CrazyBoards.org

Nature, not Eli Lilly

Valerian Root absolutely knocked me on my asp as much as any prescribed momentarily thing by a psychiatrist. I drooled, I slept. It worked...better than what a doctor prescribed for what I needed at the time. I hated the feeling and slobbering groginess, but it was $4 and the weaker $79 bottle of ineffectiveness prescribed by my pdoc convinced me much is wrong with the way things work.

Guest Recluse

but it was $4 and the weaker $79 bottle of ineffectiveness prescribed by my pdoc convinced me much is wrong with the way things work.

So, a sleep med that your psychiatrist prescribed for you didn't work as well for you as valerian root did, and therefore there is something wrong with the way things work for everyone? I don't follow.

Huh. I like the generalisation that just because it worked for you like that it'll work like that for everyone. I could take a whole pack of VR, and it would do sweet FA for me.

And that's talking from the point of view of someone who has suffered from insomnia for over a decade, and has tried basically every single off the shelves and OTC sleep remedy that British pharmacies have for sale. I'm only just breaking in to the world of prescribed sleep meds.

You know, I'm very happy for you that VR worked for you (and at certain periods in my cycle I can take melatonin for sleep and be Just Fine) but you know what, at other times, I need a pharmucopia of things to sleep, and without prescribed sleep meds, i'd be completely non functional for large periods of time.

You realize that just because something works (and VR isn't that safe for everyone, either, just btw) for you does not invalidate the full scope of sleep meds that are out there, right/? RIGHT? I mean, these things have been studied in clinical trials it's not like they just shove them on the shelves (unlike VR which may be differing dose strengths, impure, or containing nasty stuff in it, as it is not FDA regulated, etc.), RIGHT?

Seriously, your post was a PITA. But thank you for your superior "wisdom" and "knowledge".

Anna

Valerian doesn't do anything for me, either. I used to make a tea with massive quantities of various herbs, and it sort of worked. However, massive quantities of some of those herbs are probably a bad, bad thing. Hence why I stick to Sonata or Benadryl (Benadryl is around three bucks a box).

Natural is not always better. The fact that it's frequently cheaper than pharmaceuticals is great, but you don't always know what you're actually getting. Just as well, there are medications that were originally derived from something natural (lithium, belladonna), just in a less toxic form. Natural doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work, but it doesn't mean it's always a good thing.

Essential oil of valerian (as aromatherapy) never helped me to fall asleep, but when I finally managed to get to sleep on the nights I tried it, I had horrible nightmares. More horrible than usual, I mean. I'd pick a pharmeceutical over that any day.

Archived