CrazyBoards.org

I was picking through some of the earlier posts and I came across one about 'thought broadcasting'. I did a little search and found out what it was. I had previously mentioned to my pdoc that sometimes it feels like my thoughts are so loud other people can hear them. However, I don't actually think other people really can. Just that it's so loud in my head I'm sometimes a little surprised that they can't, if that makes any sense. Anyway, is this 'thought broadcasting'? It seems like in order to qualify, I would have to really believe other people could read my thoughts?

Guest Vapourware

That could be classified under thought broadcasting, in the sense that you feel that other people can hear your thoughts. With delusional thoughts, you can maintain an insight that your thoughts are not based on reality, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the thoughts and experiences themselves are not delusional. Hope that makes sense - it's like you are still thinking, on some level, that people are hearing your thoughts.

It might be an idea to talk to your pdoc about your experience anyways, and see what he thinks.

If this helps, my personal experience has been that I've felt like I was a human radio station. My thoughts get so loud that I believe they are escaping my head and other people can hear them. I was also afraid that they would hear my secrets and use them against me.

From my understanding, I think that you have to believe that the other people can actually hear your thoughts for it to be classed as thought broadcasting. But I am fairly new to the terminology (though unfortunately not the experience) and only even knew that the problem had a name since reading about it on CB.

I am another one who thinks when my thoughts are really loud that it is one of the things that triggers the thought broadcasting for me, because I actually do believe that other people around me can hear my thoughts at that point. Since going on meds I am slightly better able to reality check myself, but this is a problem that rears its ugly head quite a lot.

It is good that you are aware that the other people cannot hear your thoughts.

Usually for me, I will think that they can and then I can tell myself later (just after the thought I think they can hear) that perhaps they can't.

Hope this makes sense, and isn't just a load of utter rubbish. :unsure:

No rubbish. In the older I'll call it classical definition, it doesn't count as a delusion unless the belief is held with absolute certainty with no possibility of changing the person's mind by reasoning with them. In modern conceptions I've seen looser definitions in research use where there is a sort of scale of pathology, with the top end of the scale showing that the person is entirely preoccupied with the belief, or extremely distressed by the belief, and the lowest rung on the scale showing that the person has a belief but does not firmly hold to their belief, but it still counts under the category "Delusions" on the pathology scale, in the latter case I imagine one could theoretically be 1% believing and 99% disbelieving,

I'd put myself at the low end of that scale. Like I said, for the most part I don't actually believe people can read my minds. Sometimes, though, it gets kinda 'fuzzy'. But the feelings don't really cause me any distress, which is why I was initially surprised when my pdoc reacted the way he did. I almost didn't mention it (thought broadcasting?) to him because, at first, I didn't think it was that big of an issue, It seemed rather mundane and not really symptomatic.

Archived