CrazyBoards.org

Lamictal Dosing for Antidepressant Effect

The thread by DCBipolar has brought up an interesting question that I have been wondering about for months. I've seen it stated on several occasions by different people that Lamictal functions as an antidepressant at lower doses and as a mood stabilizer at higher doses.

Does this mean it loses some of it's antidepressant properties at higher doses when it becomes more of a mood stabilizer?

The reason I ask this is because I'd been on 400 mg of Lamictal for several months without success. Then I increased the dosage to 600 mg and still no luck. Maybe I should see what I would get at 100 mg or 200 mg? Could it possibly be a better antidepressant at 200 mg than at 400 mg? I'm about ready to completely titrate off, but maybe I should hold at a lower dose for a while?

I think it's possible that lamictal could actually be more effective at lower doses, I mean, it SEEMS to make sense. then again, I'm really not sure there has been a study done, really, and honestly, I'm not a doc. if you are that high and considering dumping it if it's not working, titrating down to 200 or 100 and seeing how you feel doesn't seem like the dumbest decision ever to me. I mean, you'd have to titrate off anyway, right? Just keep in mind it may be overall DeSTABILIZING in general, so you may need to like, add something else.

Anna

I think it's possible that lamictal could actually be more effective at lower doses, I mean, it SEEMS to make sense. then again, I'm really not sure there has been a study done, really, and honestly, I'm not a doc. if you are that high and considering dumping it if it's not working, titrating down to 200 or 100 and seeing how you feel doesn't seem like the dumbest decision ever to me. I mean, you'd have to titrate off anyway, right? Just keep in mind it may be overall DeSTABILIZING in general, so you may need to like, add something else.

Anna

Thanks, Anna. I'm still at 400 mg after being at 600 mg. I don't see how it can destabilize me any more than I already am at the moment. I really need help, and if it is as simple (never is) as a lower dose of Lamictal, I'd be happy.

What was the last dosage increase that you felt an improvement in depression? It makes no sense to go any higher.

I felt an AD improvement going to 225mg over 200mg. For me, cognitive effects can be the trade off. Anyway, as a completely uninformed person on the Internet, well a little informed, I don't believe Lamictal is more of an AD at lower doses. I think it is more prone to cause instability a lower doses. I also think, like indicated in the PI sheet, that the benefit of increasing over 200mg diminishes greatly for most people. That said, I know someone who was taking 700mg and swore by it, so there always are exceptions.

It's very hard to tell exactly when I felt the AD effect. I should have kept a diary. There must have been a sweet spot for me or else it was placebo effect. It happened somewhere between 100 and 200 mgs. I felt great for a week and then it suddenly stopped working. At this time, I thought it stopped working because of the generic that I had been taking. It was before 200 mg because when I got the 200 mg Patriot generic pills, I thought they simply were sugar pills.

Archived