CrazyBoards.org

Unable to cry

Please help... I haven't really been able to cry in a while, even though I really want to. I miss it. Is it because I take an SSRI? I'm still extremely anxious, but I don't know if my meds are the cause of this or what to do.

Anyone else having this problem?

I have exactly the same problem and started a similar thread a few days to a week ago. SSRIs always cause this in me, but I've been off an SSRI since April, and I still have the problem. It is very painful sometimes when you need to cry and can't.

i understand, and i'm sorry Bueler, i know it feels really awful. for me it's always because of some med change or another. i don't know what to do about it except more med changes. which i suppose is worth it, because feeling that lump in your throat for hours is worse than crying for hours (at least to me).

I've done my crying in shifts. I spent 10 years not crying on SSRis and the last few years since I've been off of them catching up. .I'm up for another 10 years finding it hard to cry if it means I'm not depressed.

Crying doesn't always mean you're depressed, and if you are, sometimes it is very helpful. I've always felt better the day after a good cry.

I've done my crying in shifts. I spent 10 years not crying on SSRis and the last few years since I've been off of them catching up. .I'm up for another 10 years finding it hard to cry if it means I'm not depressed.

Crying doesn't always mean you're depressed, and if you are, sometimes it is very helpful. I've always felt better the day after a good cry.

I quite agree.. crying can be a release. My point is that given the choice between finding it hard to cry and being clinically depressed I would choose the former.

I quite agree.. crying can be a release. My point is that given the choice between finding it hard to cry and being clinically depressed I would choose the former.

I see what you mean. In my case, the ADs don't work, and I'm still clinically depressed and can't cry. It's a horrible state to be in.

I'm still depressed sometimes too, but I really hate the AD putting a chemical block on crying, it's not natural, and it feels not right.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it... I mean, I've taken an SSRI for 7 years or so, but lately I've been a lot more emotional, improving myself, etc. and I just want to be able to cry.

I'm still depressed sometimes too, but I really hate the AD putting a chemical block on crying, it's not natural, and it feels not right.

I'm going to talk to my doctor about it... I mean, I've taken an SSRI for 7 years or so, but lately I've been a lot more emotional, improving myself, etc. and I just want to be able to cry.

What if you asked your pdoc to switch out the Celexa for something else? Like perhaps going with Remeron full time instead of PRN? Or maybe a trycyclic? I don't think they are as bad as SSRIs.

ETA: Or perhaps lowing your Celexa dose?

Edited by jt07

Please help... I haven't really been able to cry in a while, even though I really want to.

For me, sentimental music and/or exercise will open up my emotions and the crying just comes right out. It helps to be somewhat alone or wearing dark glasses. Sometimes just a few tears can be a huge relief.

I know I usually get uncomfortable when I have irrational emotions, which is why I take medicine, so that I can experience a more normal range of emotions, or at least "set the stage" for some brain chemistry that fosters healthy thinking and emotions.

But, in these cases, where I really need to mourn, or my current dilemma, I'm so happy and emotionally overwhelmed (in a good way), but I just can't bring myself to tears, and I know how good it feels. I miss it.

I guess I don't miss crying every night with no hope for tomorrow, but maybe I can reach some balance if I talk to my psychiatrist about lowering the Celexa. I don't have an appointment for a while, and I'm really working hard not to screw with my meds by myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My dogs died, I had to sell most of my beloved livestock and my husband left me. I can't cry and I wish I could. It feel like I am too hard and uncaring. I don't like it one bit. I am on Seroquel, Trazadone, Trileptal, Lamictal and Cymbalta. I used to be a cryer and I want to cry when appropriate because I would feel better..I feel appropriate pain inside but my tears don't come.

Edited by MoonGoddess

I just recently quit Cymbalta after several years,and before that a few years of Efexor. One of the biggest changes is being able to cry... even a sad song or some crappy melodrama on TV can trigger it. But it also seems that it works the other way too; I`ve been laughing spontaneously as well, I´ve haven´t really laughed in years before this. So I guess the SSRI´s flatten your emotions from both ends. It is quite hard trying to re-adjust to having emotions.

• 2 years later...

I told my shrink that the dosage of Prozac I was on was making me feel flat and emotionless, so we changed the dose, but when I came back next visit and said is there another drug I could take for occasions when I get overly caught up in emotion (anxiety, terror, paranoia, catastrophic thoughts, whatever) she said well when we raised your dose of Prozac you said you were flat... that's pretty much your choices... emotionless or in your case overly emotional. I thought are you kidding me?! You really don't have a way to pin down a mental health drug cocktail that can make me feel relatively normal for once in my life?! It's either all on or all covered in a heavy sleepy blanket? But hey, old me can get an erection, so we are doing well as a society! WTF?! :frustrated:  :blink:  :surprised:  :wall: