CrazyBoards.org

How Long Does It Take...

How Long Does It Take To Really Get An Understanding Of Bipolar? I Haven't Been Diagnosed Too Long, Since April 2011, But I Just Seem So Confused By The Constant Ups and Downs, I Never Know What Is Bipolar Related Symptom And What Is Just A Personality Flaw. What Is Caused By Mania And What Isn't. I Seem To Always Have Fast Thoughts, Some Are Night Are Worse Than Others. Like Right Now, I Can't Tell If I'm Manic Or Not. I'm Doing Things I Would Do When I Am Manic, I Have Racing Thoughts, But I Don't Have The Fast Speech ( My Friends Haven't Mentioned Anything And They Usually Can Tell) Can I Still Be Manic Without The Fast Speech? I Am Doing Risky Impulsive Things, But Is The Part Of My Borderline Traits.... I Stopped Taking My Lithium, Which COULD Be The Cause Of All Of This, But I Hated The Lithium So Much, And I Though I Was Doing Fine With Out It.... But I Don't Know..... Now Back To My Original Question... When Do You Completely Understand Bipolar.... Do You Ever?

I'm sorry, but I had such a hard time reading your post with every word capitalized, that I may not be getting your question straight. Are you asking when you may get an idea of how your MI affects you? If that's it, I really don't know how to answer that-- it is probably going to be dependent on who you are, what your illness is like, what treatments you use, whether you stick to your treatments, what your level of education about MI & MI treatments is, etc. There are so many variables, I doubt anyone could answer that except to say that as time goes on, you will probably be better able to tell what is a symptom and what is your reaction to everyday living. Regular therapy can help you figure that out.

I highly recommend being med compliant, because you will never know what is really helping if you don't take your meds regularly. The first time I was on lithium, I was put on too high of a dose, too fast, and I hated it. It made me so sick that I couldn't function and I stopped taking it. Another three years, and a whole lot of misery later, I got back on it more slowly, and it is helping immensely. I wish that happened the first time.

Anyway, I became ill as a young child, and got progressively worse without treatment for over twenty years. Once I finally was willing to get a Dx for what I already knew I had, my MI & my personality, as well as the way I interacted with the world, were all so intertwined, it took me years to sort of what was BP, what was my disorderd thinking, and what was the real me. I'm still figuring it out, actually, close to a decade later.

You are still very new to your diagnosis. Hardly enough time to try very many of the medications that might make you feel better. I got dx'd 6 years ago, and only recently found a medication combo that worked for me. But you have to be compliant with your medication prescriptions, and only stop taking medications on your dr's advice.

As time passes, you will understand your illness further. Each person is different, so there is no timeline. Just read what you can, keep a written or online account of your actions and behaviors, and take your medication as prescribed, and you will likely learn about your condition sooner rather than later.

Doing strange things with fonts is not generally appreciated here, because a lot of people's attention is screwed up. I tried to read it, but it hurt my eyes. In my case, that is partially because I have sucky eyesight and a migraine, but I think in general, you'll get better responses if you capitalize more conventionally.

If you just asked how long will it be until you understand Bipolar illness' affect on you, well, if you have a bad episode, there can be a steep learning curve.

On the other hand, you are going to find subtle ways it has an impact on you throughout your entire life.

My Font Thing Is A Ocd.Thing Of Mine When I Am On.A Computer. I Really Cant Help It I Am Sorry. I Am Usually My Phone Though.

Well, I guess I will take note and not read your posts when they are like this. As crtclms wrote, it actually hurts my eyes in addition to being hard to decipher. Also, three of us took the time to answer your question-- I know I put a lot of thought into my response. An acknowledgement of that would have been nice instead of just being told, sorry charlie about the fonts... Oh well.

Guest Vapourware

I would suggest posting from your phone - this board has a mobile skin, so it's still quite accessible through your phone. While I understand that you may find it difficult to not capitalise all words while on a keyboard, it really can have an impact on the readability of your post. I personally had to take a while to read your first post.

If you are a few months out from your bipolar dx, then I think it's fairly normal to look at every behaviour that you currently have and wonder if it is symptomatic. I think it happens whenever someone gets a new dx - I just received a new, formal dx [although not BP] and I find myself doing the same. If you haven't already, I suggest setting up a mood tracker so you can see what your moods are like, and if there is a cycle to your moods.

Educating yourself, IMO, is important when you are trying to understand a new dx. Check out this forum, and check out various other mental health resources [i recommend the Black Dog Institute as a starting point] and also, if you haven't already, I suggest talking about your feelings with a therapist. Sometimes when I am unsure about whether my current behaviour is symptomatic or not, I look to my therapist to help me differentiate it because she has more experience and a third-person perspective about how I am presenting.

Also, did you come off the lithium yourself, or did you come off the lithium with your doctor's knowledge?

Look up Stephen Fry's Secret Life of the Manic Depressive. I found that documentary really helped me get my head around a lot of the BP traits. Both myself and a BP friend I showed sat there pretty much ticking off our own traits as people talked about them, although we obviously don't get all of them. It's just easier to understand when someone who has experienced something explains it, than when you read how a doctor describes it. Aside from that, all you can really do is find a good pdoc/tdoc and ask them what they think when something is bothering or confusing you about a (possible) symptom. I don't expect to ever understand it 100%. I don't think anyone on the planet does or will.

My Font Thing Is A Ocd.Thing Of Mine When I Am On.A Computer. I Really Cant Help It I Am Sorry. I Am Usually My Phone Though.

Well, I guess I will take note and not read your posts when they are like this. As crtclms wrote, it actually hurts my eyes in addition to being hard to decipher. Also, three of us took the time to answer your question-- I know I put a lot of thought into my response. An acknowledgement of that would have been nice instead of just being told, sorry charlie about the fonts... Oh well.

I didn't mean not to reply to what everyone said. I just felt attacked for my font thing

so I got defensive and just thought about that. I will be replying to them tonight when I am done working. I appreciate everyones input and will have my responses when I am done working.

You guys all have very good and helpful ideas and tips. I know I need to be med compliant and I am with all my meds except my lithium, if I continue the lithium I will lose my job. I told my doctor I wanted off the lithium and she said talk to her about it at my next appointment and then she cancelled it. I was so frustrated. I know now I need to start my lithium again because I see my manic curve coming about again. It's hard to be med compliant when everyone around me wants me off my meds. They are use to me being crazy erratic and out of control, I guess they just formed to my flaws. But I know this behavior in the long wrong gets me in trouble and is starting to get me in trouble as we speak, I could be ruining a very good relationship.

I am always looking for more information but I feel like I've read everything I want new information not the standard pressured fast speech, racing thoughts mania, and no energy, sadness depression. There is never enough information about being mixed either! I want to know whats Borderline related and whats Bipolar, they are so closely related sometimes I get confused. I will look into both the websites and documentary.

Thanks.

I should be the last one to

critique, grammar

and paragraph structure.

I did feel sort of spun reading your post,

it was like pressured speech,

in type.

Granted my occasional atrocities,

when I don't know when

to shut up.

Stasis

I should be the last one to

critique, grammar

and paragraph structure.

I did feel sort of spun reading your post,

it was like pressured speech,

in type.

Granted my occasional atrocities,

when I don't know when

to shut up.

Stasis

I guess it can sorta be like that... My ocd traits come out more when I'm manic..

Archived