CrazyBoards.org

Laptop's been running really slowly.....

I'm not really a luddite, but nearly. I have a seven year old Fujitsu laptop that has been running more slowly lately. Is there some reputable freeware out there that will check it to see if too much junk is running in the background?

I'm on a satellite connection which sucks, but even at places with high speed connections, it seems poky. I have Norton anti-virus installed, but that's the limit of my virus protections. I'm running Windows, and the defragment window shows 79% free space, so it's not like the memory is full. Also, it said I don't need to defragment at this time.

Any ideas, besides taking it into the shop?

Norton sucks and will slow down you computer a ton.

Get rid of it and use microsoft security essentials. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

Ccleaner is good for cleaning out miscellaneous crap that might be clogging things up.

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

There should be a task viewer available through the windows control panel. Most recent versions of windows will give you one when you hit ctl-alt-delete too. The problem is trying to tell what processes are needed from ones that are not.

Uninstall any software or doodads that you're not using regularly. You can always install it again if you need it.

Make sure you're up to date on all windows updates. There are optional ones that sometimes don't get downloaded and installed automatically that are still important.

MSConfig. Start--Run--msconfig (type it). Click over to the 'startup' tab and google the entries, various sites will tell you what they all are and whether or not you need them. Usually, you can get rid of a good 50-75% of the start-up items and speed up your computer.

You might want to consider adding some RAM, as well. Windows has a habit of becoming more and more of a memory hog with each update they release. XP shipped with 256MB of RAM, currently it's not recommended to run on anything less than 768MB. If you have a computer0-savvy friend or relative, you might be able to skip the computer shop as installing RAM is fairly easy and Newegg's prices under-cut even the distributors many computer shops use to buy parts.

I agree with the above (nix norton, add memory, get rid of unnecessary programs).

I'm not sure how computer geeky you are. I back up everything constantly on a hard drive. Twice a year or so, I back up programs I've added and want, and my bookmarks. Then I reformat (wipe) my computer and reinstall everything, starting with windows of course. It's not a big deal but the computer runs like it's brand new.

I also bought a cheap laptop on woot.com for $200. But I'm 1/2 geek and have 5 computers.

1/2 geek and have 5 computers? I'd say you're full geek, obscuremachine.

I agree with everyone else, but you might want to think about upgrading. If it's 7 years old, you could get a comparable machine for 200 bucks, so if you can manage to spend 500 on a new laptop, then you won't have to go through countless problems as the parts inevitably wear out. For example, hard drive lifespan, iirc, is about 5 years. (I'm basing this off most computer places' warranty periods, if you're wondering.)

• 2 months later...

Windows is designed to make you want to buy new faster computers. Plus it sucks. I would say give puppy linux (Wary) a try. Its free & designed for 7 year old laptops. You can install it without munging your windows stuff if you either want to switch back or need files from it (Like Word docs, pdfs etc)

Easy fixes for now (I agree, upgrade your computer when you can)

Google "free antivirus" to find decent AV programs for your version of Windows.

Spyware scanner/remover: Malwarebytes' Antimalware, malwarebytes.org

How to tell if msconfig programs should be disabled or not: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

You can do a search on this list for programs you have.

I used the above in a working environment for years.

Archived