CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

My partner is in the NOS category, with schizoid flavor, or some such thing. She was just diagnosed a couple of months ago. Anyway, I wanted your opinion. Today she asked me if I am poisoning her. I know she gets paranoid delusions, but she has never before mentioned that these things might involve me. Well, I didn't want to get in a big discussion with her tonight. She was on her way to campout with her friends, and I had just got done with hours of yardwork and I just wanted to eat my damned dinner.

I was frankly very shocked that she asked me this and kinda pissed, but I didn't want to get into it, so I just changed the subject. I'm not even sure that I said, "no, I'm not poisoning you." I think I did, not sure. I just launched into this chatter about our mouse problem out in the shed and how the rat poison had killed two mice, and hey, who put THAT poison out there (knowing it was her). You know, so just tried to make a joke.

Is that OK for now? I do want to revisit this topic with her, but I just felt that since she was just minutes from going away for the weekend, I wasn't going to get into it.

-- MK

and by the way, my board name comes from that scene in "Carrie" where the mom says to Carrie, "they're gonna laugh at you!" My partner and I always thought that was one of the best parts of the movie

Guest Vapourware

The delusion that <insert someone/entity> is poisoning a person is fairly common for people with psychosis. At the heart of it, however, is that it IS a delusion, and therefore not grounded in reality. Been there, done that - I accused my psychiatrist of trying to kill me through medication, and of inducing my symptoms [that was a rather interesting conversation].

Is your girlfriend taking antipsychotics? She may need a med tweak.

In the meantime, I personally found having people constantly reality-check me to be helpful, although it was hard to accept that my beliefs were erroneous. People kept challenging my views, and telling me that there was no grounds for me to believe that my pdoc was trying to poison me.

Hi,

She just started taking meds in June. The initial dose was very low and she said it helped for like two days. Recently the dose was doubled, but is still quite low. She said she has noticed changes, but implied there is still a lot of squirrelly stuff in her brain.

I got the feeling that when she asked me if I am poisoning her, she was doing a reality check thing. Like she knows I'm probably not poisoning her, but she's just checking. To me it was rather unsettling, because she had just brought home a tray of fried chicken and there I was about to eat some, and she's asking me about poisoning. yech.

The whole thing with her is that various psychoses have been going on for decades. She's 46. But something happened in April that totally freaked her out and she said some things to people and I got very, very worried. And after she calmed down, like days later, she admitted to me that things in general have been getting very weird for her. So after I pushed her a little, she finally agreed to go to a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

Anyhow, I don't want to list all her symptoms, etc. I try to deal with it in a nonjudgmental way and not get too panicked about anything she says. I just worry that other people, like our neighbors and her co-workers, won't take it that way, so I hope to heck she gets on the right meds.

-- MK

The delusion that <insert someone/entity> is poisoning a person is fairly common for people with psychosis. At the heart of it, however, is that it IS a delusion, and therefore not grounded in reality. Been there, done that - I accused my psychiatrist of trying to kill me through medication, and of inducing my symptoms [that was a rather interesting conversation].

Is your girlfriend taking antipsychotics? She may need a med tweak.

In the meantime, I personally found having people constantly reality-check me to be helpful, although it was hard to accept that my beliefs were erroneous. People kept challenging my views, and telling me that there was no grounds for me to believe that my pdoc was trying to poison me.

I'm sorry to close this topic, and I hope you are getting good feedback on it, but i'm afraid our user agreement points out we are not a third person site, so we really try not to give advice in these situations.. There are many other good third person websites where you can get information about helping your gf and I think it's admirable that you want to do so. It may also be worth checking out your local NAMI chapter to get more info (you can google them).

i do wish you and your g/f the best. If you yourself have an Mi and are discussing how this affects YOUR MI we do allow a certain amount of leeway, but this does not sound like it's the case. If i'm incorrect on that, please PM me and let me know, and post a new topic a bit more focused on the family situation generally.

Best of luck,

Anna (Mod)

OK, I reopened this topic as I read your intro and saw that you do have some flavor of MI. My apologies, I saw these posts in the wrong order.

My advice to you would still be the same (check out NAMI and some third person sites for more feedback) and make sure you are taking good care of yourself while your g/f is going through a hard time.

Anna

Archived