CrazyBoards.org

I'm think I'm starting to crack.

I had an increase in stress for about a month or so that recently ended. I'm trying to get my life back on it's regular track, which proved difficult this entire year.

Recently, I have been having episodes of sleep paralysis. With these episodes of sleep paralysis, I have been having very vivid and disturbing hypnagogic hallucinations. Tonight's were the last straw. The first one had me in a room with 4 other people, with a woman saying "Wake up - because you can't be in this world" and then me struggling to wake up, paralyzed and them turning into demons and monsters and me convinced there was a hand on my pillow. The second one had me again, paralyzed, struggling to wake up, with loud ringing in my ears and me this time convinced the sheets were being pulled off of me and I woke up screaming "It's behind me! It's behind me!"

Nothing was behind me.

Now, my rational mind knows that these are hypnagogic hallucinations and I need a sleep study. However, my crazy mind is now obsessed that there is something otherworldly out to get me, and it's haunting me in my dreams. Therefore, if I stay awake AND have the house blessed by a priest, I can avoid it. I frantically am turning on all of the lights in my apartment as well. It is now 5:00 a.m. and I have been up since 3:00. Oh, that is my other obsession. I am being haunted during the witching hour. I am seriously cracking up. I never thought it would really happen.

I called my pdoc, who is gone for the weekend and left a message for the tdoc clinic.

Should I go to the hospital? What say you?

My only med changes have been a 20mg increase in Geodon.

I'd probably pop more Kpins and drop the Geodon (if I thought that were the cause) until I get in to see somebody. I don't recommend doing that necissarily but that's what I would do. If you feel like you might hurt yourself or somebody else then yeah, go to the hospital. If you have good access to a nice clinic and can check in when you please you could decide to go. If you're very distressed it could be a relief to have the intensive assessment and treatment that hospital provides. I guess it depends how much of a big deal what you're going through is compared to how big a deal going to hospital is.

It doesn't sound like you are going to hurt yourself or someone else, but if you do feel like that's a possibility then you should just drop everything and go the hospital.

So, what about trying to calm yourself down so you can think a little more clearly? Maybe do some yoga or deep breathing? Have some chamomile tea. Sit in a safe place with the lights on and just relax. If you can get your mind into a less upset state maybe you will be able to drift off to sleep...perhaps once you've gotten a good bit of sleep in you'll feel better?

I think its time to go to hospital; sounds like you are having a psychotic episode. Some AAps can cause problems early on. I had a similar experience to you on risperdal (I had to be hospitalised for a week after one dose), and yet clozapine and to some extent zyprexa work for me. Dont chance it if hospital is a viable option (wont hurt you too much financially, socially etc).

It sounds like sleep paralysis, not psychosis, IMO. You also sound sleep deprived and totally stressed. Klonopin is a med used for sleep paralysis. You might try taking some at night if you are not already until you can talk to your doc.

Not sure if this will help at all. I used to get a lot of sleep paralysis when I was congested and taking a decongestant or nasal spray helped. I also had a lot around my period. No idea why. Once I had one, I had to get up, walk around, sort of wake up, and then go back to bed to avoid another one. If I tried just going back to sleep, I'd have them all night. Maybe some of that will help. Hope so. Sleep paralysis sucks.

If this got noticeably worse with the Geodon, then that could be involved. If it didn't, I wouldn't assume it is.

Unless you about to hurt yourself or others, hold off on the hospital. Call the backup doc or therapist instead.

Archived