CrazyBoards.org

Piercing Instead of Cutting (Maybe a little triggering for some)

Malachi

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience, or even just an opinion on it. Without getting too graphic, instead of cutting my skin, I've been using a straight pin to pierce it. One I did something else with it that was like a shallow cut, but not much. The marks fade more quickly, and are easier to conceal or explain away than the gashes I was leaving all over my arms last time.

So yeah, I'd really appreciate any feedback.

It's still self harm. There's a pinned post on this particular board with suggested alternatives to hurting yourself when you feel the urge. Those are suitable substitutions. Hurting yourself, regardless of the tools used, is never a good idea.

I'm struggling with it myself, so I get why you're doing the pin thing. It just doesn't work that way though. First a pin, then something else, then something else.... y'know?

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you all for your replies! I spoke to my tdoc today, and she seems to agree. She wants me to stop.

A.O: Yeah...the pin isn't sharp enough, so I found myself wanting something that could go deeper...slippery slope, I guess.

Who-Who-Who-: Oh yeah, I've cut, burnt, bit, banged, scratched, and now stabbed, at some point or another

y58: Mhmm, I know it's addictive...trust me, I've been MUCH worse than I am now.

Our body has a whole lot of earrings and some tattoos because they were, at one time, an alternative to SI for us. Arguably they're still SI, but it's more socially acceptable to have rings in your ears and ink (says something about SI there, doesn't it?). Which is what we thought that this post was about. But we were wrong, so.

If you're stabbing yourself, it's still SI, yes. It also risks progressing from pins very quickly, or the pincushion grows, next thing you know you'll be living with a porcupine that you want to cuddle with, etc.

The trouble with SI is that there are so many ways to do it! So then you get into negotiations "well, if it's cat-inflicted, is that SI? If I do this? Or this?" Chances are that if you're looking to justify it that way then yes, you're looking for excuses to hurt yourself physically. Which means that you should be looking for where your emotions are leaking.

Now, if only the others here would take this advice, we wouldn't have so many problems! :P

Hopefully you feel better soon. It's a rough spot to be in, when you're looking for justifications. Distractions only help so much.

Archived