CrazyBoards.org

Trileptal and add Lamictal?

Hi CB,

Just wanted to get a couple opinions, I am on 1800mg trileptal, 60mg of cymbalta, up to 1mg of Xanax and a couple blood pressure meds, oh and adderall xr. I have been reading that lamictal can be very effective for depression and is somewhat activating. I am ALWAYS tired and have recently noticed more and more thoughts that overwhelm me and leads me to think of ending it all. I know I wont act on it but the felling of total helplessness and anxiety mixed in is just getting to me.

I quit caffeine for a couple weeks and had noticed less anxiety and less energy. Today I drank coffee and had some pep but noticed a crash in the evening, more anxiety and heartburn. I do not really want to deal with that so that is what leads me to the question about adding lamictal to my meds and maybe cutting out some trileptal?

File this under YMMV. I take carbamazepine (Tegretol, the older brother of Trileptal) and until recently was taking 600 mg of Lamictal. I know that for many people Lamictal is a miracle drug, but for me, it did nothing. I am now in the process of titrating down and off. Not to discourage you, but it takes a long time to titrate up to an effective dose on Lamictal. We're talking months, maybe, before you reach the dose that you need.

So I probably won't get the results I'm looking for right away. I will need to give it several weeks/month to start doing it's thing, if it works for me that is. I'm happy to hear that the combo is not unheard of. Thanx jt.

Archived