CrazyBoards.org

Which sleeping pills work immediately?

Looking for a list of prescription sleeping pills that work fast. All the sleeping pills I have been on take atleast 2 hours to kick in.

I was on ambien, trazodone, and neurontin with saprhis zyprexa geodon, and while reading this:

(in regards to ambien)May not be ideal for patients who desire

immediate hypnotic onset and eat just prior

to bedtime

This opened my eyes to there possibly being sleeping pills that work very fast. Anyone have any suggestions?

hypnotics can hit you like a sack of bricks. but hypnotics aside, i don't know of any pill that kicks in significantly faster than others.

i may not understand your post completely, if i didn't answer your question just let me know and i can clarify.

Zopiclone is supposed to kick in within about 20 mins, Midazolam even quicker, but they have a short half life (Zopiclone about 4 hours I think and Midazolam about 1.5 hours). But if your pills take 2 hours to kick in- why don't you just take them 2 hours before bed?

I have issues regulating my sleep, if I can't sleep often times I need to wait for the right time to take my meds. If i take meds when I get sleepy and wait 2 hours for them to kick in I'm often very much awake by then and unable to sleep regardless of the sedation.

Drugs alone often won't put me out, as hard as I try. But drugs when I'm sleepy generally work, albeit not well sometimes. My point is that a fast acting drug is very necessary for some people.

Ambien and Sonata worked for me about twice. I have raging sleep issues where I can't fall asleep no matter what. Or until just before I'm supposed to get up. I just started on trazadone four days ago, and 50 mg worked great the first three days, now nothing. I haven't taken any naps today or anything. Frustrating.

Oh, my point? Ambien and Sonata (and lunesta) are generally supposed to start to kick in within 20-45 minutes. I really don't know the proper schedule for traz, as I'm still getting used to it. Oh, and ambien (and zyprexa) made me sleep eat. It's the weirdest feeling to wake up standing in front of an open fridge eating leftovers at 3 am.

i see you've tried trazodone. it works wonders for me. 25-50 mgs. i have to take it as i get into bed, then read about 5 pages of some light novel before it knocks me out. if i take it while still upright and doing things, it doesn't work. i have to be lying down, in bed, teeth brushed, etc.

melatonin has also worked in the past. 2-5 mgs. but i still have to be lying down, ready for sleep. it did, however, increase the intensity of my nightmares, which my pdoc told me is common.

i wish you luck in your search.

h

At night I take my meds in two waves. I take the topiramate and the Seroquel XR first, at least an hour before I plan to go to bed, because while they may help keep me asleep, they don't put me to sleep. Then half an hour before I go, physically, up to bed I take 12.5 mgs of Ambien XR and 50 mgs of Seroquel IR. Once I've taken that part of the combo, I know I have about half an hour to get into bed before possible side effects such as ravenous hunger and crazy talk start.

It's also worth mentioning that I forget the last hour of my day pretty much every day. It's a consistent side effect. After I start in on the pills, nothing important can be done or said.

Edit: Trazadone, remeron, Lunesta, neurontin and Sonata have all been tried and been failures for me for sleeping.

this is a tough one.... for me when I'm off the sleep train, i take temazepam (the sleep benzo). it knocks me out rather hard and fast, and also has the longest half life of the benzos, I also don't seem to develop tolerance for whatever reason. It kicks in fairly quickly. that said, when really off the chain, I may need to take a LOT of different things to knock me out. (Heh, sometimes when I input my meds into med checkers, they tell me: You are dead, you just don' t realize it yet). When manic, I have the tolerance of a horse to sleep meds, but I NEED them.

That being said, there is no med that will make you fall asleep within 5 minutes, I don't think. This is where good sleep hygiene is going to come into play. You are maybe going to have to find something not too stimulating to do (maybe in bed) that you can do for a few hours, so that when they kick in, you are ready to sleep. i find reading in low light or being on the computer is NOT too stimulating, even though it goes against the sleep hygiene rule of "nothing in bed but sleep and sex". i mean, for me, I do what works for me. i make sure I have plenty of water, don't have to get up, and just make myself stay, knowing that sleep will eventually come.

also, be avoiding caffiene after about 12 p.m., exercise after about 3 p.m., a warm bath may either help or make things worse, warm milk is okay and soothing, and maybe soothing music or a white noise machine.

have you had a sleep study? You may find that helpful if you haven't. i haven't, though maybe I should.

i find, depending on my sx, my sleep cocktail changes. i don't care what is in it though, as I need to SLEEP, man.

anna

So take it 2 hours before bed. Can't you do that or am I missing something ?

nf

The problem isn't when I sleep but how long it takes. Before I had any insomnia and mood disorder I could even sleep with the tv on. I could even fall asleep in the passenger of a car. Sleep came easy, fell asleep within 15 minutes most of the time. My mood seems stable. I can't pinpoint any issue that is effecting my sleep. I don't even get how insomnia works. Is it just genetic like other mental illnesses, where once its triggered by some random chemical reaction or event that it takes a course of its own. Ambien was a drug that if I took it at 10pm. I would usually fall asleep at 12-1 am. I will say however when i'm trying to lay down and fall asleep, my mind seems pretty active. Thinking about anything it wants. I'm just shocked it still goes on and on even with taking antipsychotics.

I take 20mg of zyprexa zydis (it kicks in faster than regular zyprexa),0.5mg of klonopin, 200mg of topamax, and 200mg of traz to get to sleep. And I haven't even gotten used to this combo yet! I usually get used to a sleeping pill/combo within a week or two but not this combo! Yay!

Sorry if that doesn't help. Have you tried the zydis? It kicks in quicker, and since you said it takes you 2 hours to fall asleep maybe that would work better? Along with something else like a benzo and traz/ambien to help keep you asleep once you have fallen asleep? IDK Just an idea.

I have to take my meds in waves. I take geodon for the bipolar and I take that, my klonopin and remeron at 5:15 when I get off work. This doesn't make me sleepy. When I'm ready for bed, I take immediate release seroquel and the zonegran my neurologist has me taking for migraines and get into bed and I'm usually out in 30 minutes.

It's REALLY weird though, if I don't wait at least an hour to an hour and a half to take my seroquel/zonegran combo after my other meds I CANNOT sleep at all

i see you've tried trazodone. it works wonders for me. 25-50 mgs. i have to take it as i get into bed, then read about 5 pages of some light novel before it knocks me out. if i take it while still upright and doing things, it doesn't work. i have to be lying down, in bed, teeth brushed, etc.

If you swap trazodone for ambien then this is my routine and my wonder drug.

I take 20mg of zyprexa zydis (it kicks in faster than regular zyprexa),0.5mg of klonopin, 200mg of topamax, and 200mg of traz to get to sleep. And I haven't even gotten used to this combo yet! I usually get used to a sleeping pill/combo within a week or two but not this combo! Yay!

Sorry if that doesn't help. Have you tried the zydis? It kicks in quicker, and since you said it takes you 2 hours to fall asleep maybe that would work better? Along with something else like a benzo and traz/ambien to help keep you asleep once you have fallen asleep? IDK Just an idea.

I could probably use a benzo, I was on ambien for about 3 years. Best sleep of my life. I was taken off of it because my doctor said that it stops the brain from developing if under 25 years old. Also i'm not sure about the long term effects of long term use. I believe it is primarily used as a short term sleep fix.

It did take 2-3 hours to sleep on ambien too. I think on zyprexa I slept in under an hour but two problems arose forcing me to stop. One was I would wake up in the middle of the night extremely hungry binge eating. Another was as soon as I took it along with invega my cholesterol and blood sugars were high and doctor said if this keeps up i might have a heart attack. I also had blood sugars in the diabetic range since taking it for a few months. Also it seemed to cause some restlessness

Archived