CrazyBoards.org

ADHD Job Dilemmas Anyone? I'm Freaking Out

Okay... I don't know how I'm gonna start this... but I think I've known that I've had ADHD all along.

I've recently just been diagnosed with Clinical Depression. I talked to my pdoc and told him all the things that I'm going through, how I've always found it hard to keep my enthusiasm in my jobs and other adhd symptoms. He told me that it is also highly possible that I do have adhd, he just wants to treat the depression first.

I've been on Lexapro for about 2 weeks now. I have also been on leave from work. When I took this job, I was so sure that this is going to be it. I love what I'm doing, I love sales, I know it's hardcore... I even said I would be the last man standing. But now... I can't believe this... I'm just not so sure anymore. Like I always do, after being in a job for a couple of months... I just don't find it as interesting as it used to be. I mean... it's always been the SAME OLD STORY. But I thought this job would be different. Well, when I think about it, I've had the same enthusiasm with my other jobs as well. I don't know what to do.

Now that the depression is lifting a little, I really need to get back to work because I need to work. But, I'm just not sure if I still want to get back to this work. I'm in real estate. I thought I finally found a job that I can stay in. I'm not taking any meds for adhd yet. My pdoc is out of the country, I wouldn't see him for another two weeks. But my insides are jittery and again, I find myself sending in online applications already for other jobs. What should I do???

I know the adhd meds help you focus and all... but would it do anything about decision making? Especially in major decisions like leaving and taking another job.

HELP!!!

Maybe see if you can add wellbutrin to the Lex, or swap it out. It's indicated for both depression and ADHD, although it's usually not as effective as stimulants.

There are cases where the depression is caused by ADHD and the depression won't get worse until the ADHD is treated.

What does it do?

It's a norepenphrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor (mostly norepenephrine). It partially corrects the chemical deficits in your brain that manifest themselves as depression and ADHD.

Will it help you stay on a job? It would likely be a push in the right direction but I have no way of knowing how you'd respond to it.

What concerns me right now... is should I stay on this job and try to work things out first with meds and other stuff... Could I really stay on a job? Or what kind of job is really fit for someone with adhd...? Or should I just quit and start over?

And would the adhd meds help in deciding if I should stay on this job.

And also... do I really want to quit this job or is this just another adhd symptom???

I am sooo confused. Sorry... I'm all messed up right now.

People with ADHD tend to be adrenaline junkies. Fast paced, high stress jobs tend to attract a lot of people with ADHD. If you're in sales and make a game out of earning commissions, I see how that could work out for you. When the adrenaline kicks in, time slows down and we can actually think right (unless there's a enough comorbid anxiety that it makes that worse).

If you really feel "on the ball" when you're pushing to make a big sale, that's likely what's happening and it's a good job for you. If you do have ADHD, you'll be able to do it even better on the right meds. The only problem is dealing with the depression. If you can start out by taking a med that deals with both ADHD and depression (there are a handful), that sounds like a way to get you back on your feet faster. The only reason you wouldn't want to do that is if you also have bad anxiety in which case such a med could make it worse.

How do you and coffee get along?

Ever done coke or crystal meth, maybe even liked them a little too much? Many of the drugs used to treat ADHD are amphetamine based so there's no coincidence there if so.

Thanks!! NOW THAT... makes a LOT of sense :) Yeah I do felt I really love sales... although I haven't really made one yet. I just started and like I said, it is a bit hardcore.

I've never done drugs... (well save for weed) but that was a long time ago.

I DO LOVE COFFEE... It's my best friend. But I'm not really sure if it's supposed to help or worsen. I've just been a coffee drinker since forever.

Now that you said those things about sales... it actually made me remember why this job REALLY did attract me in the first place. I feel a bit better now...

maybe I don't want to quit.

IDK. I'm skeptical. You haven't described any ADHD symptoms except job hopping which a lot of non-ADHD people do. You haven't made any sales, so you could be feeling like you're not succeeding. Instead of pushing thru that, it sounds like it's easier to walk away. IMHO, it sounds more like you need to work on staying power than seeking a med for an illness it doesn't sound like you have. Now, I'll qualify that a little since you mentioned that your doc said it was a maybe. (Was that a psychiatrist or a GP?) You may have some inattention, but people with less extreme ADHD still need to work within the confines of society, which includes staying employed. Most swing that. Don't use an illness as an excuse for a decision you make. Meds will not change your responsibility for those.

Errr... he is a Psychiatrist. I didn't mention my symptoms here, but I mentioned them to my doctor. Because I wanted to get help specifically on my job dilemma which is freaking me out right now. But I do know this, I do know that I am not making an excuse out of it.

Well, to name a few, I have a LOT of interests and a LOT of enthusiasm in them, and then I would start doing too many things at once, like when I was in school, I joined the choir, the student council, I was active in religious orgs, I joined the play/ theater... and then got confused in the process that I wouldn't really finish doing them. I ended up failing my subjects. Even in school, I had problems sitting through a class or even getting on time. I am a Psychology major. Then I got sooo interested in Mass Communication that I almost changed my course. My doctor said I was probably just smart that's why I got away or passed.

When I say I quit jobs... I don't just decide to quit them after some thought like a decision process like normal people do. Here's the pattern - 1st month - very enthusiastic, I would even be on the top 10, I learn fast so I absorb as much as I can, my performance is a blast, 2nd month - I learn fast, so once I've learned everything I need to know, I'm starting to lose the thrill of it; 3rd month, job doesn't appeal to me anymore, I would start to be late and absent... and then I can't take it anymore that without any plans on what to do next, I write a resignation letter, invent some family emergency, and make my resignation - EFFECTIVE THAT DAY. That's how impulsive and impatient I get. There was even a situation when I was asked to stay on the job for just 2 more weeks... I tried for two days, and it felt like torture. I left the 2nd day.

Before the depression, I am always on the go. I can't stay in one place or sit for a long time. I am easily bored. I also tend to speak a lot, like what I'm doing right now and can't wait my turn in discussions. Right now, I'm a bit tamed because of the depression but now, it's lifting and I'm feeling adhd-ish again.

So are you saying the meds won't help me stay on a job as well? So does that mean I'm screwed? Cause that's what I was trying to find out... if there is a way to actually stay on a job and if the helps actually help.

One more thing.... Not having a sale on the 2nd month in my job is normal. I have just finished training by the way. Some people make their 1st sale on the 7th month.

We're selling high-end properties and they're very very expensive. Only the nitch market can afford it.

Okay, you do have a bunch of ADHD symptoms. Sorry to challenge you, but you hadn't mentioned any. ADHD meds should help you calm down and focus. You might still have issues sticking with a job, though. Meds don't solve everything, but they should with the impulsivity. The reality is that many jobs are dull and alot of people quit them fairly fast.

Have you considered therapy in addition or in lieu of meds? It can be effective and isn't going to hurt.

• 1 month later...

Don't quit your job unless there is a really good reason to do so that lasts for some weeks. If you don't have one already, and your pdoc doesn't have time to give you an appointment every week or two (or if your insurance doesn't cover it), you should have a tdoc and go over this stuff. Drugs help but they are not everything. A good shrink may be able to help you stick with a job longer. Be sure and consider what's really best for you, carefully, before making any decision to leave.

I quit my last job, but it was two or three months between the last straw and the time that I left. That way I was able to stay on until the project was in a good place, so (I hope) I left a good impression.

Archived