CrazyBoards.org

Are you ever able to laugh when you're depressed?

Even when I'm deeply depressed I can still joke around and stuff. It makes me think maybe I'm not that badly depressed, even though my dr.'s say I am and I otherwise feel sad. I've always had a good sense of humor and it keeps me going on some days.

I can laugh but it is more rare and much less intense. Sometimes I hear myself laughing and can't believe it is me, as though some other part of my brain thinks something is funny and acts on it.

I still laugh while depressed even while suicidally depressed. Sometimes this confuses the doctors into thinking its not as bad as I say it is. I laugh all the time even when describing things that are horrible. I uncontrollably laugh.

i laugh much less when depressed and don't find things as funny. but do occasionally laugh, even if it's sometimes almost feeling like pure willpower. plus, depression does wax and wane a bit, so one can be quite depressed indeed and still laugh.

Anna

Yes, but it feels like a huge drain on my energy (as opposed to the other end of the scale where laughter energises me). I laugh a lot less and lose my humour for some topics entirely.

I can definitely still laugh, though it takes much more to get me to that point, and I laugh much less often. I don't feel like it's a normal free giddy laugh when I'm depressed, just like a pressure escape.

I could still really laugh when i was very depressed. Even at the deepest end of the spectrum, things would sometimes be so funny I couldn't help it. It felt like mainly a natural reaction... I wasn't any happier, I would go back to a deep depressed state pretty fast. Happiness or any light feeling would seem to be a thing that would slip through my hands.

I'm not bipolar, just unipolar depressed, but yes I can definitely laugh when I'm depressed. But I don't know if it is just me faking it to not draw attention. It really causes me to question the validity of my diagnosis, or of my illness if the diagnosis is correct. I have always felt that others felt the same way inside as I do. And I suspect that I'm just not capable of coping with life and that is why I feel down.

grouse.

For sure. Most of the time anyway. Sometimes I have been very deep in depression and cannot manage a smile or laugh for a while but most of the time I can. For example when I'm forced into polite company/at work smiling and laughing isn't really optional. If I'm really really down I probably can't work and am not suitable for polite company since I can't manage the whole deal.

I still laugh while depressed even while suicidally depressed. Sometimes this confuses the doctors into thinking its not as bad as I say it is. I laugh all the time even when describing things that are horrible. I uncontrollably laugh.

Yep, that's me as well. It kind of sucks, actually.

When seriously depressed I rarely laugh. However, my husband is wickedly sarcastic and been known to make me smile. If it weren't for him I would more than likely never get out of bed when depressed.

But yes, I do occasionally laugh when depressed.

I can definitely still laugh, though it takes much more to get me to that point, and I laugh much less often. I don't feel like it's a normal free giddy laugh when I'm depressed, just like a pressure escape.

That. And sometimes I can't at all, usually about the same time that I don't feel any emotion at all.

People with "atypical depression" can still laugh and have a good time even though they're severely depressed. I know that my sense of humor only disappeared once, and that was because of Topamax. I could probably be dying and still crack jokes, but that's just me.

And the stupid thing is.... atypical depression is the most common type.

Ironic, no?

yup. sometimes it's genuine and sometimes (most of the time) it's a coping mechanism and way to cover things up (trouble is it works too well and i fool myself into thinking i'm ok because i'm laughing even though i want to kill myself).

Archived