CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ferdy

Risperdal Vs. Seroquel Vs. Zyprexa Experiences

For those that have tried ALL 3, which gave the best results for depression/anxiety?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which worked best for anxiety and PD/Agoraphobia?

• Risperdal
    • Seroquel (IR)
    • Seroquel (XR)
    • Zyprexa

50 is such a small dose. It is going to knock you out, but it's a common starting dose. The difference between 25 and 50 is pretty negligible, so I wouldn't worry. At that point, Seroquel is mostly just a really expensive antihistamine. A lot of people start much higher, and 100mg is even considered a low starting dose.

Abilify wouldn't be the first AAP I'd want to try for anxiety. With the risk for akathisia which can be very anxiety-producing plus its reputation to be somewhat activating, it's just not a good choice for treating anxiety and panic, I don't think.

This is totally true, IMO.

Seroquel is good medicine. Don't worry about the 50mg XR. It's not enough different from the 25mg to be an issue. And, people do start at much higher levels.

50 is such a small dose. It is going to knock you out, but it's a common starting dose. The difference between 25 and 50 is pretty negligible, so I wouldn't worry. At that point, Seroquel is mostly just a really expensive antihistamine. A lot of people start much higher, and 100mg is even considered a low starting dose.

Abilify wouldn't be the first AAP I'd want to try for anxiety. With the risk for akathisia which can be very anxiety-producing plus its reputation to be somewhat activating, it's just not a good choice for treating anxiety and panic, I don't think.

This is totally true, IMO.

Seroquel is good medicine. Don't worry about the 50mg XR. It's not enough different from the 25mg to be an issue. And, people do start at much higher levels.

Thanks, Stacia.

I decided to wait until tonight to start taking it. I'll let you guys know the results.

I would also suggest, if your pdoc didn't suggest it already. To take a klonopin with the seroquel to ease the anxiety. I know for the most part the only atypical(antipsych) with the black box warning for using them with benzos is clozaril, so you should be safe.

I would also suggest, if your pdoc didn't suggest it already. To take a klonopin with the seroquel to ease the anxiety. I know for the most part the only atypical(antipsych) with the black box warning for using them with benzos is clozaril, so you should be safe.

Hey Blart,

He didn't mention it one way or the other, but I don't see any problems there either---

Thanks!

Well, first dose update and some questions/confusion--

Took the 50mg Seroquel XR about 8 PM last night, then took my other PM meds at the usual time 10 PM. At around 9:30 PM, I was starting to feel the effects of the S. Strangely, it was nothing like I expected. I was expecting to feel a strong (or at least a medium strong) sedative effect; but, instead, felt a slight stimulative effect, which I thought VERY odd, and not even the slightest feeling of drowsiness. After taking my PM meds (30mg Remeron, 1mg Klonopin, 5mg Bystolic) at 10 PM, by 11 PM I did start to feel the usual affect of those (which DEFINITELY is sedation and drowsiness), so I fell asleep around 11:30 PM, as usual.

Woke at 7-7:30 AM (as usual), but felt a little unusual in that I was not groggy and sedated as I was expecting---I actually felt (again as before bed) slightly stimulated, but at the same time a slight and unusual feeling of calmness, and a smidge less depressed and anxious than usual, and more ready than usual to get up and get moving. Felt a SLIGHT dizziness upon arising, which continued on and off throughout the morning. Other than that, no other side effects--actually feeling pretty good, much better than usual as a matter of fact. NOTHING like the awful first day for SSRI's.

Later this morning, I purposely subjected myself to a situation that I KNOW triggers my anxiety/panic attacks, and GOOD NEWS!! I remained fairly calm, anticipatory fear was SUBSTANTIALLY reduced, and the fear took longer to build, and almost made it through the situation before retreating to safety. VERY PROMISING RESULTS to say the least, and VERY surprisingly, extremely fast results. I realize that it's just the first dose---all I can do is hope that this is not a one-off thing, placebo effect or honeymoon effect. With any luck, subsequent doses and time will improve things even more.

I am, however, very puzzled and had a couple of questions---and I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the seemingly paradoxical side effects? I have no sedation, no drowsiness, no grogginess, and no increase in appetite whatsoever. To those of you that take S (especially low dose), is this not odd? To those of you who have taken both the IR and XR, does this explain the difference? Is there THAT much of a difference in the SE profile between the two? If so, I have never read it anywhere. My reaction to the drug is completely perplexing to me---even the doc said to expect to be knocked on my ass after I took it. Leave it to me to have opposite side effects.

Thanks to everyones encouragement and advice, and please take a minute to try to address my questions about your experiences.

Honestly, that is weird that you didn't get knocked on your ass from 50 mg of Seroquel. But, I would just roll with it. If you feel good and your anxiety has decreased, that is fabulous. 50 mg isn't enough to do a lot mood stabilization-wise, so definitely titrate on up. But yeah. Lucky you!

I am, however, very puzzled and had a couple of questions---and I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the seemingly paradoxical side effects?

Everyone has a different reaction to meds. It's a good sign that you tolerating the drug so well, but it's still early. Sometimes side effects will creep up on you later.

Paradoxical side effects are unusual but if you read the pamphlet they are still listed there as side effects. For instance when I tried Seroquel I had a auditory hallucination,

and I never have hallucinations normally. But this only happened during the first week and went away after maybe two days.

I am, however, very puzzled and had a couple of questions---and I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the seemingly paradoxical side effects?

Everyone has a different reaction to meds. It's a good sign that you tolerating the drug so well, but it's still early. Sometimes side effects will creep up on you later.

Paradoxical side effects are unusual but if you read the pamphlet they are still listed there as side effects. For instance when I tried Seroquel I had a auditory hallucination,

and I never have hallucinations normally. But this only happened during the first week and went away after maybe two days.

Yeah, I know, you're right. I don't want to get too excited so early on. I've started a few drugs that looked promising at first, only to be sadly disappointed. Got my fingers crossed and praying for this one---

XR is not as sedating as IR. There's also a difference if you take the med with food or not. This, however, shouldn't be enough to explain your reaction. Still, the sedation wears off for many, especially at higher doses. I no longer find the low ones sedating, either.

As long as you didn't want it for sleep, be happy.

XR is not as sedating as IR. There's also a difference if you take the med with food or not. This, however, shouldn't be enough to explain your reaction. Still, the sedation wears off for many, especially at higher doses. I no longer find the low ones sedating, either.

As long as you didn't want it for sleep, be happy.

Hi Stacia, hope things are well with you tonight.

No, I don't really need it for sleep, since Remeron (even after 5 years) still knocks me out, especially with the 1mg Klonopin. But I did find that I didn't sleep as soundly last night, as I mentioned before. Oh, and another thing---my doc has a suspicion that I'm a slow metabolizer---so maybe that's why the strange reaction, IDK. I DO know that I am EXTREMELY sensitive to psychiatric meds, and sometimes react to low doses as if they were high doses-----

Update:

Well, if you read back through the thread, my pdoc started me on 50mg Seroquel XR while we were waiting for the IR to come in from AZ. Turns out I had to stop the XR. It was MUCH too powerful, and paradoxically, not sedating at all. I can't imagine folks that have to take 400 and 500mg of this stuff. Pdoc figures that the reason that it's not sedating is that after 5 years of being on mirtazapine, my H1 receptors have completely down regulated and the SQ is moving on to its next MOA receptors. So the 25mg IR came in, pdoc told me to take one at night---and again, no sedation whatsoever. Same effect as the XR---tossing, turning restless sleep. During waking hours, a complete stoned zombie. So lowered dose to 12.5, then to 6.25. Still stoned out during the day---don't feel like doing anything except sitting around and zoning---actually a really unpleasant feeling---kinda like weed back in the day. I would rather be lucid and anxious than stoned and zoned.

I have to admit---I'm getting tired of trying med after med after med---I'm worn out, completely discouraged and MORE depressed than ever. Don't know which way to turn anymore.

Edited by Ferdy

Although they tell you that it's fine to split those pills in half, I don't think that is true, I wound up with more issues when splitting IRs in half nevermind XRs. Just my opinion-they aren't exactly designed to be split in half, if they were they would have a score on it, -like the lexapro tabs. It's funny when i look at the lexapro tabs they have FL on the back as if to say "Fuck LIfe") It's really forest labs

Edited by Blart752