CrazyBoards.org

anti-psychiatry existence of mental illness

hi. i was diagnosed with schizophrenia and something has been very disheartening to me. i stumbled upon articles by anti-psychiatrists on the internet which claim that mental illness doesnt exist. now this at the moment is offensive to me, cus it makes me think that my delusions were "bad behavior" and that the whole thing was my fault. but i dont know how to refute in my mind their arguments. one of their arguments is:

"People are thought of as mentally ill only when their thinking, emotions, or behavior is contrary to what is considered acceptable, that is, when others (or the so-called patients themselves) dislike something about them.

"

I mean how does one refute this? they argue that in the issue of schizophrenia, delusions are determined based on how far they deviate from a persons subculture, so therefore it is just deviations from culture standards.

So the alternative is to let our friends, family and members of society die or suffer because they are unable to function? NO!

Ignore these Anti-Psychiatry websites. Frankly, many of them are run by people with mental illness who refuse to admit that they are ill or accept treatment. Those who are not MI who advocate this nonsense do not understand the agony of being MI without relief.

You and I know how much medicines have improved our lives and how much our dedicated doctors and therapists mean to us.

Ignore these whackos. Science and medicine are proven to work and are prevailing against darkness and ignorance. :)

AirMarshall

When I believed that the police and others could know my thoughts and use them to find me guilty of thought crimes and when I watched swirling black hole portals to hell appear in my walls... I don't think these were a "deviation from cultural norms." They were examples of broken brain. Medication helps fix that, not blather from people who A. have never experienced anything close to a psychiatric problem, or B. are in denial about their own mental health issues.

The antipsychiatry people are long on opinion but short on facts. I wouldn't pay attention to their propaganda.

what air marshall and stacia said.

though, i think there's something in the culture norms argument, if for no reason other than I believe that religious belief is delusional, it just happens to be socially acceptable. I medicate away my delusions, some people get together and pray to theirs.

Refer them to SPECT imaging studies of brains with mental illness and those without. A trained professional looking at a SPECT can get a pretty good idea of what your condition is without knowing anything else about you. Have them argue that away. The schmucks.

I go with what works. When I take an antipsychotic, my psychosis mostly goes away. A lot of Szasz and others' original antipsychiatry writings came decades before the latest advances in brain science, so they are a bit behind the times to say the least

There are crackpots who advocate any and every position on the internet. You need to ignore the sites that disturb you. Before modern psychiatric medication mentally ill people might have been locked up in an institution.......for years. You could probably find many sites advising people NOT to treat cancer. To avoid oncology treatments to their illness. Would you do that if you had a curable cancer?

Lithium is one of the BEST things in my life.

mental illness has been proven in a number of cases to be a physical state of being. its not just emotional or psychological, it means that something is noticeably wrong in your brain. its not different from any other illness or disease and should be treated as such.

anyone who says otherwise is delusional, and should see a pdoc of their own. (or theyre just asshats, thats possible too)

thank you for the replies. i agree the medication argument is strong. i personally have experienced a near complete quelling of my symptoms after going on medication. does anyone know of any books that argues for the existence of schizophrenia or mental illness? i found one:

http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Mental-Illness-Martin-Roth/dp/0521337615

im hesistant to buy it as i want to see if there is a better book than this to buy

I haven't read it yet, my partner has, but The Origins of Conciousness in the Break Down of the Bicameral Mind talks about schizophrenia or hearing voices and the possibility that these voices etc are evolutionary holdover. It's an older book, and I'm not sure to what extent refuted, but it seems really interesting. I'm about to start reading it. It doesn't address all mental illness though, but it would give credence to the idea that MI is more than simply being outside of the social norm.

"People are thought of as mentally ill only when their thinking, emotions, or behavior is contrary to what is considered acceptable, that is, when others (or the so-called patients themselves) dislike something about them."

I mean how does one refute this?

There certainly is a cultural context to some mental illness. The norms of behavior are different between the U.S. and say, Japan.

However, to say that mental illness does not exist is easily refuted. The proponents of such ideas often seem to think that if it is observed in nature, then it is natural, and therefore cannot be a disease. The problem with this is that, say, a heart attack is completely natural, but it is undesirable effects on the individual.

This brings us, then, to what I think is the best affirmation that mental illness is "real" - the impact to the individual. It prevents normal, desirable life activities that the individual would like to do -- or causes the person in activities that are harmful to oneself. There is individual suffering. People with mental illness just aren't a bunch of unconventional beatniks who are looking for acceptance for their unique twist on life ("I gave a cop a flower and he beat me up. Love power!").

Two, mental illness often alters or interferes with normal organic processes of the body. For example: sleep, weight balance, wakefulness, psychomotor retardation, sensory alterations, etc.

Three, other diseases and conditions can cause mental illness. Infectious diseases, endocrine disorders, tumors, and more can all cause mental illness. Various drugs can induce mental illness.

Finally, let me close with a link to Robert Sapolsky (Stanford) lecturing on the disease of depression

Guest Vapourware

Re: cultural norms. Within both the DSM and ICD, there are caveats about whether someone's beliefs are in keeping with THEIR cultural norms. So, people are not going to be diagnosed with a mental illness because they happen to fall out of the majority's cultural beliefs. So, the sites that harp about how psychiatry wants people to maintain some sort of cultural "norm" are disingenuous.

I think a lot of the anti-psychiatry literature out there is also somewhat influenced by people like R.D. Laing. Some of Laing's writing is interesting and can be used in a variety of contexts, plus he did advocate treatment of MI, but some of his beliefs, IMO, might not be helpful. Like:

There is no such "condition" as "schizophrenia," but the label is a social fact and the social fact a political event.

I believe he also expressed the idea that schizophrenics "chose" to be psychotic.

I agree with the assessment that a lot of the anti-psychiatry movement are people who a) have little to no experience with actual MI and/or b) are MI and in denial. I remember reading up on quite a bit of this when I was batshit delusional and thinking my pdoc was out to kill me in order to maintain the status quo, heh. Now that I read back again on these sites, I realise what a crock of shit a bunch of them were spewing.

The Church of Scientology is gonna be your friend

When you can't get out of bed and you're so tired of pretending

The Church of Scientology is gonna save your soul

Cause L. Ron Hubbard is great and good but he's also made of wood

Believe in Scientology

I'm glad you are experiencing remittance of your symptoms due to medications, and I encourage you to stay on them. I usually prefer to use MY OWN personal experience for things, honestly. It's a lot easier. I KNOW I am BP I as fuck, and I meet classic DSM criteria for it. I've done plenty of research and believe in the dx, but the bottom line is, I take my meds, and they help me.

Provided I'm not being interfered with by life stressors (which has been fucking impossible at this point) I have also found klonopin w/d to be EASY. I got down from 2 m.g. to .5 mg in about 4 weeks, and it really wasn't that bad except for some extra emotionality. If I had read anti psychiatry websites I'm sure my mind would have manufactured something.

I am not sure what is in the crazystore re: schizophrenia, but you could check that out, there is a link to crazystore on this site. I'd suggest starting with any book that is clearly defined as a pro schiz book, and how to cope, and whatnot. Amazon usually lets you read a few pages that are scanned in, so that might be a good way to read the flavor of the book before you purchase.

Anna

Guest Vapourware

I believe he also expressed the idea that schizophrenics "chose" to be psychotic.

This, I find absurd. How can one choose something that they don't even know is happening to them?

I believe this stemmed from his belief that psychosis occurs as a way for a person to deal with their stress. So, in that regard, they "chose" that method as a coping mechanism.

thank you for the replies. i agree the medication argument is strong. i personally have experienced a near complete quelling of my symptoms after going on medication. does anyone know of any books that argues for the existence of schizophrenia or mental illness? i found one:

http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Mental-Illness-Martin-Roth/dp/0521337615

im hesistant to buy it as i want to see if there is a better book than this to buy

I don't know how good any of them are, but here is a list of some books on sz.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/media/

I found books on people that are doing well with sz encouraging. I've come across sites that discouraged medications, but I don't read them anymore. I am so much better with medication and I wasn't functional before. I remember how bad it was and don't want to go back. Keep reading here. There are people at all levels of wellness and we are trying to get better/stay well. Avoid those sites, they aren't helpful.

Archived