CrazyBoards.org

Took first dose of Seroquel XR 50 mg last night

For folks that have used/tried both Seroquel IR and XR  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which did you prefer and/or worked better? Please comment as to why in the thread!

• Seroquel IR
    • Seroquel XR

Well, first dose and some questions/confusion--

Took my first 50mg Seroquel XR about 8 PM last night, then took my other PM meds at the usual time 10 PM. At around 9:30 PM, I was starting to feel the effects of the S. Strangely, it was nothing like I expected. I was expecting to feel a strong (or at least a medium strong) sedative effect; but, instead, felt a slight stimulative effect, which I thought VERY odd, and not even the slightest feeling of drowsiness. After taking my PM meds (30mg Remeron, 1mg Klonopin, 5mg Bystolic) at 10 PM, by 11 PM I did start to feel the usual affect of those (which DEFINITELY is sedation and drowsiness), so I fell asleep around 11:30 PM, as usual.

Woke at 7-7:30 AM (as usual), but didn't feel as rested (like didn't get deep sleep, felt like I had slept lighter), also felt a little unusual in that I was not groggy and sedated as I was expecting---I actually felt (again as before bed) slightly stimulated, but at the same time a slight and unusual feeling of calmness, and a smidge less depressed and anxious than usual, and more ready than usual to get up and get moving. Felt a SLIGHT dizziness upon arising, which continued on and off throughout the morning. Other than that, no other side effects--actually feeling pretty good, much better than usual as a matter of fact. NOTHING like the awful first day for SSRI's.

Later this morning, I purposely subjected myself to a situation that I KNOW triggers my anxiety/panic attacks, and GOOD NEWS!! I remained fairly calm, anticipatory fear was SUBSTANTIALLY reduced, and the fear took longer to build, and almost made it through the situation before retreating to safety. VERY PROMISING RESULTS to say the least, and VERY surprisingly, extremely fast results. I realize that it's just the first dose---all I can do is hope that this is not a one-off thing, placebo effect or honeymoon effect. With any luck, subsequent doses and time will improve things even more.

I am, however, very puzzled and had a couple of questions---and I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the seemingly paradoxical side effects? I have no sedation, no drowsiness, no grogginess, and no increase in appetite whatsoever. To those of you that take S (especially low dose), is this not odd? To those of you who have taken both the IR and XR, does this explain the difference? Is there THAT much of a difference in the SE profile between the two? If so, I have never read it anywhere. My reaction to the drug is completely perplexing to me---even the doc said to expect to be knocked on my ass after I took it. Leave it to me to have opposite side effects.

My pdoc is planning on switching me for XR to IR after a month to see which has a better response, so hoping to hear different opinions/results between the two.

Thanks to everyone and your advice, and please take a minute to try to address my questions about your experiences.

i have taken both low doses and high doses, IR and XR, but never low doses of xr. in my experience your body may need a little while to acclimate to the drugs, i've found that i tend to have better reactions with seroquel when i haven't taken it in a long period of time. also, i've found dramatically reduced anxiety while under the effects of seroquel, but it seems to me that it would be past that point in your system. i would think you were less anxious because you were feeling better, maybe you were in a good mood about the meds? i cant say.

50mg of seroquel, especially xr, will probably not "knock you on your ass", it may make you a little hungry but i doubt you'll be ravenous. XR also tends to be much more gentle with the feelings of drowsiness. and in regards to the feeling of activation, like i said seroquel helps me with anxiety quite a bit, its not unusual for me to feel like i can get up, go, and take on the world.

EDIT: i'd also like to explain, i voted IR because i typically have taken seroquel for sleep, or when i took it for other reasons i intentionally used it to help me sleep as a bonus. i have also typically taken high to extremely high doses, so XR is still extremely sedating even in the waning periods. its just best to get it over with for me.

i have taken both low doses and high doses, IR and XR, but never low doses of xr. in my experience your body may need a little while to acclimate to the drugs, i've found that i tend to have better reactions with seroquel when i haven't taken it in a long period of time. also, i've found dramatically reduced anxiety while under the effects of seroquel, but it seems to me that it would be past that point in your system. i would think you were less anxious because you were feeling better, maybe you were in a good mood about the meds? i cant say.

50mg of seroquel, especially xr, will probably not "knock you on your ass", it may make you a little hungry but i doubt you'll be ravenous. XR also tends to be much more gentle with the feelings of drowsiness. and in regards to the feeling of activation, like i said seroquel helps me with anxiety quite a bit, its not unusual for me to feel like i can get up, go, and take on the world.

EDIT: i'd also like to explain, i voted IR because i typically have taken seroquel for sleep, or when i took it for other reasons i intentionally used it to help me sleep as a bonus. i have also typically taken high to extremely high doses, so XR is still extremely sedating even in the waning periods. its just best to get it over with for me.

Thanks for the reply, Eden---well taken.

Please keep those cards and letters coming---

I have taken low doses of the IR and up to a maximum of 700mg. I've started at 50mg XR and have taken up to 600mg XR. I currently take 400mg XR. My personal experience is that I find the IR much more sedating than the XR and that's why I like the XR. I also had much worse restless legs on the IR. I found the low dosage of the IR very sedating, but like you did not have any sedation or grogginess from 50mg XR. As the dose increased, I DID experience sedation and really bad postural hypotension, but these effects lessened and once I make sure to to take my Seroquel before 8pm I suffer little or no hangover effect the following morning.

To be honest, Seroquel has been a lifesaver for me. I went off it last year, under guidance of pdoc due to severe weight gain and high cholesterol and as a result suffered with severe insomnia which lead to mania and mixed sates, leading to hospitalisation. I later took an overdose and my pdoc decided that I needed Seroquel so I started back on it last April. I was concerned about regaining the weight that I managed to lose and I did gain some, but I lost it and am very careful with my diet so it is possible to take Seroquel and lose weight :rolleyes: . If you can stick out the initial side effects which may or may not occur for you, Seroquel is a great med!! (for me anyway .... everyone's different)

I have taken low doses of the IR and up to a maximum of 700mg. I've started at 50mg XR and have taken up to 600mg XR. I currently take 400mg XR. My personal experience is that I find the IR much more sedating than the XR and that's why I like the XR. I also had much worse restless legs on the IR. I found the low dosage of the IR very sedating, but like you did not have any sedation or grogginess from 50mg XR. As the dose increased, I DID experience sedation and really bad postural hypotension, but these effects lessened and once I make sure to to take my Seroquel before 8pm I suffer little or no hangover effect the following morning.

To be honest, Seroquel has been a lifesaver for me. I went off it last year, under guidance of pdoc due to severe weight gain and high cholesterol and as a result suffered with severe insomnia which lead to mania and mixed sates, leading to hospitalisation. I later took an overdose and my pdoc decided that I needed Seroquel so I started back on it last April. I was concerned about regaining the weight that I managed to lose and I did gain some, but I lost it and am very careful with my diet so it is possible to take Seroquel and lose weight :rolleyes: . If you can stick out the initial side effects which may or may not occur for you, Seroquel is a great med!! (for me anyway .... everyone's different)

Thanks Rown, I'm hoping it turns out to be a lifesaver for me too. So far so good. Be glad to get to the 2 or 3 month mark----

The first time I took 'quel was about two years ago. I took 25 mgs for sleep and it knocked me out. I had a shocking hangover. I went back to the psychiatrist and said "I Hate this drug. That is a terrible medication." And I refused to take it.

But overtime my bipolar insomnia propelled me to try it again. Soon I was taking 50 mgs nightly for sleep. When I switched into a hypomanic/mixed episode my doctor gave me a higher dose of ER which was a merciful relief from my agitated, anxious mood and distressing thoughts.

At that point I realized the amazing relief from anxiety that Seroquel offered me. And crazy, dark thoughts were improved. Now I love, love, love my Seroquel. I take 200 mgs ER for the daily angst and busy brain. It is not sedating for me....but I am a maniac. I pop another 100 mgs of regular about an hour before bedtime. I am profoundly grateful for my Lithium/Seroquel combo. It works great. And I feel safe knowing that when I have an episode of hypomania or mixed or mania I have an extra bottle of Seroquel waiting to rescue me.

I've taken Seroquel IR for years at doses ranging from 50-200 mgs for sleep, with 50 each evening being typical, and have also used the IR in varying amounts for breakthrough manic and hypomanic symptoms. I hated Seroquel for a long time because it made me feel hungover and out of it. Then recently my pdoc convinced me to try a low dose of the XR, so I started taking 50 mgs of that every evening, and it's totally different. No weird sedation. No hangover. Unbreakable cycle of anxious and negative thoughts broken. Some antidepressant value. I still take 50 mgs of the IR at bedtime, but I have to say the XR and the IR are two different animals.

The first time I took 'quel was about two years ago. I took 25 mgs for sleep and it knocked me out. I had a shocking hangover. I went back to the psychiatrist and said "I Hate this drug. That is a terrible medication." And I refused to take it.

But overtime my bipolar insomnia propelled me to try it again. Soon I was taking 50 mgs nightly for sleep. When I switched into a hypomanic/mixed episode my doctor gave me a higher dose of ER which was a merciful relief from my agitated, anxious mood and distressing thoughts.

At that point I realized the amazing relief from anxiety that Seroquel offered me. And crazy, dark thoughts were improved. Now I love, love, love my Seroquel. I take 200 mgs ER for the daily angst and busy brain. It is not sedating for me....but I am a maniac. I pop another 100 mgs of regular about an hour before bedtime. I am profoundly grateful for my Lithium/Seroquel combo. It works great. And I feel safe knowing that when I have an episode of hypomania or mixed or mania I have an extra bottle of Seroquel waiting to rescue me.

That's great Ladybug, I'm really happy for you!

I don't want to get TOO excited so early on. I've started a few drugs that looked promising at first, only to be sadly disappointed. Got my fingers crossed and praying for this one---

I've taken Seroquel IR for years at doses ranging from 50-200 mgs for sleep, with 50 each evening being typical, and have also used the IR in varying amounts for breakthrough manic and hypomanic symptoms. I hated Seroquel for a long time because it made me feel hungover and out of it. Then recently my pdoc convinced me to try a low dose of the XR, so I started taking 50 mgs of that every evening, and it's totally different. No weird sedation. No hangover. Unbreakable cycle of anxious and negative thoughts broken. Some antidepressant value. I still take 50 mgs of the IR at bedtime, but I have to say the XR and the IR are two different animals.

More and more, I am finding that out---that they have 2 different mechanisms of action, the more I read about them---and, if I'm not mistaken, XR is the version that had success in the trails and got AZ FDA approval for adjunctive add on therapy when combined with an AD for unipolar depression/anxiety disorders. If the XR ends up working out, I'm sorta in a conundrum, because the pdoc already Rx'd the IR from Astra Zeneca (I'm on their free med program). Guess I'll just have to wait and see when the IR Rx comes in. He started me on the XR because that's the only samples he had---but for some reason he wanted me to try the IR. I guess he can Rx it again for the XR formulation, but I'm not sure how that works. Hmmm......nothing is easy with this damn affliction----

Hi Ferdy,

I'm so glad you are having a positive experience with Seroquel XR. I had a great result when I took my initial 50mg, though it was lights out after a couple hours at bed time. Solution for me was to take it around 5-6PM, the sedation would kick in closer to my proper bed time and I didn't have any trouble getting up the next day. I found that 50mg was a great start and I've written quite a bit about my experience here on the board, though in short, I needed to increase my dosage as some of my issues returned. I just moved up to 300mg of XR. I'm new to the drug as well, but for me it's amazing. Personally, I don't think your response is really that paradoxical, considering how different we all are. Keep us aware of how you are progressing...it sounds promising.

crow66

I will do, crow, and thanks. Glad it's working well for ya!!

I take 600mg of the XR and it works wonders for my anxiety.

The main reason that I take the XR is to get all day coverage, because I actually take it for psychosis. I have never taken the IR, because that would mean having to take it several times a day. I still get sedation, and I would say I have to be in bed about 2 hours after taking it. I take it at 10:30pm without food. For me, the sedation was far worse at the beginning. Now I would say that my body is more used to the med so I get an amount of sedation that is good for me. Sleep deprivation triggers my symptoms.

I haven't gained any weight, but that may be because I have a poor appetite and can only eat when I am hungry.

I hope that the Seroquel continues working for you. :)

I take 600mg of the XR and it works wonders for my anxiety.

The main reason that I take the XR is to get all day coverage, because I actually take it for psychosis. I have never taken the IR, because that would mean having to take it several times a day. I still get sedation, and I would say I have to be in bed about 2 hours after taking it. I take it at 10:30pm without food. For me, the sedation was far worse at the beginning. Now I would say that my body is more used to the med so I get an amount of sedation that is good for me. Sleep deprivation triggers my symptoms.

I haven't gained any weight, but that may be because I have a poor appetite and can only eat when I am hungry.

I hope that the Seroquel continues working for you. :)

Thanks Plutonian, I appreciate your input and comments. I'm really glad that S XR is working for you, looks like you've had more than your share of crap that life and these conditions can throw upon us. I wish you well, too.

The second night (last night) wasn't much fun for me. This second dose amplified my sleep issues from the first dose. My sleep was especially fitfull, tossing, turning, restless, waking up several times during the night---which is VERY unusual for me---I usually sleep VERY soundly through the night and can't remember the last time I woke in the middle of the night. Wait, I take that back---I did wake up once during the first week of trying Zoloft in a huge night sweat---completely soaked. Another SSRI bites the dust----(not just because of that, SE's never went away even after 6 weeks).

So, anyway, back to the S XR. Today not nearly as good as yesterday. Feeling kinda spacey and out of it (maybe due to poor sleep), and my PVC's are really acting up and annoying today--which adds to my anxiety. After I ate earlier, I tried to nap and couldn't really fall completely asleep, just sort of nodding off a few times, only to awaken again--. This is sort of discouraging, but not totally surprising---I've had honeymoon/placebo reactions early in trials with all the others too. If this sleeping issue doesn't resolve, I'll have to hope that the IR version works differently from the XR and has more sedating properties. Hard to believe, though, that the IR would be opposite of the XR in this respect?

We'll just have to see----

The main reason that I take the XR is to get all day coverage, because I actually take it for psychosis.

The sedation itself won't do anything for psychosis except calm you down if your in the throws. The drug actually works systemically over a period of time to titrate in certain parts of your brain. Just a heads up in case you feel it would be easier to take it at night. (not that you shouldn't consult your doctor if you feel this way.)

The main reason that I take the XR is to get all day coverage, because I actually take it for psychosis.

The sedation itself won't do anything for psychosis except calm you down if your in the throws. The drug actually works systemically over a period of time to titrate in certain parts of your brain. Just a heads up in case you feel it would be easier to take it at night. (not that you shouldn't consult your doctor if you feel this way.)

I know your comment was directed to Plutonian, but that is something that I meant to mention in my last post. I may try switching to taking it in the morning and see if the stimulation wears off some by beditime and see if I sleep better.

Man on man, are we having fun yet?

I do take it at night. I said in my original post that I take it at 10:30pm and I have to be in bed 2 hours after taking it. Anyway what I mean by the sedation helping my psychosis is that I, like everyone else, am more likely to hallucinate when I am sleep deprived. The delusions were there anyway, however much sleep I had. And you weren't even responding to a comment about the sedation, but a comment about why I take the XR instead of the IR.

I do take it at night. I said in my original post that I take it at 10:30pm and I have to be in bed 2 hours after taking it. Anyway what I mean by the sedation helping my psychosis is that I, like everyone else, am more likely to hallucinate when I am sleep deprived. The delusions were there anyway, however much sleep I had. And you weren't even responding to a comment about the sedation, but a comment about why I take the XR instead of the IR.

I meant no offense, you said you take it for all day coverage, so I assumed that meant that you took it in the morning, the drugs would wear off shortly after you wake up if not before then. My bad, just trying to lend a bit of insight where it seemed useful.

Just FWIW, I take the XR in the late evening. I have bedtime meds and breakfast meds. I have taken it in the afternoon without sedation problems, but it's so much easier to take meds only twice a day than to get fancy with 3 or more times that I just stick it in with the p.m. stuff.

Archived