc and make an appointment. Either get a referral, or if you have insurance, you can see what pdocs your insurance works with.

i'm not sure how it runs in your country, but in switzerland you can get an other psychiatrist if you don't like the treatment anymore IF you got the right insurance policy. i did it cause my doc prescribed me 600mg clozapine a day wich i couldn't take anymore cause i was sedated the whole day. it was a similar situation, i didnt want the meds, my doc said no to changing them and i went to an other doc. and it worked and i can get any medication i want to get now. it's that easy.

Hi

thanks for your replies. It is so complicated to explain......Basically I am discharged from pdoc care and have to get the gp to refer me back to a pdoc if I need to see one to change medications. I did recently get referred on to a registrar who was guided by a pdoc to treat me but they insisted that I went on other medications to cure my restlessness (my leg goes like elvis all the time) and my intrusive thoughts. I have already been on risperdal before and want to go back on it but the registrar said to me it causes oesteoporosis and would't put me on it, she just insisted I went on the SSRI and anti restlessness pills. I know I'm paranoid but I feel they get paid for putting you on more drugs...... The registrar said that she would write a letter to my doctor to recommend I saw a private pdoc if i wanted to change medications but I have since changed doctors and they won't have the letter that was sent to my old doctor. I don't want to phone my old doctor because I don't think they'll pass on the document if I do. I just don't know what to do now.

Clownfish

If I'm understanding correctly (it is a little complicated) the pdoc writes a scrip for a med, the gp does the follow ups and med management, but then there is a registrar who has some gatekeeper powers and influence over med choice. What a bureaucratic pain. Can you let your current registrar know that you are not satisfied and get your current registrar to write a new letter to your new gp to refer you to a pdoc because you are requesting a med change? Once the gp has the letter and she appproves you can bypass the registrar and go straight to the pdoc?

ETA: esp. since you're just asking to go back to what you were on before

Risperdal elevates prolactin levels more than any other AAP. Elevated prolactin can cause various problems including increased risk of osteoporosis. If nothing else, you weren't being fed a line of bunk.

Why not go back to your old GP, use the letter, and get a private pdoc?

I poked around in your profile. You are in Australia.

What is a registrar? is that someone with a medical degree??

Are you schizophrenic?

Osteoporosis is the least of your problems. jeez

Can you just go in person to your old doctor's office and REQUEST that letter?

You need to be under care of a psychiatrist.

You need to insist, or ask a family member or friend to help you deal with the system.

Or perhaps some sort of mental illness advocacy organization. i know they have that in England, I think it is called PALS????

I think you need some help dealing with the system.

You might want to fill in your profile and About Me page so the members here can get to know you better. hang in there

If you need a good antipsychotic than an ssri is NOT going to help very much, in my humble opinion.

You need to be permanently assigned to a psychiatrist. Ask for help from someone you trust. Pastor, lawyer, parent, nurse, someone you trust.

Guest Vapourware

bpladybug: a registrar is usually a person who patients first see when they visit a practice, and they make an initial assessment of a person's condition. They do have a medical degree.

If you're in Australia [and I'm in Australia too]...

Firstly, I'm really surprised that your GP is handling your psych meds. It's inappropriate and you must insist that you get a referral to another pdoc. I don't know your financial situation - are you in the position of seeing a pdoc privately [although Medicare will rebate you]? Or must you see someone who bulkbills? Do you have a community mental health centre in your area? They might be able to help you with medication.

As far as I know, you don't even need your current GP or your old GP to write the referral. You can see another GP - any GP - to write up a referral for you, but you really do need to get that referral to another pdoc. IMO GPs shouldn't be handling psych meds like Abilify and Seroquel.

Personally I think it is bad that your last pdoc discharged you whilst you are still on AP.

I think that GP's should not be handling psych meds. Mine does in a way, but he is not allowed to change the dosage or when I take my meds or anything like that - that is all pdoc's responsibility. All the GP does is print out a prescription so that I can refill my supply when I run out. But that is how the system works where I am (UK).

And though it is right to be concerned about side effects, it must be noted that they do not affect everyone. If a med has worked for you in the past then I think you should be quite within your rights to try it again if your current meds are not working for you. The most important thing is that you get the illnesses that you have now treated in the best way that you can.

And bpladybug, as someone from the UK I can say that you are right about PALS.

Hi all

Thanks so much for your answers. Yes, I'm in Australia and I've got schizophrenia. I went to another GP today and she has given me a referall to a pdoc, thank goodness. Lets hope they let me change back to risperdal. I can't get an appointment for another 4 to 5 weeks would you believe but I've waiting so long already a bit more time won't matter I suppose.

Clownfish

Hi all

Thanks so much for your answers. Yes, I'm in Australia and I've got schizophrenia. I went to another GP today and she has given me a referall to a pdoc, thank goodness. Lets hope they let me change back to risperdal. I can't get an appointment for another 4 to 5 weeks would you believe but I've waiting so long already a bit more time won't matter I suppose.

Clownfish

Hopefully that time will go quickly.

Good luck.

Archived