CrazyBoards.org

how well have your antipsychotics worked for you?

27 members have voted

1. 1. how well have your antipsychotic medications worked?

• Extremely well
    • Very well
    • good
    • no effect
    • gotten worse

I replied "Extremely Well" because the anti-psychotic I take (Seroquel XR 400mg) DOES work extremely well for me. I take it for Bipolar and it really improved my sleep, my depressed mood, my anxiety, obsessive thinking, deals with mania and agitation, and overall keeps me stable. Yep, I'm happy....it works well.

I have also taken Abilify up to 30mg, Zyprexa up to 20mg, Risperdal up to 2mg and Haldol up to 10mg. Abilify worked only ok and it caused akathisia. Zyprexa caused enormous weight gain and I felt like I was living in a bubble. Very effective for my mania, not so much depression. Risperdal ok for my mood but caused my periods to completely stop and I also leaked breast milk...not a pleasant side effect! I was on Haldol PRN in the hospital and it worked great at quelling mania and aiding sleep. However, out of all the anti-psychotics I have taken I like Seroquel XR the best. I found the IR version too sedating.

I put 'very well'

Dealing only with psychotic symptoms, it varies by AAP, but most work well at a high enough dose, however I've never had an AAP not crap out to a certain extent in terms of breakthrough symptoms - Abilify is the best so far but I've only been on it 10-11 months. Which is pretty long, I guess.

I put "good." The side effects have been highly uncomfortable and hard to deal with, but the meds have definitely helped with my psychosis. Despite the lactation and akathisia, I found Risperdal to be the most effective of them all. Abilify was the least effective.

Guest Vapourware

For this poll, I looked at my best response to an AP and so I said, "very well". The best AP for me was ziprasidone - it really helped with my psychotic symptoms and also my mood issues. Even 80mg was enough to keep me sane for a while. Eventually I upped it to 120mg, which apparently was still somewhat "low" considering my symptoms [according to a psychopharm my pdoc consulted] but it did the job very well in that it got rid of any breakthrough symptoms and mood issues within a day or so.

I remember I first started taking it - within about two weeks, I was back in full-time employment, so it's really helped me regain my sanity and turn my life around.

As for the other APs that I've tried...not so beneficial, for various reasons.

AAPs either work extremely well for me, or very very badly indeed. seroquel and risperdal and zyprexa all work to quell mania and psychosis, I find risperdal the best overall, except that i need a touch of seroquel to sleep or i won't sleep. Sigh. it's really not recommended to take two aaps at once but oh well.

Abilify and saphris and the more "activating" aaps actually cause psychosis and mood switching. they are not effective at all, in fact abilify landed me in the psych unit for a month once. Not cool. i have not touched geodon for that reason (pure fear) and I don't think I ever would.

I really think I am sticking with my quel/risp combo it really is the best for clarity of thought and mood. Since I tend to rapidly go into mixed or depressed episodes with psychosis, i do not think I'd ever try to go without an AAP, even though i am purely BP.

that said, the side effects can be frustrating. My cholestorol is extremely high and I'm trying to figure out what to DO about that. Sigh. That said, I'd rather live to 50 sane than 80, insane. I made that choice a long time ago.

Anna

For treating my anxiety, Seroquel has really helped. For psychosis, I have probably had mixed results but there is still room for tweakage if necessary.

I would say overall that I am more happy with my meds than not happy. I had a mini-episode a while ago, but compared to how I was before going on meds, that was nothing. I felt more angry than anxious, whereas before it was 24/7 anxiety. Also I have not had any thought control since going on meds, and that was what I went on them for originally.

My friends have also noticed the difference in me. I am no longer an anxious wreck or trying desperately to spread my 'reality' onto the unenlightened masses.

The anxiety reduced at the beginning, but it took a while before the psychosis reduced. But at the time I felt that things were changing too quickly for me, so maybe it was for the best that I came out of my delusions slowly. The delusions are still there, but not at a level where they are affecting me so much now. But, thanks to being able to sleep, my hallucinations are not currently there. I do wonder how much of my recovery does have to do with being able to sleep better.

I do wish that I was able to get treatment earlier now that I know what is going on. My insight has greatly improved since going on meds. And I am also frightened of the idea of coming off meds all together. Actually my opinion of meds has changed since finding a med that works for me. I sucked on the AD that I was on before (a few years ago).

Side effect wise I have not had any trouble. My bloods came back all ok last time they were taken. I haven't put on any weight (though having a generally poor appetite and only being able to eat when I am hungry might explain that). The only side effect that I have had is the sedation, but I like that because I have always been worse in the times when I was unable to sleep enough.

Overall I would say that it is a thumbs up for my Seroquel.

But I was only diagnosed in the spring, so I have only been on one AP so far.

For me, my anti-psychotics have worked "good". I'm currently in a place where my mental state is worse than it was after I got out of the hopsital but better than it was before I was admitted. So I am in this state where I am having breakthrough hallucinations, thought broadcasting, delusions and paranoia, but this all just started this past tuesday. I take Navane, a typical antipsychotic and Zyprexa, but I am starting Haldol this upcoming tuesday to see if that will help with my symptoms. Otherwise I will begin clozapine and hopefully my AAP will function "extremely well".

Just going by the Clozaril (clozapine) I take now, it works very well for me. I've been able to maintain symptom control with the Clozaril since reaching the 300mg mark and thanks to Clozaril, I've been out of the hospital for approx 9 months now.

I've been on various other antipsychotics (both typical and atypical) and they all gave me side effects (such as EPS, akathisia; Abilify gave me swallowing problems).

I have had adverse responses to every AAP I've been on, ranging from excessive sedation (absolutely could not be woken, for hours); symptoms such as eye crossing & severe stuttering (that time, my pdoc told me he was concerned about neurological damage); worsening psychosis and/or moods; all the way up to dystonia with a side of severe psychosis that landed me in the hospital, among other things. After that, my pdoc said no more AAPs (or APs), which is a whirl wind of fun when I become psychotic, but well. There's only so much brain damage and potential death I can take.

Oh, and I am not fearmongering-- I am absolutely a rare case, I know that. I wish I could take an AAP, because I really fucking need it most of the time. Maybe a new one will come out that is made of fairy dust and magic guinea pig pee that makes me feel all warm and happy inside. Ha.

Archived