CrazyBoards.org

I'm just curious, did your doctor give you a reason for putting you on Haldol instead of one of the newer AAPs? I'm not second guessing your doctor; I'm just curious.

No, he didn't. Plus, my pharmacist told me there's a possible interaction between haldol and lithium, so she's contacting my pdoc tomorrow to make sure he knows everything before filling the script.

Guest Vapourware

Hai and welcome to the club. This is where all the cool kids hang out :P

Seriously though, it can be a bit of an adjustment to make when you are first given the dx. Let us know if you have any questions. I'm another who did the BP - SZA progression, although mine was a little less abrupt. Then again, as long as the dx gives you the help you need for your symptoms, then it doesn't really matter what you're called.

I also do find the decision of your doctor to use haldol a bit surprising. Have you ever tried any of the other atypical antipsychotics? I personally haven't tried haldol, but I believe it can really calm someone down if they are agitated, so I wonder if that might've factored into the reason why he prescribed it. It's still a fairly effective AP.

Hey I was today told my working diagnosed is Schizoaffective bipolar type too. Yay I am not the only one. :)

Hai! It's good to have someone else to talk to who's going through the same things I am. My pdoc didn't say what type of SZA I had, but, it doesn't take a pdoc to figure out the diagnostic progression from BP2 - SZA BP. I guess I skipped right over BP1, too bad that's not nearly as cool as it sounds.

It seems like the only real difference between BP1 and SZA is that you experience pyschosis or delusions outside of a mood episode for SZA, and with a mood episode for BP1? I ask because my pdoc was concerned about my 'thought broadcasting' (see other thread I started on that), which I guess is a 'first-level' symptom for schizophrenia. Is sza schizophrenia-lite? I've done some searching, but it's hard to put it all together.

Guest Vapourware

A bit more detail...

No, schizoaffective isn't schizophrenia-lite [that's more schizotypal disorder]. You're not the only one that thinks that - for some reason, there's a misconception amongst some people that schizoaffective is a "lite" form of schizophrenia. I think it's the whole concept that schizoaffective tends to have a better outcome than schizophrenia. Why, I'm not entirely sure - I'm still looking for definitive reasons behind that statement.

Schizoaffective is basically when you have symptoms of schizophrenia, combined with a mood disorder. The subtypes of SZA are:

+ Bipolar - hypomania/mania, mixed episode and/or hypomania/mania + depression;

+ Depressive - depression only.

Schizoaffective is seen as part of the schizophrenia spectrum. So, to get a schizoaffective dx, you need to meet Criterion A for schizophrenia and have at least two weeks without a mood disorder but with delusions and/or hallucinations. Criterion A for schizophrenia is currently:

A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):

(1) delusions

(2) hallucinations

(3) disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence)

(4) grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior

(5) negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia, or avolition

Clear as mud? :)

The general gist of SZA is that it's primarily a psychotic disorder, with some mood episodes. That makes it different to something like BP/MDD with psychotic features, where the mood component of the disorder is the predominant issue and there's a psychosis overlay.

Archived