CrazyBoards.org

When is your depression worse?

73 members have voted

1. 1. When is your depression at its worst?

• am
    • pm

I hear that many people have their depression worse in the morning, but mine is worse in the afternoon or evening. It's like sleep resets my brain but then the stress of the day grinds on me, and my depression gets worse and worse as the day goes along.

I understand that generally atypical depression is worse in the evening, but I'm just interested in how atypical I am.

Lookup diurnal mood variation. Classic DMV is morning-worsening with people feeling better at night. But not everyone is "classic." wink.gif

I haven't come upon any research yet that determines the cause of DMV -- just research that describes it. But I need to do a some more in-depth searching. The cure for depression is right there - explain DMV, develop an intervention, and you've cured depression.

The existence of diurnal mood variation is one of the reasons why they developed agomelatine (Valdoxan), isn't it? It's supposed to improve circadian rhythms or something. An acquintance of mine loves it, although it's not shown to be any more effective than SSRIs in clinical trials.

I also have atypical depressions (I guess most people on CB would, as the majority of BP people have atypical depressions, although it's supposedly a minority among MDD people) and usually feel worse in the evening. Getting out of bed is no picnic, but mornings in general are better than late afternoons/evenings. I always tend to think of it as me being more tired, but I suppose it's more likely a circadian-rhythm-thing.

ETA: It would be interesting to break down the poll by BP and MDD and see whether there's any difference in the frequency of reversed DMV, actually.

Edited by Calypte

Mornings are by far the worse for me. When I'm depressed I can barely function for the early part of the day. The pain is unbearable and NOTHING helps. Gradually throughout the day I pick up and by night I'm much more functional and slightly more positive. Even at the best of times when my mood is stable I struggle with the morning and getting out of bed so I'm not a morning person anyway.

Getting out of bed is no picnic, but mornings in general are better than late afternoons/evenings. I always tend to think of it as me being more tired, but I suppose it's more likely a circadian-rhythm-thing.

I really have no problem getting out of bed except that I'm sleepy and would prefer to sleep. I'd even go so far as to say that the first hour of the day I'm depression free. But after about an hour the reality of the day begins to set in, and it's all downhill from there.

Mornings. I'm not even a human being until about 10 a.m. at the earliest, and that's when I'm not depressed. When I am depressed, if I can make it out of bed, generally in the early afternoon, then the rest of the day is a little better. Unless, of course, I'm in insomnia hell. If I can't sleep, I'd say 2-8 a.m. is the worst part of my life.

In the morning by far. Especially after waking up. I used to feel so bad in the morning that it literally felt like I had a flu or something. Especially if I have my vivid annoying/frustrating (but never scary or frightening) dreams.

For me it's at night and the early hours of the morning. I can lie awake for hours worrying, thoughts spiralling out of control, catastrophising, getting deeper and deeper into depressive thoughts where I conclude that the only way out is to .... end my life. I once read somewhere it's due to some kind of hormonal thing going on where these hormones are at a low in the early hours of the morning. And I think also for me it's because I have no distraction at night in bed. During the day I can watch tv, or go on the internet to keep my mind occupied. Night time not so much. And so I start thinking.... too much.

• 1 month later...