CrazyBoards.org

ETC electro convulsive therapy

I read something somewhere a while back that brought ECT as the last option if your moods where cycling and nothing else would work if I remember right it was a viable solution and there was a fairly good that it would cure I don't remember if it was a permanent cure though and I was just wondering and I really don't know what it does to you but it did get my interest up

I read that but I just cant remember on whether or not it is a permanent fix I know from a psychology class in college that it was a treatment for anything and everything kinda over used what brought my interest up well one I'm an electrician and two I was wiring a live circuit the other day and a fellow employee told me to look out I would get some therapy if I went ground the nice guy's I work with that have no scruples at all

I had ECT in the middle of last April. It saved my life. I am SUCH a fan of ECT. I didn't feel a thing during the actual procedure, there was very little memory problems during the treatments like I couldn't remember what I ate for breakfast and such, and it pulled me out of the deep deep depression and stopped the mania altogether. I have only had one episode since april. I'm in college and am doing so well- a complete turn around from this time last year. The only problem I've experienced is my writing- I know how to spell something and it just won't come out of my hand. But that is such a small price to pay for happiness. I could rave about ECT all day, but I'll just say- definitely look into it. It's a life changing experience. :)

did you have any long term memory loss http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroconvulsive_therapy#Effects_on_memory I foung this and there's a link to Utube in there I am really happy for you and at one time after going through a wide assortment of medications well until I seroquel and the effxor mix I thought that might be my next step I've hospitalized so many times I was getting so tired of everything I was at my wits end again I'm so glad youre doing well

anyone who is particularly fearful of memory loss should really try unilateral before bilateral if possible. it is considered possibly slightly less efficacious, but were I ever at that point I would try it first for my own peace of mind.

Anna

Did you go to Tompkins 1? If that still exists? My dad used to work there in the 60s and early 70s. But he never prescribed anyone ECT while there (but I know he did so later in his career).

Aren't you fascinated? It is just Yale/New Haven jumped out at me, since he worked there, and two of my sisters were born there.

I was 30 years old, but they had no beds on the adult ward, so I had to stay on the adolescent ward. Talk about added stress. The doctor felt that I should keep trying med combos, despite having been on all sorts of combos for 15 years. If anything, things have gotten dramatically worse, although I guess that's the nature of the illness. So, I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 50 and completely non-functioning before they finally give me ECT, and by then life is at least half over. It's frustrating to know that there are still effective treatments, but only if you're fortunate enough to get it "prescribed". BTW, I don't think it was an insurance thing because I have SSDI Medicare which covers just about everything. Any thoughts?

I was 30 years old, but they had no beds on the adult ward, so I had to stay on the adolescent ward. Talk about added stress. The doctor felt that I should keep trying med combos, despite having been on all sorts of combos for 15 years. If anything, things have gotten dramatically worse, although I guess that's the nature of the illness. So, I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 50 and completely non-functioning before they finally give me ECT, and by then life is at least half over. It's frustrating to know that there are still effective treatments, but only if you're fortunate enough to get it "prescribed". BTW, I don't think it was an insurance thing because I have SSDI Medicare which covers just about everything. Any thoughts?

No, you don't have to wait until you are in your 50s and completely non-functional before getting ECT. What you DO have to be is SICK ENOUGH TO WARRANT HAVING THEM. What makes you think ECT is an effective treatment? Yeah, it can help you some with your immediate symptoms but you are still very ill. You still have to spend weeks/months/years finding the correct meds. I can assure you it isn't an insurance thing. It is a treatment thing. If you are in the position of needing ECTs, they will be suggested. I hope you never get there.

Sylvan-

I've been in a mixed state for the better part of 6 months (this time around). I lost track of how many times I was hospitalized by the time I was 24 and that was 8 years ago. I've been in two state hospitals at 3 and 4 month clips with bipolar 1 mixed state episodes. I've also got more cuts and lacerations on my arms than I can count. I've been raped twice (one by a cop). I've survived two drug ODs.

I'm not sharing this for any other reason than to say:

What the fuck makes you think you know when ECT will be right for me? You shouldn't assume that you know best, because it's very clear to me that you don't know shit.

I didn't have the impression that it's only used as a last resort anymore.

Where did you get this information? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Well, I read for example, the ECT Task Force of the American Psychiatric Association, "As a major treatment in psychiatry with well-defined indications, ECT should not be reserved for use only as a 'last resort.'" American Psychiatric Association, 2000, quoted in Fink, Melancholia, Cambridge University Press 2006

I didn't have the impression that it's only used as a last resort anymore.

Where did you get this information? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Well, I read for example, the ECT Task Force of the American Psychiatric Association, "As a major treatment in psychiatry with well-defined indications, ECT should not be reserved for use only as a 'last resort.'" American Psychiatric Association, 2000, quoted in Fink, Melancholia, Cambridge University Press 2006

That was ten years ago though. So... IDK. Everyone I've known who's had it very much seemed to see it as a last resort. And it does carry risks of memory loss, which can be pretty severe. So it makes sense that it would be a last resort.

Archived