CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
squirmy

religion and psychiatry

I just wanted to point out that by having a third person there outside of the therapeutic relationship, you are jeopardizing your confidential relationship with your therapist. Nothing you say in front of your minister is going to be privileged, and it may actually make some other unrelated information accessible, because it casts doubt on the "exclusiveness" of the relationship.

I don't think this guy is cut out to be a minister. Dunno, maybe it's the Catholic in me, but confidential stuff, well, it's you going to him, and if he doesn't get that, then he's not cut out for this shit. If he wasn't taught that, then my veiw on other faiths takes another hit. Or, he just doesn't care.

Whatever. He may just be overeager to help. If he left a cushy life for God, then maybe he is trying to do every little thing he can--which can be dangerous in unintentional ways. Nip this one in the bud. I know how hard it can be to say no, but like Nancy said, "just say no".

I grew up Catholic, with the religious ceremony of confession, where you purge you hidden wrongdoings and the priest listened, gave you penance, and never said a word about it outside the confessional.

In other words, would he let you sit in on a confession to observe him listen to people's darkest secrets? Hell no! So he should understand why you want your confidentiality kept in check as well.