CrazyBoards.org

Was prescribed Ambien by my sleep doctor for recurrent insomnia (waking up every hour after falling asleep like clockwork, ultimately resulting in me waking up 7-8 times a night and obliterating any possibility of decent sleep). Months of lack of sleep has propelled me into some mild hypomanic states ("hey everyone!! i haven't slept in four days and i'm functioning great although i'm slightly delirious, how COOL am I?!?!! wanna go shopping?! by the way i love you!!!") and also periods of irritation and almost psychotic paranoia. Just... ick. My anxiety at night was through the roof and no benzo really helped. Not even 500 mg seroquel makes a dent. But then....

Anyway, was prescribed ambien to get some decent sleep. The first time I took the dose, it took a while for it to hit, but then all of a sudden I was positive that my bed was a welcoming flower and my bedroom was a forest. I somehow made it across the room from my desk to my bed and lay in groggy euphoria thinking about how much I felt like a fairy. But.. it did get me some decent sleep!

Any similar reactions with ambien? This stuff is way stronger than I'd foolishly assumed...

my first couple nights on ambien were apparently filled with wild hallucinations of the ... well im honestly not going to go into that. lets just say it was very embarrassing to wake up with 50 text messages and 3 hours worth of phone calls to explain.

I love ambien. I'm in between refills right now.

I took temazepam for a while. it worked but I was tired the next morning. and having trouble getting to sleep, and then trouble waking up in the morning is my problem.

ambien knocks me cold in about a half hour. I take it in bed with a book to read. I wake up all right on it. better than without.

I freaking love ambien.

Ambien works well for me, and I've never had the weird semi-hallucinations that are caused by this med at times. I do recommend that one GET in bed after taking it, as I always do, and not leave, no matter what.

If the hallucinatory stuff persists, there are other sleep med options. The problem with ambien is that in some people, they do weird ambien related stuff, such as sleep driving and whatnot. The weird hallucinatory experiences s are a sign that this may happen, if one is not careful. So your doc may wish to switch you to something else, depending. If you can just make it to bed and not DO anything weird, you should probably be fine. If e you start doing weird stuff, then it is time to worry. But I would still mention to pdoc, he may be more comfortable with something like lunesta, or something else.

I love ambien, btw. Right now, I need something stronger, but eh, when I'm not episodic too bad, it's a great med for me.

Anna

Not even remotely similar to yours, but I've had hallucinations and paranoia while on ambien. They gave it to me while in the psych hospital because I wasn't sleeping, and the first night I took it was the last lol. It made me very very tired but I couldn't fall asleep, and so I sat up all night, scared as fuck because there was a man that kept coming into my room to give me love letters (I thought it was one of the other patients there who had taken a "liking" to me - wish they hadn't had a combined male and female ward.) It was like every fifteen minutes he would show up opening my door and shuffling paper around, all through the night! Also got a baaaad headache. Never again!

Your experience sounds very interesting, wish mine had been more like that haha, glad you got some sleep on the ambien! :)

I've been taking Ambien for about 2 years and love it. Good sleep is critical for me to keep my mood normal.

When the pdoc prescribed it he told me that it hits very quickly, like 15 to 30 minutes, and to take it only when I am actually in bed, and not at 'bedtime', which often means you're getting ready for bed, checking one last thing online, brushing your teeth, or whatever. But you need to have done all those tasks and be in bed before you take it.

I think if you work with it and not against it, and take it in bed, (and don't get back up), it will do the best job for you and reduce the chance of you doing strange stuff you don't remember. Of course, there are those who do get back up after they're asleep and do strange things, but that's much less likely than getting some good sleep.

I had some weird stuff happen when I took Ambien too. Mostly, I wouldn't remember anything that happened for like 30 minutes or so before I took it up until I woke up in the morning. I would have conversations with my family, watch tv/movie, etc and have no memory of it the next day. I think it's best if you take it and get in bed and go to sleep right after taking it.

Hi,

My experience with ambien was horrid. After the first night I learned I needed to be in bed in the position I wanted to sleep when I took the pill because it kicked my ass to sleep.

Waking up was extremely difficult even after 7-8 hrs of sleep.

The worst I think was that my vision was shot to hell most of the day. At the time I was working a full time job with a big commute so this was not pleasant. And the visual disturbances I would have in darker areas regardless of time were quite scary. Not hallucinating but seeing real objects as different than reality.

db

The prescribing information on ambien recommends taking it "immediately before bedtime." That means IMMEDIATE. That means no doing stuff after you take it. I will read, sometimes, in bed, but that is about it.

Ambien prescribing info also specifically notes strange reactions may occur and recommends immediate cessation should these adverse effects occur.

So basically, if ambien is making you do weird stuff, stop it immediately. I know people that don't (I guess they like to live dangerously) but there are plenty of other effective sleep meds out there.

Anna

Saoirse, are you taking the 5 mg, the 10 mg, or the 12.5 mgs XR version? If you're on the XR for Pete's sake don't cut the thing in half, but maybe a smaller dose would work better for you.

Ambien is the only sleep med that's ever worked for me, but I do have to take it right AT bedtime.

oh yeah- I always keep some crackers by the bed and water. I once found my kitchen just destroyed- usually it is the "ambien munchies" that get me out of bed so if there is a snack on the night stand I stay in bed more reliably.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend reports hallucinations from Sonata, another "z-drug." But she's in bed when she takes it, and they don't really bother her. Then she falls asleep.

I take Ambien on occasion, but it doesn't give me hallucinations, sleep walking, sleep eating, or any of that other "fun" stuff. But if I get up to pee after taking it, my coordination is shot, and I walk into furniture, etc.

• 2 months later...

I have used it for humm about a year and I've no complaints. The instant release stuff didn't work because after a couple of hours it wore off and I woke up. The extended release stuff 12.5 mg really does the trick. No sleep driving, eating at least that I know about ;-) I think its a good med if you need it.

I'm with Humanoid.. the first time I took it was the last. I was in the psych ward, couldn't sleep, and my pdoc hadn't ordered anything for me so they talked with the on-call doctor and that's what they gave me. I took it, and spent the whole night awake in terror because I saw a doctor pulling a Hannibal Lector with my roommate. I was freaked. They tried to give it to me again the next night and I refused. I told them I'd rather not sleep at all if the Ambien was going to do that. Now I'm on restoril, and it's pretty hit or miss, but still preferable to the potential Ambien high.

I used ambien intermittently for a long time but have been moved up to ristoril which is a bit annoying (it did head off a hospitalization probably) but coming off that stuff..... gonna be hard. Never got weird effects from it, however, thankfully.

Anna

I already have issues with sleep talking. Tried Ambien a couple of days. I felt like I slept pretty good. DH said I said a few things. Not so nice, but he wouldn't say what. Just said to drop it. So I didn't take it for another week, plus. Took it another night or two and got up one morning. I got nasty looks. Turns out I said some downright mean things. Which is so not okay with me, since I'm already working on my relationship and getting him to understand that "No, sleep talking is NOT true subconscious feelings/thoughts (meaning truth.)" So, after he went in and was pee'ing... I walked in and chucking them into the toilet. Startled him.

Hey... I don't care if they help me sleep or not. I'd rather toss and turn instead of turning into a raging monster.

Turns out we're finding out that instead of ADD being some of my issue with shutting my brain off at night, some of my anxiety issues might be the problem. Therefore my Wellbutrin and Topamax are likely triggers to ramp that up. So Med. therapist is titering me up onto Seroquel to stabilize me and then going to bring me down to real low doses of those or off. Joy of joys... my favorite... it's the med changing party again. :goofy:

But hey, whatever works....

Archived