CrazyBoards.org

I'll be listening to people talk and suddenly its like they all start talking a foreign language, and i cant understand a word they say. The worst is when it happens in the middle of a conversation with someone, i have to kind of wing it and hope they dont notice lol.

Just wondered if anyone else had this, if its a schiz thing or just a me thing :P

I've had similar stuff happen - when the words - I can hear them, but I can't understand them anymore, so they may as well be speaking another language. INCREDIBLY frustrating.

I think one of the more embarrassing ones i had was when i was with a friend at DQ and she was asking me if i had enough money for ice cream, i just laughed because i didnt know what she said. She was like "no, seriously, do you have funds?". I was so embarrassed. Really only my husband knows it happens, because i have no idea how i would even explain it to anyone else.

Good to know its a psychosis thing, that would explain why it happens less since i got on medication.

I have had that. I find it so frustrating, and end up just looking blankly at the person because I don't have a fucking clue what they are saying.

Actually I am also glad that y58 said it was a psychosis thing, because that might actually explain it. I just thought it was because I was stupid or I couldn't focus or something.

I am sure that it has gotten a little better since going on meds, but I wouldn't say that it has completely gone. But at least I don't get it all the time any more.

This has happened to me as well. I just laugh politely or say no but sort of questionably. I don't understand what the hell is coming out of that person's mouth. It's like they have been taken over by an alien. I am glad, well not glad, but relieved to hear that others experience this. It also saddens me though to hear that others go through this. It is very frustrating.

I get that as a symptom when I have a migraine. I can't understand what people are saying, it is all jumbled up and echoing and when I try to talk it comes out as jumbled up nonsense. I can't even dial a phone number in the right order when it happens or type at the computer. Really frustrating especially when I can't explain to whoever I am trying to talk to what is happening.

I also have times due to my schiz (I think) when my boss is discussing something complicated to me and I just blank out like nothing is sinking in. I know the words she is saying but as a sentence I wonder what on earth she is talking about. On the other hand maybe she isn't good at communicating lol.

This happens periodically to me, mostly when my brain is really spazzing out (mixed episode, psychosis). It usually sounds like English, but really mumbly and jumbled-- like I am hearing word salad. I end up staring for a minute, trying to sort the words into sense, but usually have to ask the person to repeat it. If I concentrate really hard and watch their mouth, I can usually figure out enough to get the gist... I wish medication helped this more, but it still happens.

Sometimes I get where I can't understand what others say and also misinterpret what people are saying. The other thing I get is where I suddenly can't talk English and it comes out all like a different language. Sometimes its so bad its like Aphasia. And another weird thing I get is that I can't understand and read written words and it looks like a different language as well. Especially paragraphs. This only happens sometimes most of the time I read beautifully. So, I get it all ways and never knew it was a psychosis thing.

Guest Vapourware

I agree it can be from psychosis, but it can also be caused from other symptoms. I think central auditory processing issues, attention issues, etc. can also cause similar symptoms.

I often get moments when I hear people talking, and I have absolutely no idea what they have said to me. Either words skip out of sentences, so it doesn't make much sense, or their words turn into garbled nonsense. It still happens to me, and currently I'm not psychotic. I suspect it's something to do with auditory processing [which, for me, might be related to my ASD], because I've done a hearing test last year and my hearing is normal.

Oh god yes. Before I was diagnosed and medicated I had months when I could not understand conversations. It's a bad symptom.

I remember having a coffee with a friend and she told me a joke and I couldn't understand it. She kept repeating the punchline and I just stared and said 'I don't get it'! It's an embarrassing symptom. Luckily I don't have it now that I'm on anti-psychotics!

I'll be listening to people talk and suddenly its like they all start talking a foreign language, and i cant understand a word they say. The worst is when it happens in the middle of a conversation with someone, i have to kind of wing it and hope they dont notice lol.

Just wondered if anyone else had this, if its a schiz thing or just a me thing :P

Yes, I have. One particular friend of mine who has an extremely high voice to begin with really sets this off. It's like her voice goes higher and higher until she kinda sounds like one-long whining sound. Others just start sounding like you described (a foreign language). It really, really freaks me out when it happens. I was just dx'd sza, so maybe it's a schizo thing? Not sure.

me too. people I know well joke that i'm "a little deaf in one ear" because I always ask what they just said.

sometimes I just have to go someplace quiet for a few minutes, that usually helps a little. the seroquel makethis pretty rare these days for me.

Archived