CrazyBoards.org

Whenever I see my pdoc he'll tell me to move out my hand so that he can assess the shakiness. I assume that this is just a way of recording anxiety or something. Out of curiosity is there some sort of shakiness scale that pdocs use that helps tell them stuff? I know that its a weird question to ask on the forum but my pdoc could just ask me how anxious I am and have been. Does the shakiness tell them other things?

Actually, given that you are on seroquel, he may actually be measuring you for Tardive diskinesia. My doc did that, including sticking out the tongue..... He was assessing involuntary muscle movements that sometimes occur with AAP useage, and my test was holding out my hands to assess whether I could keep them still, or if my tongue was moving involuntarily.

That would be my guess, but why don't you ask him?

Anna

Anna's right, docs do this to look for med side-effects. my old doc would ask me to extend my hands to see if there was significant shaking from my thyroid level, now it's a measure of lamotrigine SEs for me. i think when docs are looking to measure your anxiety, there are lots of other highly visible cues (i know sometimes i can be superanxious but can keep my hands steady)(not today, but sometimes).

• 4 weeks later...

Depakote gave me a big tremor. When I was on it with Lamictal, it was insanely bad, things fell out of my hands all the time. But now that I have stopped the Depakote, the Lamictal tremor only happens when I am tired. But anyway, my pdoc and neuro always ask me to put my hands out to see how steady they are.

Archived