CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Ferdy

Risperdal Vs. Seroquel Vs. Zyprexa Experiences

For those that have tried ALL 3, which gave the best results for depression/anxiety?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which worked best for anxiety and PD/Agoraphobia?

• Risperdal
    • Seroquel (IR)
    • Seroquel (XR)
    • Zyprexa

You got a price quote on the risperdal from your pharmacist? Because the cash price listed on my script from walgreens says $336 for 60 3mg pills. I can't remember what seroquel was when I took it, but I thought it was in that price range. Zyprexa was the highest - cash price of 30 20mg tablets was $920.

Until it tripled my triglycerides and crapped out on me, zyprexa was the best med for me on reducing my anxiety. It also worked very well on my mood. But I don't take it now - I take risperdal, which keeps the mood episodes away (knock on wood) but doesn't do all that for my anxiety. Seroquel did nothing to me except make me sleep 15 hours a day. But I was only on it a month.

Yes I did. He quoted $80 for 30ea. 2mg tablets, and WalMart quoted $99 for the same.

I found a licensed online pharmacy that is quoting $14.50 for the same with free shipping. Licensed in Kentucky. I verified their legitimacy on the Kentucky Board of Pharmacy website, too.

Thanks for the heads up, Muriel!!

Edited by Ferdy

Seroquel gave me akasthesia like a mofo. YMMV. Risperdal just took away my angry episodes. Mellow kitty! lol Zyprexa made me feel the most 'normal' but remember that it's got a risk of causing weight gain and diabetes with it. But to have a physical problem instead of a mental one sometimes makes you jump for joy because the physical things are easier to treat than the mental ones, it seems. :(

Yes I did. He quoted $80 for 30ea. 2mg tablets, and WalMart quoted $99 for the same.

I found a licensed online pharmacy that is quoting $14.50 for the same with free shipping. Licensed in Kentucky. I verified their legitimacy on the Kentucky Board of Pharmacy website, too.

Thanks for the heads up, Muriel!!

My local pharmacy charges me about $27 for thirty 4 mg pills of risperidone. This is the main reason why I take risperidone.

Of the three I like Risperidone best. I had to go off of it b/c it made me lactate or I would still be using it now.

Of the three I like Risperidone best. I had to go off of it b/c it made me lactate or I would still be using it now.

Thanks Sweetest, your input is appreciated.

May I ask what dose you were taking per day? I talked to my pharmacist this morning and he said he has never heard of hyperprolactremia occuring in males (which is one of my concerns) at any dose, but I still ruminate about it.

I have gotten several PM's from others about why I can't tolerate the "typical antipressants" such as the SSRI's, SNRI's or the AAP Abilify so I thought I would post what my pdoc has told me.

He has determined that I am one of those pretty rare patients (<10% of the population using SSRi's) that are SUPER hypersensitive to selective blockade (either agonism or antagonism) of the 5-HT1a-c receptor complex---and not sensitive to any of the other 5-HT receptors like the 5-HT2, 5-HT3, 5-HT4, etc. This is the reason that I can tolerate AD's (like Remeron) that do not hit directly on the 5-HT1 receptors. Remeron has a totally unique pharmacodynamic mechanism of action and acts more on other receptors other than the 5-HT1's like norephenephrine, dopamine and histamine receptors, which is why it is so sedating and increases appetite.

Anyway, if you look at the pharmacology of Abilfy, it's major action in on the 5-HT1a receptor, whereas the other AAP's do not. They work more on the 5-HT2, dopamine, histamine and alpha 1 receptors and to a lesser extent some small melatonin action. For this reason, Abilify nor the new AD Viibryd is not an option for me, hence the next trial will be the AAP's. And, as it turns out, why I consider BuSpar the nastiest drug I've ever taken, since it works on this receptor---but, YMMV.

I've noticed that a LOT of folks on this forum and others also find themselves unable to tolerate the SSRI's, SNRI's and any of the rest that hit hard on the 5-HT1 receptors. Maybe something to bring up to your pdoc and see if his opionion matches my doc's determination.

Edited by Ferdy

I've noticed that a LOT of folks on this forum and others also find themselves unable to tolerate the SSRI's, SNRI's and any of the rest that hit hard on the 5-HT1 receptors. Maybe something to bring up to your pdoc and see if his opionion matches my doc's determination.

A lot of the people on this forum are bipolar and cannot tolerate any ADs without mood stabilizers, and even with stabilizers there are many who cannot tolerate them. This is probably why you are getting this impression.

All three of the AAPs have drawbacks:

Zyprexa - primarily weight gain and potential diabetes

Seroquel - primarily weight gain, sedation, and potential diabetes

Risperdal - hyperprolactimia.

Hyperprolactimia is fairly common in Risperidone. It happens in men, too. It tends to be more common at higher doses, but it all depends on your chemistry. It can happen at lower doses, too. One of the consequences is a higher probabilitiy of osteoporosis as you age. Male or female, if on this med, your prolactin levels should be taken regularly.

Thanks Sweetest, your input is appreciated.

May I ask what dose you were taking per day? I talked to my pharmacist this morning and he said he has never heard of hyperprolactremia occuring in males (which is one of my concerns) at any dose, but I still ruminate about it.

I was only on 2mg/day

A lot of the people on this forum are bipolar and cannot tolerate any ADs without mood stabilizers, and even with stabilizers there are many who cannot tolerate them. This is probably why you are getting this impression.

All three of the AAPs have drawbacks:

Zyprexa - primarily weight gain and potential diabetes

Seroquel - primarily weight gain, sedation, and potential diabetes

Risperdal - hyperprolactimia.

Hyperprolactimia is fairly common in Risperidone. It happens in men, too. It tends to be more common at higher doses, but it all depends on your chemistry. It can happen at lower doses, too. One of the consequences is a higher probabilitiy of osteoporosis as you age. Male or female, if on this med, your prolactin levels should be taken regularly.

Thanks Stacia, I'll be sure to bring this up with the pdoc!

Never knew that a consequence is a higher probability of osteoporosis. Any info/links to back that up?

Edited by Blart752

Never knew that a consequence is a higher probability of osteoporosis. Any info/links to back that up?

Hi Blart,

It appears to be true. Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"In women, a high blood level of prolactin often causes hypoestrogenism with anovulatory infertility and a decrease in menstruation. In some women, menstruation may disappear altogether (amenorrhoea). In others, menstruation may become irregular or menstrual flow may change. Women who are not pregnant or nursing may begin producing breast milk. Some women may experience a loss of libido (interest in sex) and breast pain, especially when prolactin levels begin to rise for the first time, as the hormone promotes tissue changes in the breast. Intercourse may become painful because of vaginal dryness.

In men, the most common symptoms of hyperprolactinaemia are decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, infertility and Gynecomastia. Because men have no reliable indicator such as menstruation to signal a problem, many men with hyperprolactinaemia being caused by an adenoma may delay going to the doctor until they have headaches or eye problems caused by the enlarged pituitary pressing against nearby optic nerves. They may not recognize a gradual loss of sexual function or libido. Only after treatment do some men realize they had a problem with sexual function.

Because of hypoestrogenism, hyperprolactinaemia can lead to osteoporosis."

Here's the link to the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperprolactinaemia

But, that only seems to apply to females----

Edited by Ferdy

Keep in mind that the proposed mechanisms of action are just that... proposed. In reality, we haven't a fucking clue how these drugs work.

Your pdocs theory may be right, but it may not be. This is the stuff that researchers can't figure out.

Point is, I wouldn't write off a med because it does things to one particular serotonin receptor. However, if you've done SSRIs and BuSpar and benzos, it is probably time for the AAPs.

Keep in mind that the proposed mechanisms of action are just that... proposed. In reality, we haven't a fucking clue how these drugs work.

Your pdocs theory may be right, but it may not be. This is the stuff that researchers can't figure out.

Point is, I wouldn't write off a med because it does things to one particular serotonin receptor. However, if you've done SSRIs and BuSpar and benzos, it is probably time for the AAPs.

Yeah, you got that right. If they knew exactly how these damn drugs worked, all of us would'nt even have that line of "Prior meds D/C'd" in our signature lines and there would be no "Med-go-round". Docs could just say, "OK, you've got a DX of "A", so drug "A" will fix you." instead of "OK, you've got a DX of "A", so we'll try drug "A" first, BUT if that don't work, get ready for the ride of your life and be sure to bring your wallet, too".

At least you know if you've got an STD (other than AIDS), they know which drug WILL work to fix it.

I think some of you guys do not realize that Eli Lilly and AstraZeneca have programs that give you free meds.

All you need to send in proof that you are low income, and get your psychiatrist to sign the paperwork.

When I was on Seroquel it was the AZ&ME program. I never paid for any of it and it was shipped to

the psychiatrist's office.

I think some of you guys do not realize that Eli Lilly and AstraZeneca have programs that give you free meds.

All you need to send in proof that you are low income, and get your psychiatrist to sign the paperwork.

When I was on Seroquel it was the AZ&ME program. I never paid for any of it and it was shipped to

the psychiatrist's office.

WOW, thanks somementill, I didn't realize that! Why don't docs know this (and if they do, why don't they mention it?)

So I went to AZ's "AZandME"'s website and it turns out that I qualify! I thought that there would be no way to qualify, because I'm not on THAT low of income, but low enough to cringe at the costs of these meds. It really surprised me that AZ is pretty liberal with their requirements.

So, talked to the pdoc again, and based on this new finding we decided it looks like I'll be trying Seroquel first, FOR FREE!!

I can't THANK YOU enough for posting this information. Otherwise I was leaning more towards risperidone, since the cost of S approaches my mortgage payment and Z actually exceeds it. Honestly, the possible side effect of hyperprolactremia with Risperdal was REALLY causing me A LOT of anxiety (there's that damn anxiety again, lol).

THANKS, THANKS, THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

And another big thanks for all that have been responding, too. Keep those card and letters coming in though, just in case Seroquel doesn't work or for some reason I can't tolerate it.

I'm glad you have found a way to get your med for free. :)

I chose seroquel in the poll because I think it made me less aggitated and calmer.

I'm glad you have found a way to get your med for free. :)

I chose seroquel in the poll because I think it made me less aggitated and calmer.

Thanks confused, I'm pretty happy about that as you can see.

Surprisingly, though, if you count the votes for Seroquel IR and XR together as one, right now its 4 votes for Risperdal, 4 votes for Seroquel, and 3 votes for Zyprexa. Maybe they're all equally effacious?

It just depends on the person.

Also, a lot of people here have dxes of bipolar disorder along with (or even not with) an anxiety disorder, which may skew things a bit. However, you're really not going to know until you try one whether it's going to help you.

Keep in mind that drug company patient assistance generally doesn't cover you if you have existing insurance and it can take up to 30 days to process the paperwork. That may give you a window to try Risperdal on for size as well. Just an idea.

It just depends on the person.

Also, a lot of people here have dxes of bipolar disorder along with (or even not with) an anxiety disorder, which may skew things a bit. However, you're really not going to know until you try one whether it's going to help you.

Keep in mind that drug company patient assistance generally doesn't cover you if you have existing insurance and it can take up to 30 days to process the paperwork. That may give you a window to try Risperdal on for size as well. Just an idea.

Thanks muriel, I may do that if the doc approves and thinks it's a good idea. I never thought to ask him---and I knew it would take awhile for AZ to send the med---I fiqured, hell, I've waited all these years to find SOMETHING that works, what another few weeks, although if I could feel better in the next ten minutes, I'd do whatever it took.

And, no, I am completely uninsured until I get through my 2 year waiting period for Social Security/Medicare to kick in. Another thing to be anxious and stressed about too, BTW. All I can do is hope and pray that nothing serious comes up in the meantime, cause I sure can't afford health insurance. You wouldn't know how this free drug thing would be affected once I do get Medicare?

I have never figured out why in HELL does SS make you wait 2 YEARS for Medicare when they find you disabled. If you're disabled by your illness, it seems that you should qualify right then. Sorry, off topic.