CrazyBoards.org

Any vitamin - ayurveda - homeopathy pill to help with side effects ?

Hello,

i am SZ and taking Risperdal for more than 17 years now.

I am going good as SZ matters but i want to ask whether there are any vitamins,ayurveda,homeopath etc. pills that help with the side effects caused by antipsychotics.

Does anyone has any experience from this ?

I also read that folic acid is good for the negative symptoms.

Is there any other substance good for SZ ?

Thanks and keep on keeping on !

Homeopathic stuff doesn't actually do anything. It's basically a substance that has been diluted to the point that it's inert.

As for herbal/natural remedies, what are side effects are you having trouble with?

The side effects is mainly being tired with hypotension and i want to take preventive care also for my liver.

Unless you have liver troubles, your liver is more than able to handle meds. There are a few meds that are hard on the liver and are noted as such in the PI.

You should have a liver function test a few times a year if you are on meds, better to get the results for this before you start treating a healthy liver.

nf

I'll second that statement by Notfred to just get your liver checked. After that, you could try NAC for your liver, there are a few other users on this forum that take that. And if you're tired with hypotension just drink some coffee or diet pepsi anything with caffeine. That's pretty much the only thing I cant hink of that can help you with energy.

The side effects is mainly being tired with hypotension and i want to take preventive care also for my liver.

Like it's been said, your liver should be able to handle meds just fine unless you already have a liver problem (like from drinking alcohol heavily for an extended period of time).

If you're tired, try some B-vitamins (you can get a blend pretty much anywhere that sells vitamins). I read somewhere (probably a quaky alt-health forum when I was into that sort of thing) that sublingual works better than pills for B-vitamins. Not sure if that's true or not, so take that with a grain of salt. You can get B-vitamin supplements in liquid form, so perhaps there is something to that.

Also, if you're not taking Omega-3 supplements, now might not be a bad time to start. They help improve mood, and it seems to be one of those things that researchers are thinking people might need for better brain functioning. You can get Omega-3 supplements in various forms, the most common being fish oil. You can also get algal oil, which is vegetarian-friendly.

The amino acid l-tyrosine can also boost energy. L-tyrosine is converted into various neurotransmitters that are related to increased energy and focus (norepinephrine, epinephrine, and dopamine).

Caffeine, of course, is a natural energy booster. As opposed to soda or caffeine tablets, you can drink coffee, green tea, or yerba mate. All three of those things have antioxidants in addition to the caffeine, which is healthy and all that. Green tea, though it has less caffeine than coffee, has a chemical in it that is associated with increased energy - which is probably why you can buy green tea supplements. Yerba mate has various compounds in it that are related boosting energy as well, though it has less caffeine than coffee. I like yerba mate personally - you can buy it in different flavors like you can tea. You'll probably be able to find yerba mate at a Latin American grocery store on the cheap, or you can visit a health food store if you don't have a Latin American grocery nearby.

Here's a blurb on supplements from WebMD - http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/energy-boosters-can-supplements-and-vitamins-help?page=1

Check out the CrazyStore. There's a mix of supplements in there, and whatever you buy helps the site.

Thank you guys for your replies.

What is exactly NAC ? And regarding to l-tyrosine if that becomes dopamine won't it worsen my psychosis which is dopamine related ?

I am taking a good multivitamin, vitamin C tablets and omega supplements.

I also used to take Chromium.

Also i am not so sure but i think that probiotics are very good. I recently read that they are related to your mood and anxiety !!

And really i remember that while i was taking probiotics i felt very good. Might try it again.

Also i read that folic acid helps with negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Anybody that knows more ?

Thanks !

Something more :

i feel like i am drunk with Risperdal. Always sleepy and not focus and my attention is not ok.

Also is there something for akathisia - feeling nervous ? Before i took Risperdal i was not so nervous. Now i am a little bit nervous.

Thanks !

L-tyrosine is an amino acid that occurs naturally in the body. The dopamine hypothesis is a hypothesis - no one really knows if dopamine has anything to do with Schizophrenia. L-tyrosine may turn out to be fine, but it may make you feel worse. No telling. Honestly, I took the stuff and I didn't notice a difference, but some people swear by it.

Are you taking a benzodiazepine? That could help with the nervousness. If it is akathesia, they do have meds to counteract it. Ask your doc.

If you're sleepy a lot, caffeine might be the best option. Don't overdo it, of course, but some extra caffeine during the day could be helpful.

What is exactly NAC ? And regarding to l-tyrosine if that becomes dopamine won't it worsen my psychosis which is dopamine related ?

Thanks !

refer to this thread:

NAC -it basically detoxes the liver, and I believe the claims are that it can detox and clear out the lungs, as it is used in a lot of respiratory formulas.

Thanks !

refer to this thread:

NAC -it basically detoxes the liver, and I believe the claims are that it can detox and clear out the lungs, as it is used in a lot of respiratory formulas.

I've never heard of those NAC benefits. Do you have sources on respiratory action?

Thanks !

BE CAREFUL WITH TYROSINE. It can be VERY activating. A week of that tossed me into a terrible mixed state which took weeks, weeks to stabilize with Seroquel. My Pdoc has had other patient with a similar adverse reaction to Tyrosine. caution

I will never take it again. It is strong stuff.

You should be under the care of a good ND or your Pdoc before trying that supplement.

stacia:

"I've never heard of those NAC benefits. Do you have sources on respiratory action?"

I knew someone was gonna say that. here

I was just talking about claims of it doing that. Not like solid proof, herbs and supplements aren't proven. I know i sounded like a jackass, because i backed up my claims with saying oh "it's used in a lot of respiratory formulas." that was clearly a dumb statement, but that was just the claim made about the supplement.

"sorry about the quote thing, it got screwed up in editing"

Archived