CrazyBoards.org

trouble interacting, remembering and conversing

I have a really hard time conversing and interacting at all with people (hence the topic). I have 2 kids, so this is a problem. It's like I just can't find the brainpower to talk to people sometimes. I appear rude and uninterested to others. It's to the point that I send my kids to a babysitter everday because I am unable to give them the attention and interaction they need. It's very hard financially but it's a necessity for the kids right now. I'm not lazy, I want to be a good mom.

Also, I can't remember things. I can't remember my therapy sessions so when my husband or parents ask what my therapist said about whatever, I can't tell them anything. I went shopping with someone last week, but I can't remember who it was. It's that bad.

Does anyone else have these problems? If so, how do you handle it? What might be causing this?

could be meds, could be brain eating nature of the illness could be habit, could be a lot of things. have you been stable for a long time and/or in therapy to address some of these factors? a full medical workup might not hurt either.

Lamictal can cause word finding difficulties and such, it's possible it's that.

Anna

I've felt this way on and off meds for about 2 years. I think in my case it's just the nature of my illness. My docs have said that adhd meds might help but I'm at high risk for both drug abuse and psychosis, which stimulants can cause in crazies such as myself.

I took lamictal and I could not keep my train of thought or remember what I had just done, said, or written. Taken along with benzos, I became worthless. It's a terribly dangerous med in that way.

Please don't confuse a medications's not being the right one for you with its being "terribly dangerous." It may not have worked for you, but peoples' reaction to psycho-active drugs are extremely individual. I am on Lamictal and benzos and have not had problems. I know I am far from the only person on CBs in taking Lamictal with benzos.

I can't relate too much. I have trouble interacting with people and they probably think I seem uninterested, but for me it's anxiety. I tune out sometimes, but it's not to the extent you are describing. I did have a point where I couldn't take care of my children and had them go to a babysitter. It was worth the expense to know they were getting the proper attention.

I just wanted to say you may want to bring someone to a doc appointment so they can help you remember or you could take notes while you are there. Maybe journaling would help so you could look back if you forgot what happened the day before? Also you may want to discuss this issue with your pdoc and tdoc and see if they have any ideas.

Are you coming out of an episode or possibly not really stable? When I'm coming off of a manic or mixed episode it takes my brain a while to get its shit back together. If I am the least bit mixed, my memory and ability to think are compromised.

So, it may be that Lamictal is not the med for you if this started with the med.

It could be that you are having episodic problems.

One of those two is probably it, but it's possible that there is something medical going on, too.

Archived