CrazyBoards.org

are any of you guys happy with your meds?

im on geodon 40mg, effexor 150mg (weening off), wellbutrin 300mg and im feeling really happy but as the geodon wears off, like at around 7pm i get super anxious irritable and very moody. i feel like im at 80% of where i want to be but at least thats more than 3/4 there... the only thing im wondering is if there is a drug that lasts longer than geodon but doesnt make me too sleepy or gain too much weight. i tried seroquel(sedated), abilify(anxious and constipated though i did lose weight fast), risperdal(hungry every second of the day) but havent tried zydis or saphris. im only 20 and my doc wont prescribe me zydis or saphris without my parents permission and they say no and if i see a new doc they wont pay for it :(

Yep, I'm pretty much happy with my meds (see signature). I have to watch my diet carefully due to the potential of Seroquel causing weight gain which creeps up on me very quickly if I'm not careful!! I'm in a very good place at the moment and am only on 3 psychiatric medications. There have been times in the recent past where I've been taking up to 7 different meds and not stable. In the past year I've spent a lot of time in the hospital....6 months in total actually but now finally feel very well. The lithium, seroquel xr and prozac have hit the spot :rolleyes: .

Have you asked your parents the reason they are saying no about trying new drugs? You may be able to avoid geodon anxiety by splitting dosages even more, provided it doesn't make you sleepy. Due to short half life, I do know people who take it 3x per day to avoid coverage issues..... but only if does not send them into lala land. Heh. you could ask your doc if otherwise the geodon is working well.

I was on saphris for a while, but found it too activating for me than the more sedating AAPs. I didn't notice more hunger or any sedation at all, on it, so it might be worth a shot. I did gain weight while on it, but I was kind of cycling through the AAPs in a desperate attempt for restabilizing following zoloft d/c hell.... not so good for me. so I was also on Zyprexa and I blame most of the weight gain on that.

A caveat on zydis, while it does not make everyone starving hungry, it does me. It really doesn't matter what format I take zyprexa in, I will eat the fridge. That said, zydis does work for some people with less sedation and hunger involved, so it is worth a shot.

I personally would try saphris first. Are your parents afraid of new drugs, instability, or something else? Perhaps you could take them to a pdoc app't with you and develop a rescue med plan in case you do destabilize and they might be more understanding? IDK.

I'd still try to work out the short half life issue with geodon first, if it is working well for you.

I'm also confused at your doctor refusing to prescribe meds without parental permission, have you discussed this with him and do your parents have guardianship over you in any way due to MI? Otherwise, I'd be advocating for myself with the doctor, and indicating that he does not have the right to demand parental permission. depending on your state, there are usually mental health orgs that can help you with rights issues, I used one to get me out of hospital of Doom to state hospital, when it was steadily making me worse due to a bad doctor. They were extremely helpful, organized, together, and respected my wishes entirely. I'm really glad they were available to advocate for me. Might be worth checking into, for backup support. You are over 18 so should be able to make full decisions regarding your mental illness care, without parental consent, so they may be able to come to an appointment with you and talk sternly to your doc about MH rights, and such.

Anna

ETA: I am very happy with my current meds though I want to ditch some of them soon... as I restabilize. Risperdal is a godsend for me, as is depakote. My sig is not accurate, heh, I should probably go change that, like, right now.

Guest Vapourware

I'm also surprised that your pdoc requires your parent's permission? At 20, wouldn't you be considered an adult and therefore can determine your own services?

40mg sounds like a fairly low dose of ziprasidone? I don't know what you are using it for, though. I was one of the lucky ones who were happy with 1x daily dosage - for whatever reason, despite ziprasidone's short half-life, it still did a great job of controlling my symptoms. I did try splitting it once though, not because of any coverage issues but because of sedation issues, and that didn't help.

Personally, I'm pretty happy with my meds. Or, med. I'm really lucky to be stable enough that I can handle just being on a mood stabiliser, even though most people with my dx [see: signature] would be on at least two meds.

Yeah, I'm also having a problem with how your parents could have any say over what meds the doctor prescribes because you are over 18.

I'm not happy at all with my meds. I don't feel like they do anything for me. The only med for sure I can say works is carbamazepine. Have you asked about Latuda? It's supposed to be less sedating, and a good AAP with a very benign metabolic profile.

I currently am unhappy with my med combo. My morning meds make me so sleepy that I can barely function. The lithium makes me feel so lifeless that I don't even see the point of doing anything. I accidentally lost my bottle of lithium and since I stopped takingit I've felt more alive yet stable enough to get by each day. Even after cutting down my geodon to only 2 times a day. I wanted to talk to my pdoc about this yesterday but she cancelled on me now I can't see her until october 25th.

Do you only take Geodon once per day? I had to take mine twice per day to get full coverage. If it's working well for you up until it wears off, it seems like splitting up your doses might be something worthwhile to try. I've only taken Zydis as an emergency med and while it doesn't make me hungry, it totally knocks me out (and I only take either 2.5 or 5 mg).

I'm pretty happy with my meds, though I have problems from time to time. They help me sleep at night and I haven't really gained any weight on them (though I haven't lost either). I also think it's very strange that your pdoc won't prescribe meds without your parents consent...you're an adult. Why will your parents not let you take anything else if your current meds aren't working well enough for you?

I take Geodon, too, and I'm having trouble with the short half-life. Same withdrawal symptoms you're experiencing. If Geodon is working, dividing the dose or taking a benzo when the irritability sets in could help a lot. I can't divide my dose up unless I want to pass out around three hours after I take it. I'll be looking into Risperdal or Saphris next week.

I don't get the whole doctor wanting your parents' permission thing, either. Unless they have legal guardianship over you, there is no reason to be getting permission from them to do a whole lot of anything medically-related, regardless of whether or not you're on their insurance.

I am very happy with my current meds, listed in my signature if you want to know what they are. Currently I am very stable and doing great so I think I found my wonder combination, the abilify has been really amazing for me. I find it funny (well not funny, but you know) that you mentioned getting constipated on abilify, I have that problem as well but never saw anyone mention it before. I managed to take care of that by cutting meat out of my diet, though.

I tried saprhis for a little while, it made me sleepy as hell and gave me brain zaps constantly. Hopefully you'll be able to try it at some point.

I'd be interested to know why, as well, you aren't allowed without your parent's permission to be prescribed new drugs.

ive been seeing the doc since i was 12 and im not really sure why he says i need my parents permission, i guess because they are paying for my education, insurance and clothes. my parents say that unless im on a medication for a really long time i wont get better so they want me to still take the same meds although i did convince them to let me get off zoloft bc it was making me crazy, and have replaced it with wellbutrin so im feeling amazingly happy before the evening comes. lifes not terrible now but feeling like crap during the evening is holding me back from fully living symptom free like i did during high school.

ive been seeing the doc since i was 12 and im not really sure why he says i need my parents permission, i guess because they are paying for my education, insurance and clothes. my parents say that unless im on a medication for a really long time i wont get better so they want me to still take the same meds although i did convince them to let me get off zoloft bc it was making me crazy, and have replaced it with wellbutrin so im feeling amazingly happy before the evening comes. lifes not terrible now but feeling like crap during the evening is holding me back from fully living symptom free like i did during high school.

Yeah I took geodon earlier this year. To lose weight. I also experienced what you have experienced which is during the morning and afternoon I feel great. Then when that sun starts coming down during the evening my mood completely crashes. I seem to have some psychosis related to severe depression and started getting delusional thoughts late at night. I'm not sure what they can do for that daily late night crash. I stopped it after I ended up in the hospital. When I was on risperdal the drug seemed to have allowed me to go 24 hours at min without feeling any crash. Stopped that cause of weight gain and i'm now on latuda. With this drug I also experienced that late night crash but it wasn't as severe and have switched to taking it in the mornings which has seemed to alleviate the late night symptoms.

I'm good with my current cocktail, I think, wouldn't say "happy" is the right word. They work well enough--and that's all I ask.

I'm gonna be blunt, cuz that's what I'm paid for (well, if i were paid...).

Your parents are idiots and your doc's a wuss.

Your doc has ONE goal: make you better. You're the patient. Consider: if he was your gp, and you needed an antibiotic, and your parents said no...? He needs to do what's right by you. Period.

Your parents shouls have one goal. For you to be better. They sound ignorant. They're not doctors; they have no business making medical decisions for you. If they give a flying fuck about how you feel, they'll let you and your pdoc figure shit out. Period.

Best thing to do is have a conversation with your parents. Tough, I know, especially when they hold the purse strings--been there. But, at least, my parents always realized that I knew best about my medical decisions. They are, after all, not living in my body, so they leave that shit up to me.

Ok, so, your parents aren't paying your doctor. Your insurance coverage is paying your doctor. You are legally an adult. It's entirely inappropriate for your doctor to be discussing your treatment with your parents at all. Unless since turning 18, you've signed a release specifically allowing him to do so, it's a HIPPA violation. If you did sign such a release, I believe you can at any time change your mind, and hold him accountable to the federally mandated confidentiality to which you're entitled. It doesn't matter what your parents are paying for. He's your doctor. You're an adult. Case closed.

Honestly, if you've been seeing him since you were twelve, I'd assume his specialty is child/adolescent pscyh. Your very well might be better off changing doctors regardless of confidentiality issues.

If you stop seeing him, your insurance will cover whatever doctor you choose to see, as long as she's in network or whatever. If you stop seeing him, it's a HIPPA violation for him to tell your parents you've stopped seeing him. If you start seeing a new doctor, it's a HIPPA violation for her to tell your parents you're seeing her. I'm pretty sure that even though your insurance coverage is through your parents, the insurance company can't give your parents information about any treatment you're receiving unless you sign a release. Confidentiality laws around all medical treatment, but especially mental health are very clear. Other than yours, I can't remember ever hearing about a doctor who was willing to even try to bend the rules. They can lose their licenses and shit.

I think, rather than trying to get your parents to give you permission to do something that's absolutely none of their business, you should talk to your doctor about why he's violating federal privacy laws. If he's unwilling to treat you with more respect, I'd get your records from him, and report the HIPPA violation to his licensure board. You also have the option of suing him for malpractice. He might not want to give you your records, btw, but he has to. Personally, I'd want him to give them to me immediately, before he has an opportunity to try to alter any records he may have kept of violating confidentiality by talking to your parents about your treatment.

Then, I'd call your insurance company, and find out what their requirements are as far as doctors being in network. They should be able to give you a list of doctors you take your insurance in your area. And ask them about whatever concerns you have about their notifying your parents of any changes. You probably also have access to care through your school's health services. Sometimes that's great, and sometimes it sucks, but it's an option.

Oh, and to answer your actual question, I'm happy with my meds at this point. I'm taking 500mg seroquel - that one goes up and down as needed, 300mg gabapentin, which is maybe somewhat stabilizing, but is mostly just to help with sleep, 375mg, I think, of effexor xr, 450mg of wellbutrin XR, which is really for smoking cessation and weight loss, it's never seemed to have much impact on my mood, at any dosage, and 60 mg dexedrine ER, for the ADHD.

You need to tell your doctor that you understand the HIPPA confidentiality law and that you can make your own decisions regarding your medication treatments without your parent's say-so. I would suggest you see a different doctor, but if your parents pay your copays, this might be difficult.

It doesn't matter if your parents paid for everything you have, your health care is your own business once you turn 18.

40 mg of geodon is a pretty low dose. I was up to 160 mg (80 twice daily) before I quit due to sedation issues. The feeling you are experiencing is likely, as the other posters have stated, your mood as the geodon wears off.

I'm fairly happy with the medications I'm on now. Getting off lithium and starting depakote ER was a big change for me, and it has been pretty successful so far. other than a few "down days", I have been pretty mood stable for about 4 months. Which is a large improvement of the previous "every other month" cycle I did have.

My meds seem to be working well, so I'm pretty happy with them. I am fatigued a lot, though, and I think it's because of the meds so I don't like that part.

I agree with the other posters that you have rights to privacy and your pdoc shouldn't need your parents permission. I understand the benefits on staying on the same cocktail, my pdoc wants me to do that, to maintain stability, but that's once you are on a cocktail that is working well.

Are you under a conservatorship? You would know if you are. That's the only reason I can think where the rules might be different.

I am very happy with my meds (listed below). They have made a tremendous difference in how I live my life. Is everything going perfect MI-wise? NO, but so much better that "happy" is the only word I can apply to my meds.

Tommy

I'm really lucky it didn't take me long to find a combination of meds that work. I tried a few different AAPs, and had a serious allergic reaction to Geodon. That was super unpleasant, and since they were super activating, my doctor started me on lithium. Lithum has made such a huge difference, and I can say I'm really happy with it. It hasn't given me any side effects, maybe couple of pounds gained in the seven months I've been taking it. When I remember to take everything consistently, these meds keep everything under control really well for me! So, yes, happy with them! :)

I'm glad that I'm not horribly sad anymore (still get some sadness). I'm glad I can be more calm, less angry. But I'm not what you would call "happy." More "neutral" emotionally. So I like it so far, but it feels not quite dialed in. Plus I don't have much stress on me at the moment and I'm a little scared that the meds aren't working all that much but that I just don't have many triggers at the moment.

But also, I'm realizing I have all manner of anxieties that I just ignored or labeled as something else, and I don't sleep well, if at all. I'm not sure what to do, or can be done, about those. I'm hoping something will help. Then, maybe happiness.

I'm really happy with my med combo. I'm on topamax 100mg wellbution 450mg and abilify 20 mg and then ativan, seroquel, and melatonin prn. I tried saphris and really disliked it. It has an absolutely horrible taste and I feel so disoriented and bizarre after taking it that I decided that I couldn't deal with it. I see you've tried abilify and you're on wellbutrion (Which didn't work for me until I hit 450) but you might want to ask your pdoc about topamax. It's actually an anticonvulsant, doesn't cause weight gain (I've actually lost a lot), and seems to really work for me. Also, do you have any prns? When I get anxious I take an ativan and it just chills me out- I can still function, I'm just a calmer version of myself. I don't take it very often but when I do it really works. Something to think about. Good luck with everything and I hope it all turns out alright!

Archived