CrazyBoards.org

"Zombie" Look

My friends recently pointed out something I do that they think is odd, and I'm wondering if it has any relation to my BPD. (Edit: I meant to say bipolar disorder.)

Sometimes In social situations I will zone out suddenly, sometimes while people or talking to me. It feels like I'm stuck in place for a minute and kind of snapped out of reality. It's never seriously bothered me before, and I can shake it off, but it's started freaking my friends out. They say I look like a zombie and that I get completely catatonic.

Does anybody else experience this?

Do you mean bipolar or borderline personality disorder. BPD usually means the latter around here but you posted on the bipolar board.

This doesn't sound like a bipolar thing. I'd talk to your pdoc about it, and maybe consider seeing a neurologist.

What meds are you on? Some meds can cause petit mal or absence seizures which just look like "zoning out." I've had them and it's like you come out of them and you don't remember what you were thinking as if you were thinking nothing and the people around you say you were just staring straight ahead. I had them on Wellbutrin and after a few weeks on it, they went away. You might want to talk to your pdoc and see if it's a possibility for you and if it will go away or if you need to change meds if that is the case. Good Luck! :)

On CB I've read about people saying they are "zoning out" using the term in (at least) 3 ways. A lapse of attention, dissociation or depersonalization/ derealization, and seizures. I'm not saying yours is any of these. Based on your description though a neurologist might be a good idea.Definitely talk with your pdoc

I've been on lithium for four-ish years, Lamictal and Abilify for around six months, and mirtazipine for a month.

I don't think it's seizures or something biological because it really only happens when I'm around other people, or occasionally when I am thinking very hard about something. :/ Now I'm sort of worried. My friends thought it was weird but I kind of assumed it was something normal for people more like me in terms of brain chemistry.

Sound to me like some minor dissociation. If that is the case, it is not unusual since it can be a reaction to stress, or sometimes just 'tuning out'. Not something to panic over in the circumstances you describe,but something you should bring up with your pdoc and therapist.

There are techniques or exercises you can use to remain 'grounded in the moment'. I will leave it to you to do the research on those on the net.

a.m.

I always have several different trains of thoughts running through my head all the time and all at the same time. Sometimes it's hard to focus on what real people are saying and just listen to the thoughts in my head. Then 15 minutes will go by and I realize I haven't been talking out loud because I've been too busy having a conversation in my head.

I have this no matter if I'm manic/depressive/normal, so I don't think it's so much bipolar as just a facet of my personality. Though I admit it is harder to quiet the conversations in my mind when I'm symptomatic.

Doesn't sound like catatonia, well that i know of. When i have been catatonic, it is when i am very depressed and my body and mind slow right down and lasts for hours or days rather than minutes and seconds. I will sit or stand or what ever for hours, some times days. and i wont move and i feel like everything is very loud and I'm sensitive to my surroundings, but i don't move or talk, when people try and move me, they can't.

Other wise i agree with what others have said

I sometimes get the same way. I just kind of 'zone out' for a while. I'm not really aware of what's going on around me. My friends tell me that I'll occasionally say something like 'yeah' or 'uh huh' in response to direct questions. My pdoc believes it may be related to trauma. Have you experienced severe trauma?

Doesn't sound like catatonia, well that i know of. When i have been catatonic, it is when i am very depressed and my body and mind slow right down and lasts for hours or days rather than minutes and seconds. I will sit or stand or what ever for hours, some times days. and i wont move and i feel like everything is very loud and I'm sensitive to my surroundings, but i don't move or talk, when people try and move me, they can't.

Other wise i agree with what others have said

That is catatonia.

Archived