CrazyBoards.org

Do you think that this is a littl manic!

I been a tad depressed these days, lot of people in my family dying and stuff.

So very enthusiastically found the numbers of the gift of the givers, NGO.

I am now leaving on next week Tuesday to head off to Somalia as a part of our medical relief team!! Going to feed some starving babies.

I have even gotten money raised.....

If it is,,,

I don't want to crash in Somalia

Have you thought through things like how you will get meds and what you'll do if you need emergency care?

How long will you be gone for?

It's really hard to say. It sounds somwhat impulsive from the way you've presented it, but I don't know if it's mania.

Guest Vapourware

I'm a bit more concerned with how you're going to look after yourself while over in Somalia. It's great that you're doing what you're doing, but...what about your meds? Does the NGO know about your condition? What sort of care is available, if at all, in Somalia? How long are you there for? If you do have a crisis, what are your plans?

Ashdene, below is your post from one week ago. Not very stable, struggling with depression and night terrors. That is not very long ago. As much as I think service work, volunteer work, or a medical relief trip is wonderful, wonderful.....Are you really stable enough at this moment in time to handle the stress, hardship, and heart break of a trip to Somalia?? I think you should contact your psychiatrist and/or therapist to discuss this before you go. Take care of yourself. Ladybug

Somalia needs so much help. It is wonderful that you want to help all those children. But it will not be an easy trip. Can you handle it? Can you emotionally manage the suffering and heart break that you will see?

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

I would love to make my world end, but the only thing holding me back is my mother, she is my best friend and could never do that to her. Both her parents and her niece (god daughter) just died in the last three months. And she is planning on leaving my dad.

I can't hurt her, she needs me so much, to loose me would destroy her.

But i am battling, night terrors, depression, anxiety ++++ and so forth

I'm tired of it all.

Lonely - live alone, family is 8 hours away.

Sounds like a manic/impulsive decision.

There are so many other ways to volunteer that are closer to home. Not that I don't admire your generous spirit and your drive to help, but I'd be worried about being that far away from home / meds / pdoc unless I had been stable for some time. I remember reading your post from a week ago as quoted above, and I'm worried for you.

k

Sounds like a manic/impulsive decision.

There are so many other ways to volunteer that are closer to home. Not that I don't admire your generous spirit and your drive to help, but I'd be worried about being that far away from home / meds / pdoc unless I had been stable for some time. I remember reading your post from a week ago as quoted above, and I'm worried for you.

k

I agree with this. Unless this has been a lifelong dream of yours, and you'd spent months planning it, I'd say it's a pretty impulsive decision. Impulsive decisions of this magnitude need some careful deliberation and planning. If you still think it's a good idea next summer, and you're feeling better, I'd try it then.

I did something similar when Hurricane Katrina hit. I went out and became a Red Cross hard-core volunteer. Like two days after the hurricane struck. Did I mention that I was working at the time and took days off work to do this? I've improved a great deal on impulsive major life situations since then.

I would definitely say do some volunteering closer to home. Travel is a major stressor and it sounds like you have enough of those atm. I can understand the desire for a change of scene, but I think you would enjoy it more if you were truly stable first.

Anna

I am starting to panic over this idea now, on the one hand I was also feeling like I needed a jolt, my life has become so rigid and mundane. Thought I might need awake up. I'm lonely, bored at work, no family in the same time as mine. And need a reality check before i go off the deep end.

But I agree, I might have found a half way line between my bedroom and Somalia. I think it is an amazing opportunity and a once in a life time experience. I love adrenalin (not a good thing sometimes). But I have been so exhausted, have barely been able to make it through the day. I thought I might be anemic but i wasn't. Then thought it was stress or depressed. Maybe this would wake me up, or I won't be able to cope there either. Which would be a disaster. There is no space for that there!

Everything in my life is stressing me out beyond control. I need a purpose to go on, a little perspective or just get away from my own reality for a while, my "family", job, living alone, being alone - I haven't even kissed a guy in a year now.

Because I work in a Tertiary government hospital they decided to give me special leave, so they giving me the time off for free. I leave on Tuesday......

xox

Archived