CrazyBoards.org

Lamictal will work when it works... if at all. that said, the norm of seeing effects is usually somewhere between 100--200 m.g. i noticed effects at 50 mg but was a quick responder. that said, lamictal doesn't work for everyone, so you will have to keep titrating and see what happens.

Anna

Are you wanting to use it for depression or for a mood stabilizer? I'd like to add something that might be a fluke or it might not be. When I was titrating up, at around 150 mg, I began to feel great. I mean, really great. Unfortunately, I thought that more is better, and I continued to increase it beyond 200 mg to 400 mg. The problem is that as I increased beyond 200 mg, it stopped working as a mood elevator. Again, this migt just be me and maybe I was getting a placebo effect below 200 mg, but I don't think it was a placebo effect. It was so strong, and lasted all week that I was on that particular dose (which I now forget what it exactly was). Maybe it just pooped out on me. I don't know.

Now if you are using it as a mood stabilizer, you might indeed want to increase beyond 200 mg. But if you are using it as an antidepressant, less is more as long as you climb over 100 mg and start getting an AD effect.

I felt my mood start to stabilize within the first two weeks at 25 mg every other day. I was still cycling, but less intensely. I went from being hypomanic one week and totally depressed the next to having slightly more energy one week and having one moderately depressed day the next. Now I'm at 100 mg, and though I think I need to go up some more (my pdoc is weird...), I'm in a good place most of the time. My dad is on it, too, for bipolar I instead of II, and he got a huge mood boost, which went away as he settled on a specific dosage. So I guess it works differently for different people.

Archived