CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Ferdy

Risperdal Vs. Seroquel Vs. Zyprexa Experiences

For those that have tried ALL 3, which gave the best results for depression/anxiety?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which worked best for anxiety and PD/Agoraphobia?

• Risperdal
    • Seroquel (IR)
    • Seroquel (XR)
    • Zyprexa

Are you on SSI/SSDI? If so, you should qualify for medicaid in your state, I think.

WOW, thanks somementill, I didn't realize that! Why don't docs know this (and if they do, why don't they mention it?)

No problem, I am glad to help. I think docs know it but don't do anything because they don't like dealing with extra paperwork and managing your shipments of meds.

I can't THANK YOU enough for posting this information. Otherwise I was leaning more towards risperidone

Janssen pharma also has a patient assistance program if you want to try risperidone.

Are you on SSI/SSDI? If so, you should qualify for medicaid in your state, I think.

No I don't qualify. Barely.

WOW, thanks somementill, I didn't realize that! Why don't docs know this (and if they do, why don't they mention it?)

No problem, I am glad to help. I think docs know it but don't do anything because they don't like dealing with extra paperwork and managing your shipments of meds.

I can't THANK YOU enough for posting this information. Otherwise I was leaning more towards risperidone

Janssen pharma also has a patient assistance program if you want to try risperidone.

Thanks somementill, but I can afford $14.50 for the risperidone----it's the multi-hundreds $ for the other two that are, ummm, SHOCKING shall we say? Even my non-generic HBP med is NOTHING like S and Z. But, I have to thank you again, because it's from Forest Pharm and turns out they have a program too, so that's gonna save me there, too!!

I don't think they would help anyway when there are generics available, would they?

I can't tell you enough about how great you folks are on this forum. The other forums for the "mentally interesting" are nothing like this one. I posted a link about a new (just this past week) SERIOUS FDA warning concerning high dose Celexa linked to heart arrthymias on one of them which I won't name, and the mod took it off and banned me for posting it. This forum is "anything goes" it seems----

Edited by Ferdy

That sucks about the SSDI and medicaid.

Some pharma companies still run the patient assistance even after a generic is available. Risperdal is one of them.

http://www.jjpaf.org/application/patients-caregivers.html

Looks like there's patient assistance for your Bystolic too:

http://www.forestpharm.com/pap/

Remeron:

http://www.merck.com/merckhelps/patientassistance/home.html

All of this information I got from NeedyMeds.org, which is a database of patient assistance programs for all kinds of drugs.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I hope I don't offend anyone employed in administration in a doc's office, but when I call them for anything (like filling out the form for AZ or getting a message to doc to call me), they are not the most cordial folks in the world. Do they have to pass a course in rudeness to get a job at a doctor's office? And they are certainly TRAINED to shield the docs from phone calls--they want to know if it's an emergency---if so, you should go to the nearest ER!??!?! No, I just want to talk to the doctor. But, then again, I know the docs are busy and can't call everyone back, but c'mon if the person that answers the phone could answer my question, I would ask them, not the doctor, right?

Edited by Ferdy

That sucks about the SSDI and medicaid.

Some pharma companies still run the patient assistance even after a generic is available. Risperdal is one of them.

http://www.jjpaf.org...caregivers.html

Looks like there's patient assistance for your Bystolic too:

http://www.forestpharm.com/pap/

Remeron:

http://www.merck.com...tance/home.html

All of this information I got from NeedyMeds.org, which is a database of patient assistance programs for all kinds of drugs.

Thanks for the Merck link, Muriel. It looks like the only thing I may have to pay for is the Klonopin, LOL!!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I hope I don't offend anyone employed in admistration in a doc's office, but when I call them for anything (like filling out the form for AZ or getting a message to doc to call me), they are not the most cordial folks in the world. Do they have to pass a course in rudeness to get a job at a doctor's office?

The experiences I've had in the past with these types of offices are that the staff are usually unorganized, and they start getting rude because they get behind and work starts to pile up, plus they have to deal with people like me that can get nasty sometimes cause I have a mood disorder problem

I also had trouble dealing with them to simply fax the form to them and have them send it in. They would just forget about my application I had to keep calling all the time to get them to do anything.

Read closely for each drug, most of the pharma companies are now sending cards to the patient so the doc's office only has to fax/fill out the initial application and write a prescription. You can then fill the drug at any retail pharmacy.

UPDATE!!

I spoke to the pdoc this morning, and we talked a long time about the three. When I told him that I qualified for AZ's free med program, he said there really is no choice now, then. Seroquel it is. He said that Seroquel should work better for me than Risperdal---his best response rates for cases similar to mine were with Seroquel or Zyprexa, but he wanted to give me the option for Risperdal based on generic availability. Actually, he was surprised that I could qualify for the free med offer for Seroquel from AZ. (Wow, he's a younger doc, but seems that with his patient load, he would know about qualifications---but, maybe not? After all, I guess they're busy and can't keep up withsuch stuff---and his decisions have to be made without regard to cost, I suppose.

Thanks to you Somementill, Muriel and the others for the tips on the free meds!!! Turns out I can get my Remeron free and $20 co-pay for a SIX MONTH supply of Klonopin!!

I have somewhat of a dilemma, though. The doc wants to start me out at 25mg/night of the regular IR---but, he doesn't have samples of the IR, and surprisingly, he did have samples of the 50mg extended release XR, but he was hesitant about starting me at 50mg. He said it should be OK, and it will help us figure out what dose of the IR to start with---but told me to go ahead and take one at 8 PM tonight and make sure to make plans to be "KNOCKED ON YOUR ASS for 12 hours and not plan on doing much tomorrow, but don't worry"--his exact words. I (sorta hesitantly) said OK and went and picked them up at his office and dropped off the drug company forms.

So, here I am ruminating and actually kinda scared to take it because he was hesitant about it. I'm sure he wouldn't let me take anything that would endanger me, but I'm still having a lot of anxiety about taking it tonight (there's that damn anxiety again). Asked about splitting it and he said you can't because it's specially coated for slow release---damn.

I was sort of hoping to get some feedback from you guys that have taken both 25 and 50mg XR and how much difference is there? Need a little reassurance here, LOL!! Thanks

Edited by Ferdy

In my experience, you are gonna be pretty tired the day following taking seroquel for the first couple of days, until your body gets used to it. I'd probably take tomorrow off work if you can, until you know how your body will react.

YMMV, of course. But it's not given to people as a sleep aid for nothing.

In my experience, you are gonna be pretty tired the day following taking seroquel for the first couple of days, until your body gets used to it. I'd probably take tomorrow off work if you can, until you know how your body will react.

YMMV, of course. But it's not given to people as a sleep aid for nothing.

Thanks gizmo. I'm disabled, so no work to worry about unfortunately.

Yeah, I expect to be pretty damned sedated. I know how I felt the first few doses of Remeron. I was completely dopey the next morning after the first dose, and could hardly keep my eyes open most ot the day. I would assume that Seroquel is going to be the same? Luckily after a week or so, the Remeron drowsiness slowly passed and got better and better with time but now (after 4 years) I think it's pooped out and that's why the doc wants me to try 'quel cause I can't tolerate the SSRI's.

Any others wanna jump in here? Lotta anxst going on here----

Edited by Ferdy

I'll jump in even though I have not taken Seroquel. I just want to reassure you. It's a perfectly safe med. There is no reason to be anxious over taking it. Just be aware, as you are, that it is very sedating and will likely to knock you out for all the next day until your body gets used to it.

ETA: Maybe you have already said, I don't remember, but why did neither you nor your pdoc bring up Abilify?

Edited by jt07

I'll jump in even though I have not taken Seroquel. I just want to reassure you. It's a perfectly safe med. There is no reason to be anxious over taking it. Just be aware, as you are, that it is very sedating and will likely to knock you out for all the next day until your body gets used to it.

ETA: Maybe you have already said, I don't remember, but why did neither you nor your pdoc bring up Abilify?

Thanks jt. Decided against Abilify due to its 5-HT1 affinity. If you read back in the thread, my doc thinks I'm hypersensitive to meds that hit that receptor complex hard.

50 is such a small dose. It is going to knock you out, but it's a common starting dose. The difference between 25 and 50 is pretty negligible, so I wouldn't worry. At that point, Seroquel is mostly just a really expensive antihistamine. A lot of people start much higher, and 100mg is even considered a low starting dose.

Abilify wouldn't be the first AAP I'd want to try for anxiety. With the risk for akathisia which can be very anxiety-producing plus its reputation to be somewhat activating, it's just not a good choice for treating anxiety and panic, I don't think.

Thanks jt. Decided against Abilify due to its 5-HT1 affinity. If you read back in the thread, my doc thinks I'm hypersensitive to meds that hit that receptor complex hard.

Your doc sounds smart and responsible. I had a bunch of side effects with Seroquel, but maybe you won't. The first few side effects are usually dry mouth, and sedation.

When you take the drug, take at night it will seriously make you tired. I used to have trouble getting up in the morning after taking it.

50 is such a small dose. It is going to knock you out, but it's a common starting dose. The difference between 25 and 50 is pretty negligible, so I wouldn't worry. At that point, Seroquel is mostly just a really expensive antihistamine. A lot of people start much higher, and 100mg is even considered a low starting dose.

Abilify wouldn't be the first AAP I'd want to try for anxiety. With the risk for akathisia which can be very anxiety-producing plus its reputation to be somewhat activating, it's just not a good choice for treating anxiety and panic, I don't think.

Thanks for the reassurance, muriel. But it's approaching 8pm and I gotta admit I'm terrified. Wouldn't be nearly as anxious about it but I live alone. Having someone around would make me feel a lot better.

Guess I'm just a wuss, LOL!

Your doc sounds smart and responsible. I had a bunch of side effects with Seroquel, but maybe you won't. The first few side effects are usually dry mouth, and sedation.

When you take the drug, take at night it will seriously make you tired. I used to have trouble getting up in the morning after taking it.

Yeah, he's a great guy, I like him a lot and he likes me, so that helps. I appreciate the fact that he lets me make suggestions, and I think he respects me because I present reasonable, factual discussions with him, but he'll tell me if I'm wrong about something, and back it up with facts. He doesn't think OCD should be added to my DX, but that's one thing I think that he's wrong about. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend countless hours searching the internet for solutions and ideas to help rid me of this cursed fucking affliction. He kids with me that pretty soon, I'll be able to pass pysch med school finals just from studying these conditions so much, LOL!!

Yeah, he's a great guy, I like him a lot and he likes me, so that helps. I appreciate the fact that he lets me make suggestions, and I think he respects me because I present reasonable, factual discussions with him, but he'll tell me if I'm wrong about something, and back it up with facts. He doesn't think OCD should be added to my DX, but that's one thing I think that he's wrong about. Otherwise, I wouldn't spend countless hours searching the internet for solutions and ideas to help rid me of this cursed fucking affliction. He kids with me that pretty soon, I'll be able to pass pysch med school finals just from studying these conditions so much, LOL!!

I think most of us here obsessively research our conditions and the meds online. Hopefully it doesn't count toward OCD. I have enough acronyms thank you very much.

Keep in mind that the proposed mechanisms of action are just that... proposed. In reality, we haven't a fucking clue how these drugs work.

Your pdocs theory may be right, but it may not be. This is the stuff that researchers can't figure out.

Point is, I wouldn't write off a med because it does things to one particular serotonin receptor. However, if you've done SSRIs and BuSpar and benzos, it is probably time for the AAPs.

The info is from my pdoc, my internist, and an endocrinologist. Even my nephrologist knew about this. It's not theory. All AAPs can raise prolactin levels. Risperdal just happens to be the worst. If you look over the boards, it is only brought up regardng Risperdal which is anacdota that supports what my doctors have said, fwiw. That said, it is a great med an should not be written off. You don't know if it will happen to you or if the level will be significant. Risperdal should be monitored like all meds.