CrazyBoards.org

Latuda and itching all over?

I'm not sure if latuda has a Phenothiazine compound. Would love if someone could tell me. Because I have been dealing with generalized itching pretty much since I started taking this drug. It works great but I have trouble sleeping because of the itching. And I don't know if this is the cause or not. I just am pretty sure that since I have taken it I have had itching all over. This has been going on for 6 months. Which is around the time I began latuda. Has anyone heard of antipsychotics causing a person to itch all over with no rash and no signs of any bites? If so how did they remedy it? I have tried atarax and claritin both antihistamines but they haven't worked at all.

I'm not sure if latuda has a Phenothiazine compound.

No.

I am also on lamictal and my doctor said to stop it because it is known to cause itching. I told him I have no rash or any sign of any bites. So i'm hoping this works. Does anyone know about lamictal and chronic itching all over without rash or any signs of any skin irritation? I'll be stopping it today however just wondering if there is a precedent for this. And if so how long did it take patients to get relief?

Edited by ManWitPlan

Crap I think it is the lamictal causing the itching. I stopped it last wednesday and it seemed to be a little better but not enough to where I could be sure it was it. Also I looked around and only saw lamictal causing itching from rashes, never without any rash. I think im screwed right now, i feel my body sort of pulsating and the creepy itch has returned immediately after taking it 20 minutes ago. As long as there is no rash shouldnt I be okay long enough for it to not cause some of those serious side effects like stephens johnson syndrome? What sucks about this drug is its long half life. I'm pretty sure its lamictal because as soon as I take my medication I feel this creepy crawler itch coming on with no changes in the environment pulsating around my body. Took 200 mg after not taking it for 4-5 days or so. Gon be a long night:(

No a/c should be started and stopped like the way you are doing. You put yourself at higher risk of a discontinuation seizure if you do that. also, you can't just suddenly start 200 m.g. of lamictal after being off it for that time frame. You need to re-titrate up. it puts you at further risk of SJS (if you don't already have it). Watch out for fever and signs of rash, and if they happen, you may wish to go to the ER to get checked out.

Anna

• 4 months later...

Arrghh...the itch is back. I thought the itch was from the lamictal but haven't taken that in 4 months. So its definitely not that. I thought it might be an anticonvulsant allergy of some sort so stopped the neurontin last night and had my worst night of sleep. Only slept one hour the doctor recommended me increase the latuda to 80 which i did. Had one of my worst episodes of racing/intrusive/persecutory thoughts since last december.

Most painful experience having to lay in a bed for 12 hours constantly moving with creepy crawly sensations moving around you. After what I have been through for the last 13 months, diabetes/heart attacks dont seem so bad. I just don't know what to do now. I think it might be the latuda causing the itch. But too tired to even contemplate whats wrong anymore after dealing with this for a year.

Here I am 50 pounds lighter with perfect bloodwork and more miserable than i ever been in my life. With no end in sight. It's gotten to the point where I am looking forward to the pain.

I have been taking Latuda since the end of October 2011 and the last 6 weeks have been plagued by whole-body itching. Everywhere. So now I not only have schizophrenia but I have anxiety and insomnia because of the itching. I finally went to my primary care doc yesterday...and saw the PA, unfortunately. I don't think she had a clue. I told her antihistimines don't help, that I had tried Benadryl and Claritin. She said, "Well, we may just have to put you on Benadryl even though it makes you sleepy." I would LOVE to be sleepy -- that's not the problem I was addressing. I had already told her Benadryl wouldn't work. So I was sitting there scratching my ass (and she was probably scratching hers) feeling frustrated. She did give me a cortisone shot, sent me for some allergy testing (after the shot, duh) and prescribed a heavy-duty antihistimine. I mean, since Benadryl didn't work it occurred to her that a stronger antihistimine might work. I hope she's right -- I couldn't get the prescription filled last night but will pick it up today.

Meanwhile, apparently the Cortisone shot didn't (or at least hasn't) worked. I woke up itching furiously. Same old thing. I have never have hives or a rash, just itching.

Question for you: you stopped the Lamictal, you tried antihistimines...what else? And what are you thinking of trying next? (And don't say "suicide," please.) I really need help. Did you stop Latuda, or are you still taking it? Do you think that might be the problem? It is the best antipsychotic that I've tried as far as symptom control, and I've taken many. I gained 93 lbs on Zyprexa, but that's the one my psychiatrist wants me to keep taking. All I did was eat and sleep, so I don't look forward to going back. But I can't bear the itching anymore.

I have been taking Latuda since the end of October 2011 and the last 6 weeks have been plagued by whole-body itching. Everywhere. So now I not only have schizophrenia but I have anxiety and insomnia because of the itching. I finally went to my primary care doc yesterday...and saw the PA, unfortunately. I don't think she had a clue. I told her antihistimines don't help, that I had tried Benadryl and Claritin. She said, "Well, we may just have to put you on Benadryl even though it makes you sleepy." I would LOVE to be sleepy -- that's not the problem I was addressing. I had already told her Benadryl wouldn't work. So I was sitting there scratching my ass (and she was probably scratching hers) feeling frustrated. She did give me a cortisone shot, sent me for some allergy testing (after the shot, duh) and prescribed a heavy-duty antihistimine. I mean, since Benadryl didn't work it occurred to her that a stronger antihistimine might work. I hope she's right -- I couldn't get the prescription filled last night but will pick it up today.

Meanwhile, apparently the Cortisone shot didn't (or at least hasn't) worked. I woke up itching furiously. Same old thing. I have never have hives or a rash, just itching.

Question for you: you stopped the Lamictal, you tried antihistimines...what else? And what are you thinking of trying next? (And don't say "suicide," please.) I really need help. Did you stop Latuda, or are you still taking it? Do you think that might be the problem? It is the best antipsychotic that I've tried as far as symptom control, and I've taken many. I gained 93 lbs on Zyprexa, but that's the one my psychiatrist wants me to keep taking. All I did was eat and sleep, so I don't look forward to going back. But I can't bear the itching anymore.

Have you tried cogentin(benztropine)? The itchy crawling feeling can be a symptom of akathisia. Or maybe a beta blocker? I have been using cogentin for the last couple of days with better results. Been using about 300 mg of seroquel added to it. Slept about 4 hours last night then got in a couple more. Not great sleep but I am just going to see if it goes away. The frustrating thing is I can find nothing about how to treat it and if it will go away, or if this happens you have to stop the drug.

I found this about it so we definitely aren't alone.

http://forums.psychc...p/t-208466.html

But I suggest you talk to your pdoc. They should know if it will go away or not. I'm contemplating getting off of the medication myself.

Heres a link also talking about how crawling feelings can be akathisia.

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=Ask_the_Pharmacist&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=128836

in the first paragraph at the bottom.

Edited by ManWitPlan

• 11 months later...

I was prescribed one 40mg Latuda tablet once daily. I have BP2 and felt amazing benefits from taking this drug. However, after the 5th week I had developed non-stop itching on feet and hands also some hives around my back and arms. My pdoc. said stop immdiately as this is a potentially severe allergic reaction. I did not need to go to hospital however, had my face, throat or tongue swelled would have needed to, according to my pdoc. The side effect was so misrable for me I reported this symptom both Sunovion the manufacturer Latuda and the FDA.

Pdoc advised taking 2 Benadryl, 25 mg. when symptoms appeared. It took me 6 days once I stopped Latuda for this symptoms/side effect to go away. I still have occasional and mild itch but not like the hellish event before stopping Latuda.

Also, the use of Latuda (or any antipsychotic) has the potential side effect Tardive Dyskinesia. This may occur even after the antiphyschotic drug has been stopped and this made me nervous. I did hate stopping this drug as I never felt better, that is until the incessant itching occurred.

My pdoc then prescribed 300 mgs of Trileptal (anticonvulsant) as a mood stabilizer. Having stopped the Latuda as preventative for seizures although I have never had any before.

Edited by lsha