CrazyBoards.org

I took Effexor XR 250mg I think 7 years ago. When I was taking it I had some very disturbing dreams, 'brain shocks', i would have sleep hallucinations like seeing spiders, and being paralyzed.

After I stopped taking it, (been it on for a year I think), I had these episodes where I would yell

at a high volume during my sleep and make noises like I was about to die and begging for help,etc.

It was embarrasing, because I was in college and the tenants upstairs would mock me.

I had this problem for a few years and then it disappeared.

Does anyone experience something like this as well? I also noticed after I took this drug that are started becoming extremely manic at one point further down the road...

I was never sure if this drug screwed me up, or it was a developing mental illness.

Somementill -

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the upstairs tenants; that just sounds cruel to me. With regard to the Effexor, the first thing that caught my eye in your post was that you said you became "extremely manic" - did you have a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder when you were prescribed the Effexor? You should be aware that treatment of BP with Effexor is off-label, and from sources I've read is not recommended for BP-I. It may be that Effexor was not the best match for your diagnosis.

I have frequently experienced brain shocks and other symptoms of intense distress with EffexorXR (I've been taking it for about 7 years now, and am now on 450mg daily) but that has only been if I have missed my meds for some reason and have started having withdrawal symptoms. Effexor is notoriously harsh in withdrawal; I have heard its withdrawal syndrome likened to that of heroin, although never having used heroin I can't speak to that directly.

Cerberus

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the upstairs tenants; that just sounds cruel to me. With regard to the Effexor, the first thing that caught my eye in your post was that you said you became "extremely manic" - did you have a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder when you were prescribed the Effexor? You should be aware that treatment of BP with Effexor is off-label, and from sources I've read is not recommended for BP-I. It may be that Effexor was not the best match for your diagnosis.

I have frequently experienced brain shocks and other symptoms of intense distress with EffexorXR (I've been taking it for about 7 years now, and am now on 450mg daily) but that has only been if I have missed my meds for some reason and have started having withdrawal symptoms. Effexor is notoriously harsh in withdrawal; I have heard its withdrawal syndrome likened to that of heroin, although never having used heroin I can't speak to that directly.

I did not have a dx of bipolar, but I had manic episodes before that. Right around age 24, it got really bad and I was doing reckless things like day trading of stocks (spent 6k), throwing things around the apartment, driving really fast, just general going crazy.

Of course I have mellowed out since then, and no longer seem to have wild ups and downs. I don't seem to have too many emotions anymore. I get episodes of depression, and irritability/agitation. That's about it.

Never had a big deal with withdrawing from Effexor that I recall. Getting off Seroquel was rough though. Never really been formally dx with anything in particular.

I thought it was Bipolar when I started to realize my life was messed up, i think it would have been Bipolar Type 2, since I mostly had depression episodes. But had a lot of paranoia and delusions on top of that, and other

symptoms I couldn't match to Bipolar. So, I'm not sure what I have.

It's unclear from your posts here whether you are currently under the care of a psychiatrist; if not, it might not be a bad idea to find one in your area and be re-evaluated. The fact that you're inquiring here on the Boards suggests that there's something you'd like to change about your present mental health, and the best place to start would be a solid, current diagnosis based on the latest medical science and research, and reflecting the current status of your brain, which may or may not have changed since the last time you were under a psychiatrist's attention. Especially in the case of depression, it makes a difference which flavor you have - some treatments are not recommended, or less recommended, for some conditions but are very useful for others. In any event, there's no need to suffer the pains of depression when good help is available. I would definitely encourage you to be re-assessed if you haven't been seen in a while. And if you have, don't hesitate to tell your doctor that you're feeling depressed, so your doctor can take a different look at your treatment if needed.

Cerberus

Archived