CrazyBoards.org

Trouble Getting Out Of Bed

Lately I've been getting more and more depressed. I have to get up at 6:30 for work each morning. I am finding it so hard to get up. I set my alarms, I hear them, I hit snooze a billion times. My morning self just doesn't seem to care. It has no motivation at all. I don't know what to do. I sleep well. I take my Seroquel at 8PM and wasn't having this problem before, even though I was taking Seroquel later. So I don't think it's that. I have a history of not being able to get myself out of bed. I've called in sick these past two days, just so I don't have to get up. I'm really afraid this will continue. I want so badly to get up early, eat breakfast etc. But in the morning it's like I want to stay in bed more than I want to keep my job or live my life. I don't want to say I can't get out of bed because that's not taking responsibility. I can, I just don't want to (at that time).

Has anyone got any advice for this?

My first move when I get like that is to put the alarm across the other side of the room which usually gets me out of bed to turn it off. The next step is fighting that urge to get straight back in bed but if you can hit the alarm and head straight for the shower without stopping, you should find it a bit easier! Remember that every time you hit snooze, even on a good day, you are making it harder to get out of bed by not allowing yourself a full sleep cycle (that said, I'm a bugger for the snooze button too).

I already have the alarm clock and my phone alarm across the room. I always dive back into bed. Maybe I should put it in another room. A really loud one in the bathroom or something. I guess my problem is resisting the urge to say 'fuck it, i don't care' and roll over.

P.S.Only after making this thread did I see the other one just like it! Sorry!

Do you have a friend that can call or text for a week to shame you into it? I find the best thing is to throw myself into a shower the minute I get my body out of bed, because I'm not going to feel awake unless I do. Another thought, has something developed at work that you're avoiding?

One technique I have used is hiding the alarm clock in different places around the room (and maybe, for you, the house). You keep rotating these places and after a week or so your asleep mind is not going to remember so you will have to get up and hunt for the alarm, which can cause a bit more wakefulness, leading you to be less likely to crawl back into bed.

Shower first thing is a good idea.

I never snooze button now, and I've found that a good early morning routine (I do x, then y, religiously) helps a lot.

Anna

I thought this idea was crazy when I first read it (and I know crazy) but:

Practice getting out of bed. I guess you're supposed to do this when you're not tired, but the general idea goes like this: Set your alarm for five minutes or ten minutes or whatever, get into bed, get comfortable, and then when the alarm goes off, GET OUT OF BED.

Practice this 5 or 10 times and you have yourself the makings of a habit of actually getting out of bed when the alarm goes off!

It helps me if I do not allow myself to get into a tug-of-war in my mind, with the part of me that wants to stay in bed, because its too easy for the other part of me to lose that battle. But rather when the thought-impulse comes saying "I should get out of bed," don't start the "I don't want to" tug of war, just obey the impulse, DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, and get up. If I think about it I will stay in bed

Maybe you have some issue that you don't want to face, and you feel more comfortable in bed? If that is the case, you need to find out what that issue is and somehow deal with it before you will find it easier to get out of bed.

A job counselor once asked me what got me out of bed in the morning. This struck me, and I remember it to this day. Can you answer the question,

What gets you out of bed in the morning?

You need to honestly ask yourself this question. You can't come up with an answer like "my alarm clock." You need to come up with your motivation to get out of bed. If you can't come up with a satisfactory answer, then maybe that's your problem.

Maybe you have some issue that you don't want to face, and you feel more comfortable in bed? If that is the case, you need to find out what that issue is and somehow deal with it before you will find it easier to get out of bed.

A job counselor once asked me what got me out of bed in the morning. This struck me, and I remember it to this day. Can you answer the question,

What gets you out of bed in the morning?

You need to honestly ask yourself this question. You can't come up with an answer like "my alarm clock." You need to come up with your motivation to get out of bed. If you can't come up with a satisfactory answer, then maybe that's your problem.

I've found myself in a similar situation before. My cases were starting to seem overwhelming and I was dodging them by not getting out of bed in the morning. I love my job...but I was avoiding it b/c of fear. Much easier to go back to bed than to actually overcome that fear.

I guess I do sort of dread work a bit. I wait tables so it's the same shit every day. Since I've been getting more depressed I don't really enjoy anything and don't like being awake. I still really want to get up though. I'll feel so much worse if everything slips out from underneath me.

There's also the bomb defusing alarm clock.

Here's atop 10 list of annoying alarm clocks. Some are "puzzle clocks," in which you have to solve puzzle to stop it. Although I have to say I like #2 - the sonic hand grenade - could be great for waking up the kids - but it appears discontinued.

Mensa puzzle alarm clock.

Then there's the shape up and carpet alarm clocks.

There's also the bomb defusing alarm clock.

Here's atop 10 list of annoying alarm clocks. Some are "puzzle clocks," in which you have to solve puzzle to stop it. Although I have to say I like #2 - the sonic hand grenade - could be great for waking up the kids - but it appears discontinued.

Mensa puzzle alarm clock.

Then there's the shape up and carpet alarm clocks.

Those are great. LOL I like the hand grenade, that would be great for the kids. The propeller one looks like it would work but what if you couldn't find the propeller? And clocky might get stuck under the bed...

I have that problem from time to time. Every so often I will allow myself one day to stay home "sick" from work, but I don't have a ton of paid time off and I don't want to get fired, so a lot of times I have to force myself out of bed. What I do is not allow myself to lay in bed after my alarm goes off. I don't hit snooze, ever. Sometimes it's really hard to get up because I feel like I just don't want to and don't care, and those are the days when I will tell myself (out loud) "Get your ass out of bed right now". Sometimes I guilt myself into getting up by reminding myself that I have to go to work so that I don't get in trouble or lose my job because I have to work to pay the bills. Honestly, you just have to make yourself get out of bed. I've found that once I start getting ready it's easier to convince myself to not get back into bed and call in sick, since I've already done x,y, and z.

I got to work today. I even got up early enough to shower. Maybe I needed a few days off (called in sick the last 3). Normally I work 7 days so that could be taking it's toll. I hate missing work because I feel so bummed if I get a light paycheck. I just work for cash so if I don't show, I don't get paid. I'm not paying rent at the moment but I do have a personal trainer and a smoking habit on the payroll. I was on SSI but CBF pretending not to have a job anymore. It's hard at the moment. I've gotta find a new place to live. I may have to start paying 100 bucks a month for lamictal. I have to pay my shrink $290 upfront for each appointment (weekly). All this on what I get waiting tables. I'm in a new city with no friends or hobbies (besides gym). My job is fucking boring. I don't even think I'm depressed, it would be weird to be feeling good right now.

I used to work 6 days a week, averaging anywhere from 50-70 hours, and then took care of my horses twice a day every day on top of that. It definitely led to burnout and some serious depression last winter. I ended up leaving that job, and now also wait tables, as well as working at a barn. I try and be careful not to schedule myself for all 7 days, and make sure I have at least one day to myself to just do nothing, not even errands, if that's what I need. It definitely helps; while I am very good with people, they take a lot out of me and I need time to recharge. Is there any way you could pick up more shifts on the same days so that you aren't there 7 days a week? I think even "normal" people struggle with that kind of schedule; it's important to take time for yourself.

Archived