CrazyBoards.org

feel people arent being " themselves "

crywolf2010

im not sure where the right place to post this. sooo here it goes. ive been diagnosed with schizophrenia. when i go out i feel that people who work in shops, hospitals....anywhere! arent being themselves. its hard to describe. like their all smiling and being nice while their at work but deep down there different... i dunno. i cant find the words to describe it. like their fake. u know what i mean..? anyone can comment? can this be part of schiz.?

Guest Vapourware

Are you suspicious of their motives? Do you think that they are fake?

It could be a manifestation of schizophrenia. It depends on how much evidence you have to support your hypothesis. Have people treated you differently for instance, or is it more something that you are suspecting of others?

Are you suspicious of their motives? Do you think that they are fake?

It could be a manifestation of schizophrenia. It depends on how much evidence you have to support your hypothesis. Have people treated you differently for instance, or is it more something that you are suspecting of others?

yeah like that they are only being "nice" and "friendly" coz they have to be coz its their "job". for example those door salesman that scam people. they knock your door you open and their all smiling and complementing you but really they are only doing that so they can get commission and they only see $$$ signs when they look at you. they get you to buy something or join or whatever and in the end they walk away knowing they just got some $$$. thats an example. im not just directing it to door salesman but like when i go to the gym and theres a lady at the front counter, shes all smiling and being nice but away from her work she "could" be a nasty slut.

do you get what im trying to say?

is it all in my head?

Guest Vapourware

Yes, I understand. There are times when people are nice to each other due to social conventions or because of ulterior motives.

However, it doesn't necessarily mean that all people are like that. I tend to believe that most people are well-intentioned and are generally good people.

I think if you have negative feelings about people without much evidence - and IMO your comments tend to be along the lines of making assumptions about people's motives, rather than basing them on actual fact [i.e. the comment about the girl at the counter] - then I would suggest that your thinking is more along the lines of paranoia or suspiciousness.

I think that a lot of the people who work in positions dealing with the public really like what they're doing. The young woman at the health club, the clerk in the clothing store, and the waitress in the restaurant may have chosen those jobs because that's what they like to do. And they know darn well that they will get better results if they are kind and friendly to their customers. It's kind of basic---if you snarl and behave rudely, you're going to drive people away.

I don't find those people insincere at all. They probably have cheerful, happy personalities and that's why they greet people with a smile. I doubt very much that it's phony.

olga

I think that a lot of the people who work in positions dealing with the public really like what they're doing. The young woman at the health club, the clerk in the clothing store, and the waitress in the restaurant may have chosen those jobs because that's what they like to do. And they know darn well that they will get better results if they are kind and friendly to their customers. It's kind of basic---if you snarl and behave rudely, you're going to drive people away.

I don't find those people insincere at all. They probably have cheerful, happy personalities and that's why they greet people with a smile. I doubt very much that it's phony.

olga

I'm more cynical than you are, Olga. I think people take jobs where they can get them, not necessarily what they like to do. That is, unless of course it's a professional who chose what they wanted to do and studied hard to get what they wanted. I'd say that some people are genuinely nice while others just do what the job requires.

yeah like i feel there only "pretending" to be nice and friendly and later they "snicker" to their workmate/s. like "pretending" to be good when they're really "bad". like behaving one way in front of u and a different way to their family or workmate/s.

I'm sorry you think so little of your fellow human beings. I have never felt that someone waited on me with a smile and then turned around and made fun of me to their co-workers. *shrug* Maybe I'm a Pollyanna. I can tell you that I was in sales for 20 years, and when I said hello to a customer and smiled and shook her hand, 99% of the time I was genuinely glad to see her. Many of my customers ended up being good friends.

But I tend to like people and I like being with them. I've always felt that if you treat people decently, they will usually return the favor.

olga

yeah like i feel there only "pretending" to be nice and friendly and later they "snicker" to their workmate/s. like "pretending" to be good when they're really "bad". like behaving one way in front of u and a different way to their family or workmate/s.

I'm sorry you think so little of your fellow human beings.

olga

ive been nice to everyone my whole life. ive always been a nice guy. and YES i was ALWAYS genuine. youd be suprised how i got treated. its not like i deserved to get treated "badly" by other people. i never went around provoking people or saying nasty stuff and "most" of the time i never got treated the same way i treated them.i always thought people were good but once i got "out and about" it was the opposite.

why is it when someone treats me badly and i "tell" other people then I AM the bad guy coz i complained and the perpetrator gets away with it. who cares about the victim...

What is your diagnosis? You sound paranoid. Even if people are being nice or polite because of social conventions, that doesn't mean they are inherently mean. Social convention does not equal phony.

And perpetrator/victim? That's a bit over the top. Even if they were snickering about you (and they aren't), they haven't committed a crime. That kind of hyperbolic thought process sounds like paranoia.

What is your diagnosis?

read my original post

And perpetrator/victim? That's a bit over the top.

just coz it didnt involve a murder or rape or that it wasnt on the 6 o'clock news doesnt make it "okay" or "alright" or "not such a big deal" or something that you should just "get over" or "forget". words hurt aswell you know.

crywolf, have you ever had a job where you had to interact with the public?

i thought about it and i actually tried it but after one day of doing it i couldnt sleep properly coz i couldnt stand the feeling that i ripped some people off and now they have no money for food for their 10 children. sooo i quit. god bless those children that died of starvation coz the money meant for their food was spent on their parents super duper new vacuum cleaner. hey maybe it might be on the 6 o clock news? well... i guess it wont be coz i didnt murder them wait they can charge me with manslaughter? nope not serious enough. just name and shame me... nah maybe they should forget about it coz it happened 20 seconds ago. just tell them to " get over it " ahahahhhahah

What is your diagnosis?

read my original post

And perpetrator/victim? That's a bit over the top.

just coz it didnt involve a murder or rape or that it wasnt on the 6 o'clock news doesnt make it "okay" or "alright" or "not such a big deal" or something that you should just "get over" or "forget". words hurt aswell you know.

You haven't reported any actual examples of anyone actually saying anything that is hurtful, just that you *think* they are *thinking* mean thoughts. They have to at least commit and actual bad act against you before you can claim to be a victim.

And just *thinking* even the meanest things doesn't count. Even if they were thinking it, thinking is not a crime, nor is it a personal attack on you. Words that are not even uttered don't hurt *anyone.*

So you're schizophrenic, and you don't think you might be paranoid? You need to talk to your tdoc or pdoc. Maybe you are the one whose thought processes are at issue, not strangers who really don't think about you that much.

I would highly suspect that this is your illness, not reality. I've worked in hospitals and in sales, and like ANYWHERE there are people who are genuinely nice and concerned about others, and a few FEW bad apples, who can be jerks.

You are lumping everyone together into a paranoid category and this is absolutely symptomatic IN MY OPINION though I cannot dx you, obviously. But I highly suggest you bring this up with pdoc, and also try to remember that thoughts are not reality, especially paranoid ones.

Seriously, some of the nicest people I've met are in sales, hospitals, schools, the list goes on.

Anna

im not sure where the right place to post this. sooo here it goes. ive been diagnosed with schizophrenia. when i go out i feel that people who work in shops, hospitals....anywhere! arent being themselves. its hard to describe. like their all smiling and being nice while their at work but deep down there different... i dunno. i cant find the words to describe it. like their fake. u know what i mean..? anyone can comment? can this be part of schiz.?

I agree with you, very rarely are people genuinely nice. Most of the time they are fake nice whilst thinking things about you that are not nice. Also a significant proportion of the time people aren't even fake nice they are just total jerks (I would use a ruder term but it's a public forum, so I'll refer to these people as jerks). Usually people are jerks in subtle ways, just their tone of voice or some little comment or whatever and they probably go away and make comments about you sometimes.

Doctors are the worst for being fake nice, they have fake smiles whilst the whole time they are writing something about you on their computer like "patient is making things up for whatever reason" and thinking bad things about you eg you are overweight or whatever, and trying to get you out of there asap without helping you and take your money.

Doctors receptionists are also the worst just for being jerks, they are rude and always stuff up my appointments. I'm sure if they have to look at your medical records they laugh about it.

I hate talking to shop assistants or in any situation where I have to buy something or deal with a government department or whatever. When I'm in a shop I hate it when they ask me if I need help. Usually if I ask someone "can you help me with x?" they will say "oh, we can't do that" (or some excuse) and act like you are being unreasonable. But if my husband was to ask the same thing they would say no problem and be all smiles and good service.

Archived