CrazyBoards.org

Why is there a facebook icon?

Ok this isn't a suggestion, but just wondering what's up with the "Share this topic" at the bottom of threads and icons including a FACEBOOk icon.

I really do not want to click that by mistake. I seriously don't want to share my topics and posts here on my FB, LOL.

Oh and I'm not a newbie, just have another username and been away from the boards for over a year, there didn't used to be options to share on FB back then.

I keep having to check my FB after Ive posted something on here, in case it ends up in my newsfeed.

Some of the stuff is to let you use your facebook login here so you don't have to create a new one and remember another password, just like a lot of sites are doing now.

Like it or not, search engines are how people find us. The way you rank higher in search engines is to have people link to you on other websites. All the various share buttons are there to encourage people to create links to us on various social media sites. It's the best way to insure we have a steady influx of new visitors. 95% of this site's page hits, and therefore advertising revenue, comes from unregistered guests who are looking for information on a particular topic. In order to keep that traffic we've got to keep our search engine rankings at least sorta high. I'm not trying to strike it rich here, just pay the bills. I'm living well below the poverty level with no insurance. If I can't pay rent each month, the site goes away and I have to get a job at Burger King.

Any blog that's not accessible to google, which is most of them, is technically a money loser btw. I'm paying for the resources without getting anything back. That cost has to be made up by monetizing the rest of the content on the boards.

• 7 months later...

hi i'm having problems uploading a pic to put in my profile. One of the forums said it had to be less than 2.0 megs, mine is 1.59 megs but i still can't load it. I don't know how to get an avatar. help pls...

Okay, I wasn't comfortable for having mine open, but if people find out I'm bipolar II and have anxiety SO FN what, right? I've opened it up to guest viewing again....I am sure the nail stuff draws people. I just have to deal...I want to help CB. I don't want to be a drain. I want to help lift it up! I know people will recognize my nails, and I am not shy about my disability here or on other websites, and I will work on taking my acceptance of my MI a little further. :) If someone has a problem with my having bipolar II or anxiety they are the one with a problem, not me, I LIKE who I am.

*Steps off soapbox*

I opened my blog up, and I'm proud of CB and being a member here. :) I hope my doing this really does help...

Guest Vapourware

I find I just have to be mindful about where I click :P Although, I've never remotely come near the share buttons, because they are on the left and my mouse is usually on the right [where the scroll bar and "post button are located].

However, personally I don't see the utility of having those share links. I don't think anyone actually uses them. CB is about anonymity when it comes to users, so having a FB link runs counter to the ethos of the board, IMO. Anytime someone logs into CB using their FB login, they inevitably ask for their name to be changed. This is just my opinion, though.

• 3 months later...

I also noticed and am worried about the share buttons. I find myself debating if it is safe for me to be a member for that reason. God forbid I should accidentally click on fb, would it automatically link crazyboards to your fb account? I only used part of myfb login ID for my crazyboards ID. If this site linked to my fb would they find out what my crazyboards ID was?

I also noticed and am worried about the share buttons. I find myself debating if it is safe for me to be a member for that reason. God forbid I should accidentally click on fb, would it automatically link crazyboards to your fb account? I only used part of myfb login ID for my crazyboards ID. If this site linked to my fb would they find out what my crazyboards ID was?

You control how much of the facebook integration stuff is turned on. I'm pretty sure it's all off by default.

If you're worried, make a new ID and don't login with facebook connect.

I 'think' it also enables Facebook Connect and other data collecting cookies. "Facebook operates: Facebook Beacon, Facebook Connect, Facebook Conversion Tracking, Facebook Social Graph, Facebook Social Plugins."

The data collection is not exclusively limited to the FB website. Facebook Connect is on over 700,000 websites, including this one.

"Privacy Information

Privacy Policy:arrows_collapse.png

http://www.facebook.com/policy.php

Data Collected:Anonymous (Browser Information, Demographic Data, Interaction Data , Page Views )

Pseudonymous (IP Address (EU PII))

Data Sharing:Data is shared with 3rd parties (specifics undisclosed).

Data Retention:Undisclosed"