CrazyBoards.org

dangers of bruising?

hey everybody

I have been struggling with cutting on and off for about 1 year and 1/2 but did some very slight bruising as far back as I can remember.... really minor.

anyways I did hurt my legs/thighs by bruising about a month ago and it lasted a few weeks... maybe 2-3... possibly 4 (not going to go into detail because I dont want this to trigger in any way)

before that I had been self injury free for 2 months... not long but still a success in my eyes.

ive only bruised myself to that extent a few times but I was wondering if there are any dangers to it. I try to think of it as not being dangerous compared to cutting but there has to be some dangerous side effects right?

I am curious to see what all of you think/know about this and if anybody else here does it too.

I hope you all are succeeding on your path of recovery :)

Hi there -

In terms of bruising vs cutting, and bruising being more safe, we tend not to support that point of view, as we are an abstinence-based site, rather than a harm reduction-based one when it comes to self-injury. All kinds of self-harm are dangerous, and at least for me, even if I start off doing something relatively "mild" it will often escalate if I don't nip it in the bud.

Hi there -

In terms of bruising vs cutting, and bruising being more safe, we tend not to support that point of view, as we are an abstinence-based site, rather than a harm reduction-based one when it comes to self-injury. All kinds of self-harm are dangerous, and at least for me, even if I start off doing something relatively "mild" it will often escalate if I don't nip it in the bud.

very true. I am trying really hard to stop but as it is somewhat currently a struggle for me I just want to know if there is anything to look for as far as it being unsafe. anything that should cause me alarm and signal that I need medical attention.

what you say is very very true though. I know it could lead to other types of SI. I am hoping to stop and am resisting the temptation right now and the past few days, trying to look for some tangible reason that will stop me... such as knowing how dangerous it is haha. so I am almost trying to find some dangerous aspect of it although half of me that wants to self injure doesnt want there to be anything dangerous about it... :unsure:

thankyou for replying

If you feel like SIing, take a look at these pinned threads on this portion of the board:

Yes, bruising can be dangerous. I mean, first off, the ways one might go about bruising oneself can often lead to a lot more than just a bruise.

A bruise, or contusion, is pretty much internal bleeding. Not sexy; not safe.

If you feel like SIing, take a look at these pinned threads on this portion of the board:

Yes, bruising can be dangerous. I mean, first off, the ways one might go about bruising oneself can often lead to a lot more than just a bruise.

A bruise, or contusion, is pretty much internal bleeding. Not sexy; not safe.

thankyou so much :) I LOVED the second one. the fact that it differentiated between each feeling that occurs when wanting to self harm was amazing! :P the only downside is I cant do a lot of the loud ones because I live with other people haha. but I will definitely use some of those :)

haha I laughed at the 'sexy' part :P

yeah I actually never thought about the part where the ways to bruise might break a bone or something. thanks for pointing that out and thanks for replying

Bruises are ruptures in the small blood vessels under the skin.

Repeated injury could permanently damage the blood vessels, causing damage to the skin, neurological problems to the pain sensors, heat/cold sensation, etc.

If damage is done to the underlying muscle, the muscle fibers may be damaged affecting strength, flexibility and range of motion. A more serious consequence is the possibility of calcification of the injured muscle. This can be quite painful and debilitating. Surgery is about the only possible treatment; is not always possible and may not be successful. Bad stuff .

How about a rubber band for your wrist as Behavior Mod?

a.m. :)

Hey.

So here is where I am with this:

First. It's awesome that you're trying to quit. That takes balls, and just the decision alone is, as far as I'm concerned, worth note and congratulation. Also, BS on 2 months not being long. That's sixty days of successes. Know a lot of people who have kept their New Year's resolution to stop smoking or lose weight or keep in touch with their friends better? Because I don't.

Personally, I don't like the idea of sorting self-harm by severity of damage. Yeah, the physical harm is lessened, which is sort of better. But it also shifts the focus to the damage, which sets expectations around days free, and actually reinforces the horseshit idea that if it doesn't scar, it's not "real" self-harm. I watched someone who had been clean for a hundred days psych herself into cutting, and now she has spiraled right back to where she was before she started trying to abstain. Setting goals is great, as far as it goes, but it's way too easy to set oneself up for failure, and lapse right back into that helpless "oh woe is me" state of mind, dismissing all the interim progress and rendering it useless.

You can do better than that, yeah? Yeah.

To quit, and make it stick, what you need to focus on is why you do it, and what it gives you. Then you can find better replacement sources of satisfaction to tide you over while you work (hopefully in therapy) to solve the underlying causes as to why you started in the first place.

If the distractions work, why do they work? Can you apply that knowledge to strategies that will help you when you can't get to the list link? That might be a good way to give yourself a leg up.

A.M. has a great idea...as usual. I've found the rubber band trick very useful: when I catch myself dwelling too much on self-harm or related thoughts, it's one quick snap with the rubber band as a reminder to stay conscious of where my wayward brain goes, and focus on something else for awhile. Really does help.

haha I laughed at the 'sexy' part :P

I try. ;)

thankyou so much :) I LOVED the second one. the fact that it differentiated between each feeling that occurs when wanting to self harm was amazing! :P the only downside is I cant do a lot of the loud ones because I live with other people haha. but I will definitely use some of those :)

There are a lot of things one can do. What one really wants to strive for is not needing to take the emotional pain out on yourself physically and to develop the proper coping mechanisms to deal with said emotions. Therapy is best for that.

Bruises are ruptures in the small blood vessels under the skin.

Repeated injury could permanently damage the blood vessels, causing damage to the skin, neurological problems to the pain sensors, heat/cold sensation, etc.

If damage is done to the underlying muscle, the muscle fibers may be damaged affecting strength, flexibility and range of motion. A more serious consequence is the possibility of calcification of the injured muscle. This can be quite painful and debilitating. Surgery is about the only possible treatment; is not always possible and may not be successful. Bad stuff .

How about a rubber band for your wrist as Behavior Mod?

a.m. :)

oh wow. thats pretty intense. thankyou for telling me that.

about the rubber band.... I took a few days to reply to this because I wanted to try it out and get back to you...

I love it.... thats kinda a problem. I have a thick hairband and snap it wayyyy too many times. I really like it but its still an addictive self harm type of thing. I have tried the icecube method in the past (holding an icecube to forearm/wrist) but I really liked that too. I just went through the icecubes so quickly and my arm actually started to stay cold and red for a while. I almost feel like that damaged the nerves a little... I dont know if thats possible just with a ton of icecubes haha but it just feels that way sometimes. I dont feel cold there very much even though it was a year ago.

so I will just have to figure something else out.

Hey.

So here is where I am with this:

First. It's awesome that you're trying to quit. That takes balls, and just the decision alone is, as far as I'm concerned, worth note and congratulation. Also, BS on 2 months not being long. That's sixty days of successes. Know a lot of people who have kept their New Year's resolution to stop smoking or lose weight or keep in touch with their friends better? Because I don't.

Personally, I don't like the idea of sorting self-harm by severity of damage. Yeah, the physical harm is lessened, which is sort of better. But it also shifts the focus to the damage, which sets expectations around days free, and actually reinforces the horseshit idea that if it doesn't scar, it's not "real" self-harm. I watched someone who had been clean for a hundred days psych herself into cutting, and now she has spiraled right back to where she was before she started trying to abstain. Setting goals is great, as far as it goes, but it's way too easy to set oneself up for failure, and lapse right back into that helpless "oh woe is me" state of mind, dismissing all the interim progress and rendering it useless.

You can do better than that, yeah? Yeah.

To quit, and make it stick, what you need to focus on is why you do it, and what it gives you. Then you can find better replacement sources of satisfaction to tide you over while you work (hopefully in therapy) to solve the underlying causes as to why you started in the first place.

If the distractions work, why do they work? Can you apply that knowledge to strategies that will help you when you can't get to the list link? That might be a good way to give yourself a leg up.

something I have to say before I reply with what you said.... I love your 'writer's voice' haha your personality just shows through with this for some reason :P I know thats weird of me to say but you are funny in some way even though what you said wasnt meant to be funny. you just have a lot of personality... it seems like that at least.

okay so here is the real reply:

thanks for agreeing that 2 months feels like a real success haha. it felt like it to me although in my self-doubt it seems like it was nothing... I mean there are 12 months in a year and if I only lasted 2 months it is kinda a short time. but I am trying really hard not to go back to it :) also I live in CA so its still pretty warm and I want to be able to wear t-shirts and shorts sometimes haha.

I am in therapy... only once a month for about a year haha but I dont know if its helping a whole lot.... I still put that wall up of 'everythings fine' even when I am there. so I really need to work on that.

also in response to the other message about the rubber band method.... not a good idea for me. I took a few days off before coming back here to reply, just to try it.... and it was awful. I LOVE it and thats defintiely an issue. I snap it all the time (when there arent people around haha) and my wrist gets pretty red from it.... :wall: AND the icecube method (holding it to my arm) is not effective either. I tried it about a year ago and it didnt work. I liked that one too much as wel.

Seriously like 3 weeks ago i asked cutting vs. punching and who did what. I got shut right down. lol. I do both now. At the moment Im cutting and drinking. Yay for depresson! >_<

sorry! I typed in 'bruise and 'bruising' as the keyword to look up so It missed the punching one. I will go check it out now. well at least you have a response here right? haha.

im sorry you are struggling :(

Hey, thank you. ^_^ I try.

In a way it's too bad about the rubber band method, but on the other hand, I think, if I'd started with it before I really took hold of quitting, I would have been the same way. Such is life. There are plenty of other methods out there, and a negative result is still useful to the learning process.

I don't think the number of days without cutting is worth a whole lot, taken by itself. What's important is why you went two months: what you found that worked to help you, and how you can take that, possibly improve it, and put it back to work. I'm not perfectly clean. I still cut now and again. But the important thing is that I'm learning all the time how not to do it. I no longer think giving in is very important. I don't pay any attention; just clean up, stick a dressing on there and go back to the drawing board.

Therapy has been somewhat useful for me, but I didn't start getting a lot out of it until I let myself complain about something in session. It opened the floodgates, and suddenly I was not only whining about the problems I was dealing with, I was putting the information together, and thinking critically about it. Giving head space to the things I've shamed myself into ignoring has helped me so much I wonder how badly I fucked myself up by not doing it a long time ago. Learning to be less emotionally guarded with someone takes guts, especially if you've had a lot of practice at keeping things under lock and key. Be patient with yourself. If you don't have a rant journal, I recommend it. Bitching unabashedly about the things that get on your nerves will help: not only will you feel better, you'll have it written down so you can start looking for patterns in what mashes your buttons.

Edited to fix a typo. My English. Let me show you it.

Archived