CrazyBoards.org

how normal are hypnagogic hallucinations?

how often do you guys have them if at all? i get them pretty often, almost every day, and i see them as a kind of inner guidance when i'm able to decipher the messages i get, is that wrong?

They are hallucinations, and like delusions have no underlying meaning. I would not use them to guide anything. There have been a number of posts about them and they seem common.

nf

I tend to have them more when I'm messing with my dose of Seroquel - it seems to cause them. They're totally normal though, and no doctor has ever worried about mine. Then, I don't have any particularly meaningful ones.

What you are describing does not sound like hypnopompic/gogic events. It sounds like psychotic delusions/hallucinations.

Hypnopompic/gogic 'hallucinations' are simply an extended dream state where the brain is slow in making a sharp cutover between wake/sleep. They are extremely common among the population of healthy, normal people. They are not considered to be any sort of mental illness.

What you are describing does not sound like hypnopompic/gogic events. It sounds like psychotic delusions/hallucinations.

Hypnopompic/gogic 'hallucinations' are simply an extended dream state where the brain is slow in making a sharp cutover between wake/sleep. They are extremely common among the population of healthy, normal people. They are not considered to be any sort of mental illness.

could you please elaborate on why it sounds like psychotic hallucinations? to elaborate, i usually get them when i'm lying down, when i'm about to sleep but not totally asleep, i might get them when i'm not drifting off at all, just lying down trying to sleep. and when i hear them, it's like t hey're coming from within not outside of me. rarely, i get them when not lying down or tired. the "voices" if i could call them that, are not demanding or negative, they're these strange messages, sometimes they seem positive, one time i got a voice saying "poor kid" in a sympathetic "tone" I remember before I went into the hospital this summer and i was trying hard to cope with DBT skills so as not to wind up there (even though i did anyway) i heard a voice while swimming and i was feeling a great deal of despair at that moment, voices like "despair" and "one day you will regain your inner strength" came up. as far as i understand hallucinations are usually derogatory, degrading, that sort of thing. sometimes i want the voices to stay with me. if they don't contain any meaning and they're just about illness then why can i often derive some positive meaning from them?

could you please elaborate on why it sounds like psychotic hallucinations?

The reason it sounds psychotic is because you are ascribing meaning to them and using them for guidance. Most people with hypnopompic hallucinations don't see any meaning in them and view them as just something that occurs. I have them sometimes, mostly auditory, when I am going to sleep. But there is no meaning it it.

The reason it sounds psychotic is because you are ascribing meaning to them and using them for guidance. Most people with hypnopompic hallucinations don't see any meaning in them and view them as just something that occurs.

This

Having a hypnopompic/gogic experience is normal. Infusing it with meaning, interpreting it, that is where you are getting into psychotic territory, even more so if you believe your interpretation or if it influences your behavior in any way

Null, I'm not throwing stones at you.

I do find that my dreams are sometimes helpful in sorting out problems or understanding life's situations.

I am not going to justify your experiences. If you were someone who never had any psychotic experiences (let a lone a dx), then it would be reasonable to chalk your descriptions to really heavy dreams and someone who puts great emphasis in them. You don't fall into that category. You have a dx of psychosis.

Take inspiration where you find it. Be sure to keep your pdoc informed of these experiences.

regards, a.m.

Guest Vapourware

I'm actually going to against the grain somewhat and suggest that what Nullchamber is experiencing isn't psychotic. It sounds like your usual hypnagogic hallucinations, and I don't necessarily think that because Nullchamber is ascribing extra meaning to them means they are psychotic.

To extrapolate a little, people who are otherwise of a normal mental state will ascribe also meanings to hypnagogic hallucinations. A cursory glance at wikipedia [yes, I understand wiki is not a definitive resource] will provide you with examples of people who have used hypnagogic hallucinations as insight into problems. Therefore, to me, ascribing meanings to hypnagogic hallucinations is not psychotic in itself.

However, if the hallucinations persist when in a waking state, then it becomes a different issue.

PS: not all hallucinations are negative. Some can be positive - my therapist used to have a client who had auditory hallucinations, but they were encouraging voices. The trick with treating her client was making sure he was stable and also retaining those positive voices, because he felt depressed without them - they were like a cheerleading squad in his head.

Some can be positive - my therapist used to have a client who had auditory hallucinations, but they were encouraging voices. The trick with treating her client was making sure he was stable and also retaining those positive voices, because he felt depressed without them - they were like a cheerleading squad in his head.

interesting way to put it, but that's somewhat what it's like! in my case they are difficult to decipher (and difficult to recall completely) but they ARE encouraging and do keep me going. to reduce it to pathology would take a lot away from me. psychiatry might call it "pseudohallucinations" but i call them a source of inspiration.

A lot of people ascribe meaning to hypnagogic hallucinations. To all who jumped to psychosis because meaning was sought, perhaps do a little research first.

Null, assuming these are hypnagogic hallucinations, you really should work on letting them go as something that happens but means nothing. Otherwise, it's like saying a creak in the house is a ghost. No, it's just a noise.

A lot of people ascribe meaning to hypnagogic hallucinations. To all who jumped to psychosis because meaning was sought, perhaps do a little research first.

Null, assuming these are hypnagogic hallucinations, you really should work on letting them go as something that happens but means nothing. Otherwise, it's like saying a creak in the house is a ghost. No, it's just a noise.

whatever they are, no, it's nothing like that

Actually, when I posted I had in mind an entry from Campbell's psychiatric dictionary, available on google books, entry under Hallucinations, the last line, "But the interpretation he makes of these stimuli is a delusion." That's why I wrote what I wrote.

ETA: it's referencing "messages" a hypothetical patient thought he was receiving. Our OP also says he receives these as messages

ETA: Also, he writes, "i heard a voice while swimming." No longer hypnogogic/pompic

ETA: I do agree though that probably a lot of people have ascribed some kind of meaning to such hypnopompic/gogic hallucinations throughout history and they wouldn't all be psychotic for doing so. I think it depends on the content, and how strongly held the belief is, for starters

I'll get these hypnagogic experiences whenever I don't take the clonazepam at night. It's apparently normal but if your taking a sedative and your getting these experiences you might want to talk to your doctor. If that's the case that is.

for the most part whenever i take a klonopin i dont get any sort of bad nightmares either way. But i dont see how th taking a sedative or not would correlate with these exp's and make you want to talk to your doctor.

I'll get these hypnagogic experiences whenever I don't take the clonazepam at night. It's apparently normal but if your taking a sedative and your getting these experiences you might want to talk to your doctor. If that's the case that is.

for the most part whenever i take a klonopin i dont get any sort of bad nightmares either way. But i dont see how th taking a sedative or not would correlate with these exp's and make you want to talk to your doctor.

Well it's somewhat common for people taking medications that cause sedation like seroquel to get these experiences. I take seroquel and if I don't take a clonazepam then I will almost always get these experiences. So when I say that if your taking a med that causes sedation and your getting these experiences, there could be a correlation and that you might want to see a doctor. If that's the case. Also just out of observation from reading the posts in this thread there are I think a couple people saying that they have these experiences and there on med that causes sedation. I don't mean to speak up for people when saying this but from my point of view there sort of is a correlation between these meds and hypnagogia. But I'm no professional so I won't insist strongly with that observation to be conclusive.

This post is ridiculous

Archived