CrazyBoards.org

Not sure what's wrong with me

I have seen a psychiatrist for awhile and he diagnosed me but wouldn't tell me what it is when I asked him. So either he doesn't know or felt not the need to tell me.

Symptoms:

• Uncomfortable with eye contact
  • Slumped posture
  • Low energy
  • Low motivation
  • Sometimes do aimless things like pick up items and place them in random position, and then realize a few moments later that what I did makes no sense
  • Cannot do anything that requires planning,.. just draw a blank, used to be a software engineer but can't do it anymore because I can't think how to organize a project
  • Starting to have stuttering or stammering episodes, or times when I can't remember words
  • Sometimes my speech does not make sense, but sometimes i am very clear
  • I often stare a lot at people and it freaks them out, sometimes i think women are attracted to me, but they are not
  • Pace a lot, feel like I have to move around
  • Sleep long hours maybe 12 hrs per night
  • Smoke compulsively
  • High anxiety levels
  • Seomtimes mistakenly believe people are talking badly behind my back, but only when I am hiding in my room
  • Social withdrawn, stay in my room a lot
  • My mind is blank when I am in social conversation, I don't know what to say or how to act, and I get nervous easily and start swallowing hard , sweating etc, and sometimes have to leave
  • Short term memory difficulty, forgetting to do something that is asked, or something i had to do
  • Can't visualize what people tell me to do, and can't perform simple task sometimes, although sometimes i can do a complicated task much easier
  • Get lost driving easily, used to get lost inside stores and couldnt find my way out
  • Have very poor visual-spatial skills, like estimating how many feet or putting together mechanical parts
  • Very crippling fear of people.. I am very weak, its like i can't stand up for myself and very low confidence, when I try to stand up for myself i feel this overwhelming fear and it makes me look like a coward
  • A lot of weird gesturing with hands and body language
  • Child-like reactions to things
  • I look at the ground a lot when I am walking around, and for some reason I follow people instead of walking next to them (which weirds them out...)
  • Bad balance with gait, weird way of walking, I stumble around a lot and misplace my footing
  • Out of breath easily (even before smoking)
  • Mood swings from time to time, sometimes in a very bad mood and want to break things, other times very depressed and cry in bed (even though i am a grown man...).. embarassing
  • Weird OCD symptoms where I start to stare at people's private parts uncontrollbaly.. this one is very stressing for me and I just started doing this maybe 2 years ago and have no idea why

Does anyone know what is wrong..? Could be a mental illness or some deficiency?

Yes, you have to pin down your doctor for a diagnosis. We can't do that. You've presented a laundry list of symptoms some or most of which may not be of clinical significance. I would advise you to work with your pdoc and to get a tdoc if you do not already have one. You can work on many of these symptoms with a therapist.

Yes, you have to pin down your doctor for a diagnosis. We can't do that. You've presented a laundry list of symptoms some or most of which may not be of clinical significance. I would advise you to work with your pdoc and to get a tdoc if you do not already have one. You can work on many of these symptoms with a therapist.

Well you could take a stab if you like. Like I said my psychiatrist didn't explain, and wouldn't even care to listen.. he just shoved pills in my face.

The therapist that I saw actually kept making insulting remarks towards me, so i stopped seeing him. I thought these guys are supposed to be unbiased?

I can't diagnose you, but I can relate to a few of the things you had said. Like the weird OCD about looking at someone's pants/private parts. I don't like look at them while they are naked. But my therapist or my old therapists, used to sit in the chair across from me, no desk in between and all i did was look down at his crotch every few seconds while he was talking to me. I thought it strange that I did that. It may have correlated with taking my first ssri lexapro, and maybe it was because of the sexual dysfunction that comes along with that.

I also get out of breath easily, I had a job of pushing carts in for 4 hours, and while i was huffing and puffing, the overly obese fat kid working with me was mowing down the carts. It was later diagnosed as asthma, but I am currently looking into different diagnoses/doctors of this issue.

I specifically get intercoastal retractions, where your chest wall retracts when you take a deep breath or suck in to get air. That is indicative of respiratory troubles. I also find it easier to breathe if I lean forward a bit.

I do aimless things, which got worse with the introduction of gabapentin and klonopin.

What pills did he give you. Could that give some indication?

Geodon, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Lamictal, Ativan

I heard him ask one time are you having trouble with the voices.. but I don't have voices or hallucinations. Like he made a mistake or something.

I think he knows I have a mood disorder.

how was your therapist insulting?

He would tell me things like I'm not a good person. He would look at me like I am annoying.

When I took a personality test he threw the test at me.

I've been to other therapists before that were good, i mean theyre supposed to be impartial, but this guy is just an ass.

In the states at least you have a right to know your diagnosis. And when a doctor suggests a medication you can ask him why, and talk about it. Are you taking medication?

I didn't know this. Thanks for the info. I'm not currently taking medication, because I'm waiting to get health insurance (Medicare enrollment). The last medications I took landed me in the hospital

with side effects, and now I have big hospital bills that I can't pay. But with health insurance they are covered. I'm probably going to find a new psychiatrist, and start a different med when I can.

Hopefully I can find a better pdoc that will give me a more accurate dx.

I can't diagnose you, but I can relate to a few of the things you had said. Like the weird OCD about looking at someone's pants/private parts. I don't like look at them while they are naked. But my therapist or my old therapists, used to sit in the chair across from me, no desk in between and all i did was look down at his crotch every few seconds while he was talking to me

Blart, you seem to have similar side effects and problems as me. I'm thinking that maybe we don't like eye contact so we put our eyes down and then it comes in view with someone's private area, and somehow it turns into a compulsive habit.

It is really distressing habit, because if someone notices you doing that, they are thining you are gay or perverted or something. But I can't help it, its uncontrollable sometimes and I only started doing that like 2 years ago for no reason.

No idea the cause, but could also be sexual dysfunction like you said.

Try and find a doctor whom you like, or can at least tolerate. Someone who will answer your questions and hold a conversation.

I don't EVEN know what to say about that therapist. He threw a test at you? Told you that you were a bad person??? He sounds like a complete jackass.

If you can't relate to and do not understand your pdoc and tdoc, get new ones when medicare kicks in. When you do get them, talk to them. Ask questions. Get your diagnosis or working diagnosis. Understand why you are being given medication.

If you've had other pdocs and tdocs, my guess is that you know more than you are implying here, btw. But I could be wrong which is why I gave a serious answer to begin.

Guest Vapourware

The reasons why it's hard to make a stab in the dark as to your dx from your list of symptoms is because they can be caused by lots of conditions, or even a combination of symptoms.

Being given lamictal and antipsychotics MIGHT be an indication of some sort of mood + psychosis disorder, and the anxiety MAY indicate anxiety of some sort, but that's really as far as I'd personally go.

I'm very surprised that your doctor hasn't told you your dx. You'll have to be either very insistent on getting a dx from them, or change to another doctor who is much more willing to disclose information. In most places, doctors are obliged to tell you of your diagnosis and what is happening with your treatment.

If you've had other pdocs and tdocs, my guess is that you know more than you are implying here, btw. But I could be wrong which is why I gave a serious answer to begin.

I've had a few but didn't see them very long. Few therapists here and there I saw for maybe few days and then bailed. And was hospitalized once, but not treated effectively.

The reason I bailed early probably because of my mood disorder, I usually have trouble with motivation and getting out of bed, going places.

My behavior can be kind of erratic.

But yeah, I'll have to get another pdc and tdoc, just hard for me right now, because the better selection of docs requires me to travel

maybe 2 hrs from where I live, and I don't have the money right now. So I thought I'd ask this board, since people with MI might be familiar

with the symptoms.

I have a lot of those same traits, if you find "where it fits" let me know

I have seen a psychiatrist for awhile and he diagnosed me but wouldn't tell me what it is when I asked him. So either he doesn't know or felt not the need to tell me.

Symptoms:

• Uncomfortable with eye contact
  • Slumped posture
  • Low energy
  • Low motivation
  • Sometimes do aimless things like pick up items and place them in random position, and then realize a few moments later that what I did makes no sense
  • Cannot do anything that requires planning,.. just draw a blank, used to be a software engineer but can't do it anymore because I can't think how to organize a project
  • Starting to have stuttering or stammering episodes, or times when I can't remember words
  • Sometimes my speech does not make sense, but sometimes i am very clear
  • I often stare a lot at people and it freaks them out, sometimes i think women are attracted to me, but they are not
  • Pace a lot, feel like I have to move around
  • Sleep long hours maybe 12 hrs per night
  • Smoke compulsively
  • High anxiety levels
  • Seomtimes mistakenly believe people are talking badly behind my back, but only when I am hiding in my room
  • Social withdrawn, stay in my room a lot
  • My mind is blank when I am in social conversation, I don't know what to say or how to act, and I get nervous easily and start swallowing hard , sweating etc, and sometimes have to leave
  • Short term memory difficulty, forgetting to do something that is asked, or something i had to do
  • Can't visualize what people tell me to do, and can't perform simple task sometimes, although sometimes i can do a complicated task much easier
  • Get lost driving easily, used to get lost inside stores and couldnt find my way out
  • Have very poor visual-spatial skills, like estimating how many feet or putting together mechanical parts
  • Very crippling fear of people.. I am very weak, its like i can't stand up for myself and very low confidence, when I try to stand up for myself i feel this overwhelming fear and it makes me look like a coward
  • A lot of weird gesturing with hands and body language
  • Child-like reactions to things
  • I look at the ground a lot when I am walking around, and for some reason I follow people instead of walking next to them (which weirds them out...)
  • Bad balance with gait, weird way of walking, I stumble around a lot and misplace my footing
  • Out of breath easily (even before smoking)
  • Mood swings from time to time, sometimes in a very bad mood and want to break things, other times very depressed and cry in bed (even though i am a grown man...).. embarassing
  • Weird OCD symptoms where I start to stare at people's private parts uncontrollbaly.. this one is very stressing for me and I just started doing this maybe 2 years ago and have no idea why

Does anyone know what is wrong..? Could be a mental illness or some deficiency?

Guest Vapourware

No eye contact can occur with several conditions and isn't limited to ASD alone. Not being critical, just making a note. For instance, schizophrenia and social anxiety would be two other conditions where no eye contact, or limited eye contact, can occur. Also, not everyone with ASD has issues with not making eye contact - with some people on the spectrum, the problem is with making TOO much eye contact.

Archived