CrazyBoards.org

Effect of Abilify on Motivation

I think it was pretty motivation-neutral for me, heh. Unless you count the times it failed to stabilize my mood and I got hypomanic and thus unbelievably motivated.

I think, though, if it's helping your depression, it should help with the motivation. So definitely worth a shot (though I say that of all meds).

Has anyone ever taken Abilify and noticed an effect on motivation?

Personally, it killed my ability to experience inspiration by some indirect effect. Over time I ran out of things I had been inspired to do. I then totally lost all motivation as there was nothing I was inspired to do.

This could well be a bipolar issue. It could just be me. But it is a direct personal experience. The drug did wonders for paranoia and other manic symptomology. But it had long term side effects I could not live with.

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm getting desparate with the motivational issue, and I'm thinking about asking to change my AAP from risperidone to something else in addition to raising my Wellbutrin. Abilify seems to be the most obvious, although I have read some good things about Latuda and its positive effect on motivation.

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm getting desparate with the motivational issue, and I'm thinking about asking to change my AAP from risperidone to something else in addition to raising my Wellbutrin. Abilify seems to be the most obvious, although I have read some good things about Latuda and its positive effect on motivation.

I should note I was taking a higher dosage of Abilify (15-20 mg) and I find it to be a different medication below 7.5 per day where I had some return of symptomology.

i think abilify functions pretty differently for different people, from what i've seen, so you'd have to try it and see. that said, it is considered one of the more "activating" AAPs so it theoretically could have an effect on motivation I suppose.

Anna

Archived