CrazyBoards.org

My boyfriend like i might have schizo-affective, after all the issues i seem to be having. I am being treated for bipolar with psychosis at the moment i think. But i read on here that to be diagnosed with Schizo-affective you have to have psychosis outside of a mood episode, which i am being lead to believe i do. I am still unsure with the hole psychotic thing, and i don't understand it or when i have it or not, but my family says i have been on and off psychotic for 5 years including when i have normal mood, like at the moment. Does that technically mean i have schizo-affective? I am not 100% sure what my diagnosis is because i never asked, but my mom said it was bipolar with psychosis. I will ask my pdoc on the 1st when i am seeing her again. I don't know much about schizo-affective because i only just learned of the name and what it means. Is this right, schizo-affective is a mix between bipolar and schizophrenia?

Do you think it is what i have? ( i know you can't diagnose) but in your opinion.

How likely is it to be my problem? like is it common?

If you were diagnosed with it, how did you take it? Do you agree with it?

Thank you

What are your symptoms? It's hard to have an opinion if you don't disclose your symptoms. Definitely talk to your Pdoc. I have schizoaffective, but I was diagnosed schizophrenic before I had any mood symptoms. I think the psychotic symptoms have to last a certain while outside of mood symptoms in order to be diagnosed schizoaffective.

Good luck. Basically the treatment will be pretty much the same for schizoaffective and bipolar psychosis, if that helps.

Well I am not sure of my symptoms are, but from what others tell me i think its, its that i know everything man made can feel, and communicate with me, through telepathy.The Earth gave me the mission to educate people about this, Plus i hear poeple such as the Man who tells me about my future,and the chosen one for communicating with natural things, others don't seem to hear through telepathy. Also the NAZIs are after me because of this knowledge. They want me dead, so people wont learn the truth about the world. This is all very real and scarey for me. - are those symptoms ?

I also get Manic, Mixed and depressed - when i am manic, i get hyper and spend money stupidly or just give it to randoms, don't sleep, forget to eat, start loads of projects and Paint and clean and speak so fast others can't understand me lol

- when mixed, i get angry and rage, and irritated to everything and everyone one, heaps of energy and start heaps of projects, don't sleep or eat

- when depressed, i sleep all day, i don't eat, i go numb and flat or mood, i get angry sometimes, i feel hopeless and worthless.

I know my bipolar symptoms much more because i was diagnosed it when i was 17. I am 20 now.

I hope this explains my symptoms enough.

Guest Vapourware

Schizoaffective is basically a combination of schizophrenia symptoms and mood symptoms, with the schizophrenia symptoms having to last at least two weeks outside of a mood episode [i.e. you are not mixed, manic or depressed].

There are two types of schizoaffective:

+ Bipolar type - schizophrenia symptoms with mania and depression;

+ Depressed type - schizophrenia symptoms with depression only.

From the sounds of it, you do have some psychotic symptoms - the whole thing about nazis, telepathy etc. don't have a concrete basis for belief. I recall reading another thread of yours about your beliefs and I won't re-tread why I personally believed they were delusional, nor will I repeat what others have said, except to say that basically, those beliefs are erroneous because you don't have concrete proof.

As for whether they are due to bipolar or schizoaffective is hard to say given your information, because I don't know - and apparently you don't know either - whether you've had at least 2 weeks of schizophrenic symptoms without a mood episode.

Asking your pdoc is a good idea, I suspect that they have a decent medical history of you.

How did I find out I was sza? I was bipolar with psychotic features for a while, before I had a few more episodes and my pdoc revised my dx to schizoaffective. His rationale was that there were a few episodes that occurred outside of a mood episode, which justified the schizoaffective tag moreso than bipolar. I agree with the dx as I think that in hindsight, I can get some pretty prominent psychotic episodes. Getting the label didn't bother me much because the treatment between sza and bipolar with psychotic features is pretty similar.

Agreed with vape, she covered it pretty fully. If you see your delusions as true beliefs, though, your doc may not be as aware of them if you aren't mentioning them. do make sure you mention all of them.

That said, standard tx for both is mood stabilizer plus AAP, though perhaps leaning a bit more heavily on an AAP might help you, i'm not sure. definitely worth bringing up with pdoc, especially if your delusions are long lasting and pretty fixed. Plus whatever else your doc throws into the mix of course.....

Anna

I am still unsure with the hole psychotic thing, and i don't understand it or when i have it or not

I would encourage you to set up appointments with a tdoc for this. You need to learn specific skills for detecting your own psychotic symptoms. Using these skills it will get easier for you to know what is psychotic and what isn't

ETA When you see your pdoc on the 1st, you can ask for a referral to a tdoc

ETA One such skill is to require yourself to have strong evidence for your beliefs in telepathy, the earth, nazis, etc. To ask yourself, OK so I believe this with all my heart, but bare belief is not enough; what is my evidence that it is true? Carl Sagan said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you can't come up with strong evidence, then that is your clue that it is a psychotic delusion and is not real

Well I am not sure of my symptoms are, but from what others tell me i think its, its that i know everything man made can feel, and communicate with me, through telepathy.The Earth gave me the mission to educate people about this, Plus i hear poeple such as the Man who tells me about my future,and the chosen one for communicating with natural things, others don't seem to hear through telepathy. Also the NAZIs are after me because of this knowledge. They want me dead, so people wont learn the truth about the world. This is all very real and scarey for me. - are those symptoms ?

Yes these are symptoms. They sound like delusions to me. I too have had delusions that seem very real. And I like the suggestion of looking at trying to decipher what is reality and what is delusion in therapy. That is something that I too need to do.

What matters in the difference between bipolar and sza is do you have these symptoms outside of a mood episode, as Vapourware said. But I think the treatment is the same (AP + mood stabiliser) for either dx.

It is a good idea if you have any confusion over a dx to discuss it with your pdoc. He should be able to clarify things for you.

Thank you all, I am in normal stable mood now, have been for the past 4 ish weeks but i still very much know this knowledge is true, and i understand that pretty much no one else does, but i still do. Its hard that no one else isn't scared like i am or accepts it because it makes me very isolated, though to be honest i don't really mind not socializing, mainly because i have no motivation or the energy to make it happen.

I will talk to my pdoc, I think my boyfriend will come too because lately, I have been thinking about killing myself nicely so the NAZIs can't, I am so scared and i don't want to die horribly or suffer massive amounts of pain by the NAZIs so i was going to do it nicely myself but boyfriend said no, the pdoc will be able to get my somewhere safe from the NAZIs so i wont need to die. I am so freaked i don't leave the house, unless to go to pdoc appointment but i get mental health worker to drive me so im not alone and in less danger.

I some times ask me why the Earth chose me because i don't seem to be a good teacher, like no body listens to me ( not to offend you) about my knowledge. I am glad you all read it and even took the time to comment. but all my Mom says when i try talking to her is, "I am sorry you feel this way" but its not a feeling and i defiantly see she doesn't get it. I wrote a book, in case i die that has all the knowledge and my experiences in it so the knowledge lives on and people can save the Earth.

Thank you all, I am in normal stable mood now, have been for the past 4 ish weeks but i still very much know this knowledge is true, and i understand that pretty much no one else does, but i still do. Its hard that no one else isn't scared like i am or accepts it because it makes me very isolated, though to be honest i don't really mind not socializing, mainly because i have no motivation or the energy to make it happen.

That is exactly how I felt about my delusions when I was in the middle of them. I thought I was the only one who knew true reality, and it got to the extent that I thought everyone else was living under a 'mass delusion' (as I termed it). I got so frustrated that I could not get through to anyone, and they would not accept what I was saying.

I will talk to my pdoc, I think my boyfriend will come too because lately, I have been thinking about killing myself nicely so the NAZIs can't, I am so scared and i don't want to die horribly or suffer massive amounts of pain by the NAZIs so i was going to do it nicely myself but boyfriend said no, the pdoc will be able to get my somewhere safe from the NAZIs so i wont need to die. I am so freaked i don't leave the house, unless to go to pdoc appointment but i get mental health worker to drive me so im not alone and in less danger.

Then you really need to get help ASAP. I am pretty certain that the Nazi's will not kill you.

Yes. When you tell people about your beliefs, it is your illness talking. You have a thought disorder. I have one too. But for you, I am referring specifically to your beliefs. The earth, your teaching role, the nazi's pursuing you, the danger the earth is in, etc. These beliefs are a reality that is private to you, a reality that you firmly believe, but your belief is not shared by other people, and when this happens it is called a delusion. These beliefs are interfering with your life. You are seeking someplace safe from the nazis. This is your illness talking. You need your pdoc to give you a med tweak.

Thought disorder, I'm referring to the content of your thoughts (the content of your beliefs, specifically). There are other types of thought disorder, but that's what I mean in this context. You aren't dumb, bipolar bear, you just have a little less experience. All these terms were new to all of us on this board, at one time. It's just a way of classifying mental disorders. Bipolar is a "mood disorder," psychosis is a "thought disorder"

Guest Vapourware

To add to y58's comments - it's firstly impossible for one person to "save" the world, because it's an illogical assumption. Superman and superheroes only exist in comics. Nazis no longer exist - they were smashed in WWII, and while there are some far-right groups out there, none of them have the influence you're ascribing them because they're simply not powerful enough. The vast majority of people don't share their views.

I guess if you can find conclusive evidence against a belief, then it's more likely that the belief is delusional rather than real. Hope that makes sense for you.

Thank you all, I ask my pdoc today what my diagnosis is and she said my working diagnosis is schizo-affective bipolar type, I am not sure what to think about this, she said if these exsperines i have, turn out to be true then I have bipolar and if the meds or i find out its not true than is psychotic, this is what she said. but i have to take the meds to find out what is wrong as there is no test. SO i will do my best.

Yea she already knows about the knowledge and my experiences, i had just never asked her what my new diagnosis was, if any. And i asked and she said Schizoaffective and bipolar. She changed my meds because i didn't like the side effects of olanzapine. I am now on Amisulpride, tapering up to 400mg. Have you heard of it? Is it any good?

Archived