CrazyBoards.org

Does anybody have any suggestions for a birth control that won't make me fat and depressed? Is there a specific pill that works well for people with bipolar disorder? Do I need to aggressively up my doses in order to combat the depression from birth control?

I've tried Yaz and Lutera. Yaz raised my blood pressure like crazy, I was on it for a week and I wanted to choke people on the street. I gave Lutera a good shot but after three months I gave up, the depression was terrible and I was gaining a lot of weight.

I have to find a solution for my acne. When I was on Lutera my acne disappeared but now it's creeping back so I'm getting kind of desperate. My doctor prescribed me Ortho Tri-Cyclen but I haven't picked it up yet. Is that a good one?

For the last couple of months I've been taking d-chiro-inositol but I'm not sure if it's effective for my acne. Has anybody else tried this?

Also, would it be worth my time to visit an endocrinologist? I hate that the solution for PCOS is birth control, there has to be a better way.

Thanks!

Weight loss and eating a low carb diet seems to be helpful for PCOS.

If your moods are sensitive to hormonal birth control, there's not a lot you can do but try a few and see if you can find one that you can tolerate.

For acne, I'd go see a dermatologist. I've never seen anything over the counter work as well as what the dermatologist has in his/her arsenal.

Weight loss and eating a low carb diet seems to be helpful for PCOS.

If your moods are sensitive to hormonal birth control, there's not a lot you can do but try a few and see if you can find one that you can tolerate.

For acne, I'd go see a dermatologist. I've never seen anything over the counter work as well as what the dermatologist has in his/her arsenal.

The dermatologist wasn't really able to help me, even he said that it's all related to my hormones. I guess I need to up my doses and just take birth control.

I'm trying to exercise more and eat even better but it's never enough.

Go to another dermatologist. Even if it's related to your hormones, it's treatable. That's why they give acne meds to kids in puberty-- they still WORK no matter what's causing the acne. Seek a second opinion.

The key to losing with PCOS is low or no carb. I'm not an expert by any means on the subject, but we do have some members that I know will be able to offer you some better advice.

But I really do think you have some options other than birth control pills if you just can't tolerate them.

Go to another dermatologist. Even if it's related to your hormones, it's treatable. That's why they give acne meds to kids in puberty-- they still WORK no matter what's causing the acne. Seek a second opinion.

The key to losing with PCOS is low or no carb. I'm not an expert by any means on the subject, but we do have some members that I know will be able to offer you some better advice.

But I really do think you have some options other than birth control pills if you just can't tolerate them.

OK, I'll try a different one. I never even thought about getting a second opinion but that makes the most sense.

Guest Recluse

For PCOS, you'll find that working out is one of the only real reliefs without use of Birth Control. So far, eating low carb and working out regularly is the only thing that has tamed my moods, made my skin stop breaking out as much, helped me lose weight or made my periods regular.

Check out a few of the other threads on PCOS here for further information, including this one:

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/47009-poly-cystic-ovarian-syndrome/

For PCOS, you'll find that working out is one of the only real reliefs without use of Birth Control. So far, eating low carb and working out regularly is the only thing that has tamed my moods, made my skin stop breaking out as much, helped me lose weight or made my periods regular.

Check out a few of the other threads on PCOS here for further information, including this one:

http://www.crazyboar...arian-syndrome/

Gah. OK with the low carb. I read through all the PCOS stuff when I was on birth contro but I was too depressed to take care of myself. Now this all seems much more possible. I'm switching my diet to foods that are low on the glycemic index.

Yes, low or no carb works. I am convinced I had pcos when I was 45 lbs heavier, had no periods for 2 years..... then magically, they returned with weight loss and exercise. regular exercise, even when I don't want to. And trying not to get too fat.

I need to visit my OBGYN though, as things are weird currently... now I cannot STOP bleeding. sigh. It's very confusing.

However, that said, prior to some major med changes I'm going through, I had regular, normal periods and no sx, on the carbohydrate addict's diet and doing yoga 5 times a week.

There are other solutions.... my ob/gyn suggested progesterone pills every 3 months and prescribed that, in case sx came back. He did test me for pcos and it came back neg, so I don't know if it was a med doing it or what, but I certainly had some sx of PCOS. Eh, whatever. HIs point was, he could NOT legally prescribe me BC (which I did not want, anyway) due to my age and smoking, so that was the solution for me.

I use retin-A for my acne and it works fairly well. Didn't even need derm, my gdoc prescribed it. Even if it is hormonal though, the right derm should be able to help you.

I feel shitty on all BC so I can't really help you there.

Anna

Yes, low or no carb works. I am convinced I had pcos when I was 45 lbs heavier, had no periods for 2 years..... then magically, they returned with weight loss and exercise. regular exercise, even when I don't want to. And trying not to get too fat.

I need to visit my OBGYN though, as things are weird currently... now I cannot STOP bleeding. sigh. It's very confusing.

However, that said, prior to some major med changes I'm going through, I had regular, normal periods and no sx, on the carbohydrate addict's diet and doing yoga 5 times a week.

There are other solutions.... my ob/gyn suggested progesterone pills every 3 months and prescribed that, in case sx came back. He did test me for pcos and it came back neg, so I don't know if it was a med doing it or what, but I certainly had some sx of PCOS. Eh, whatever. HIs point was, he could NOT legally prescribe me BC (which I did not want, anyway) due to my age and smoking, so that was the solution for me.

I use retin-A for my acne and it works fairly well. Didn't even need derm, my gdoc prescribed it. Even if it is hormonal though, the right derm should be able to help you.

I feel shitty on all BC so I can't really help you there.

Anna

He can't legally prescribe you birth control because of your age and smoking? I've never heard of that, how weird.

Does Retin-A work for cystic acne?

I really think it's true that just five pounds can make a big difference. When I was 125lbs I didn't have half the problems, just a little acne. Once I tipped over 130 all of the PCOS stuff flared up. Now I'm 135 so I really need to cut the carbs. I've been getting up at six every morning to work out, this is the first time I've ever done that. I can actually do it!

In AZ, apparently, there is a rule against hormonal b.c. if you are over a certain age and smoke, due to the risk of heart attacks, clots, and other things. I think it's a good rule, personally. the research is quite alarming in fact, it's a high percentage.

i don't know what would work well for cystic acne, not sure retin a would be enough. You need to see a derm who can help you.

Anna

Retin-A does help cystic acne. A course of accutane is usually the best bet with that, but that's something you'd have to go over with your doctors as it can cause depression (maybe) and you absolutely cannot get pregnant on it. It also requires a lot of blood tests. The good news is that it works. One or two courses will usually last for years, if not the rest of your life.

This is why you need to see a dermatologist willing to actually treat you.

I'm on ortho tri cyclen....

I supposedly have PCOS, and I'm also bipolar. I've had the most success with ortho tri cyclen. I've only been on yaz and loestrine (sp?) in the past so I'm not sure if my opinion holds any merit. I wouldn't switch to a different oral contraceptive for anything. Just my personal opinion.

Cleared up my acne (although I only had a mild case of it), actually caused me to have a period, and have it regularly. Brought my testosterone levels within normal range. I'm on spironolactone for excessive hair growth.

Archived