CrazyBoards.org

I've been cutting back on drinking, which is to say I'm trying not to drink during the work week. So normally at the least I would have a glass of scotch, 3 fingers or so, before I went to bed. But now I'm not drinking and it takes me between an hour to three hours to fall asleep and I wake up about ever 45 minutes or so. I even tried some over the counter sleeping pills which did diddly for me. Well maybe not nothing, but I still woke frequently, took only about an hour to fall asleep and instead of waking feeling not well rested I wake feeling groggy. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems when drinking less then usual?

I need to cut that out. The drinking thing. It makes me more sociable. Not a good thing. I shouldn't be interacting with people. But in the mean time I'm going to go try and beat my BAC record ( .32ish) Then I'll sleep good lolz. Now goes drinking to win.

I need to cut that out. The drinking thing. It makes me more sociable. Not a good thing. I shouldn't be interacting with people. But in the mean time I'm going to go try and beat my BAC record ( .32ish) Then I'll sleep good lolz. Now goes drinking to win.

Why shouldn't you be interacting with people?

And what is going on, like, right now? You don't sound like you are in a very good place at the moment.

I shouldn't be interacting with people because it makes me weak. Because I'm a shitty human being. Because normal relationships are for people who are capable of maintaining such a relationship.

Ha right now its 2am my time I'm drunk as shit. Still not black out drunk after about 2 bottles. I'm thinking of trying to sleep because I hate being awake. Honestly I'm just bored of life. I mentioned my hallucinations to some other marines by asking if something was really there ( I wasn't sure (turns out it was but it was a lamp in a window instead of a person watching me.)) and they laughed as though it was a joke. Right now, both my room mates are asleep, I just got back and am drunk but cant sleep.

Life is awesome.

It's good that you are cutting down on your drinking, it kind of sounds like maybe you need to.

drinking to sleep is a common issue (at least it was for me until I got medicated). I find things like ambien (hell even just melatonin, when I'm stable) do great things for my sleep, along with the seroquel that I take for my BP.

You may be drinking to mask sx, due to an ETOH disorder, both, or even something else. I can't dx you obviously. But I'd say getting in touch with a pdoc who specializes in addiction/meds might be a good way to sort some of this shit out. I take really quite heavy duty stuff to sleep when I'm episodic because I MUST sleep, and even as a former alcoholic my doc is fine with it, because I use them responsibly and don't drink anymore.

They don't leave me feeling either hung over or feeling shitty about myself, which is rather pleasant.

You have tons of options for sleep meds to try, but many of them include not drinking on top of them, for safety reasons, so you really have to decide if you are going to cut that shit out. Seriously, it's kind of dangerous, if you decide to go the prescription drug route as most of them at best are hypnotics, at worst benzos, though you might start with trazodone for safety reasons as if you drink on top of that, you are less likely to take a dirt nap.

Good luck.

Anna

I'm the last one to say I know anything about his, but did you do a tour of duty and did the sleep problems become worse after that? If so, you are probably masking your real issues with alcohol. That's not going to help you. There are resources, aren't there?

As for prescription drugs I would like to explore that and I probably will at my next duty station (I'm leaving this one soon). I don't really know what sx, or ETOH...or most abbreviations on here.

As to a deployment. No, while I haven't been deployed to the desert I've been forward deployed for the last two years. But that just means I've been stationed over seas (Japan). Though every room mate I've ever had thinks I have PTSD from being a civilian. Apparently the other night in the middle of the night my room mate was up talking to his girl on Skype and he coughed and I sat up suddenly with my knife and scared the shit out of my room mate then just immediately went back to sleep. There are resources for PTSD, but that would mean I would have to get help which I guess I'm just scared shitless of doing.

Also I, as a civilian, have abused trazadone. That stuff is amazing.

Edited by Erich Zann

As for prescription drugs I would like to explore that and I probably will at my next duty station (I'm leaving this one soon). I don't really know what sx, or ETOH...or most abbreviations on here.

As to a deployment. No, while I haven't been deployed to the desert I've been forward deployed for the last two years. But that just means I've been stationed over seas (Japan). Though every room mate I've ever had thinks I have PTSD from being a civilian. Apparently the other night in the middle of the night my room mate was up talking to his girl on Skype and he coughed and I sat up suddenly with my knife and scared the shit out of my room mate then just immediately went back to sleep. There are resources for PTSD, but that would mean I would have to get help which I guess I'm just scared shitless of doing.

Also I, as a civilian, have abused trazadone. That stuff is amazing.

EtOh = ethyl alcohol (or ethanol), the kind of alcohol we like to drink

sx = symptoms (sometimes s/sx or "signs and symptoms"*)

There's also tx --> treatment, dx --> diagnosis, and rx --> prescription

*signs are supposed to be the stuff you can measure or observe (ex. blood pressure, agitation), symptoms are the stuff the client tells you about

And I think you definitely could've developed something from your civilian life (later compounded by military stuff). I hope you do get help, and I hope you don't mix your sleep meds with alcohol because I really believe that stuff can get better for you.

Edit: Yes, pdoc = psychiatrist and tdoc = therapist

Edited by Artemisia

Aha learned I am, thank you. I've picking up that pdoc and tdoc is physician and therapist? Is that correct? So much slang everywhere.

pdoc is psychiatrist. Most of us crazy people see one.

MD or GP or PCP is physician.

You are right about tdoc being therapist

Note, also, that alcohol can interfere with good, restful, sleep, screwing you up for the next day. Giving up the booze can take some adjusting to, sleepwise.

If you're having sleep problems in general, alcohol really isn't the way to approach it, being that it screws up the whole good sleep thing. And that can just make other symtptoms worse.

Hi,

Totally possible to "get" PTSD from an earlier civilian issue.

While I have tried several rx and OTC sleep pills - I still don't have an answer. Its kind of interesting that you previously abused trazadone. My experiences with it was totally black and white. When first rx'd I took 1/2 a tablet (i dont remember the dosage) and I was out for 12 hours. A year later, I tried it again and a whole pill did nothing. no sleep.

I have no idea how the chemical structures of all these various sleep meds + alcohol work.

May the sleep gods give us poor insomniacs a break!

db

• 1 month later...