CrazyBoards.org

Forgetting to take meds...

I usually don't have this problem as I am very anal about taking my meds when I am supposed to be taking them. For whatever reason, a few nights ago, I completely forgot. I guess I was busy studying and it slipped my mind. When I woke up in the morning it occurred to me that I didn't take my night time meds. I almost kind of went into a mini-panic and decided it was best to take them now (as in, at that present moment when I remembered) in stead of just missing the entire dose completely....

My main concern is the Lamictal (I take 300mg at night). If I took it in the morning (only because I happened to forget the previous pm dosage) and then took it later that night as regularly scheduled, that is a period of roughly 14 hours where 600mg of Lamictal is in my body, whereas its usually spread out more because I take doses 24 hours apart.

Obviously I don't have any rashes....yet. And I'm not dead. I'm just paranoid about stuff relating to toxic doses of meds because I'm studying pharmacology in nursing school right now and I know how dangerous it can be. I'm not going to walk right up to my professor and basically tell her I'm on Lamictal though...so I wanted to ask if anyone has advice on what to do if you miss a dose. Or if anyone has had experience with adverse reactions after taking more than one dose in one day?

Before I signed in to CB I put all my meds and vitamins for the week in my pill boxes. I have a big one, for seven days, AM and PM. Then I have a smaller seven day container for my evening psychiatric meds. I could never, never keep it all straight without them. The key is to keep them where you know you will see them. This might be in the bathroom next to your toothbrush. I keep them by the kitchen sink. I always put away a few dishes or get a glass of water before bed.

The only thing I noticed was I felt incredibly exhausted and drowsy all day. I'm not even sure if that's related to the Lamictal...But nothing remarkable other than that.

And I actually have just two separate cases, each with the SMTWTFS or whatever. The big one with the AM and PM is a good idea but sometimes I need to split them up and it's easier to just grab my morning meds and shove it in my backpack on the way to class. Likewise with my night meds if I'm heading out for the evening, they easily fit in my purse. So I keep them split up and one color is AM, the other color is PM. I have them labeled. It's never been an issue of forgetting. I'm not sure how I forgot that one night. I know it's human nature, we make mistakes, but it's just kinda frustrating.... and concerning.

You still took the doses over 12 hours apart. It's not the same as having taken 600mg at once. I'm not going to get into the pharmacokinetics of Lamictal and drugs in general because, frankly, I don't really understand them well, but what you did was probably fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lamictal can have some icky to really awful withdrawal pretty quickly, so try not to miss it. If it happens again, call your pharmacy or your doctor if you're really worried. They generally have guidelines when this happens.

Thanks Muriel. I don't know why it never occurred to me that I could call the pharmacy. That would at least give me peace of mind...

And I've heard the same about withdrawal symptoms from Lamictal. That's why I was concerned when I realized I forgot a dose. I'm thinking everything is ok though.

Thanks for your input! :)

Am new to the forum, a bit anxious.I have been on psvch meds for 20 years. I do not forget to take my meds ( I also use a pill box) But I must admit once a week I take a drug holiday. Why? Guess it gives me a sense of control over my life. I do know that a couple of my meds have a half life of 12 hours. That is when lithium levels are drawn.I was five years old when adults questioned if there there was something wrong with me. On and On til 40, which is when I had my first knock down-drag out manic involuntary hospitalization. Am 60 now and often question when I die will I still be taking ALL these meds..............

Lamictal 250mg / Cymbalta 90mg / Wellbutrin 300mg /Lithium 600mg /. Ativan 1mg PRN Addarall 15mg PRN

• 3 months later...

My mom ened up in the ER last Aug....... problem, forgetting her meds. She forgot for two days and then took three pills. I bought her a MEd-Q pillbox. It flashes the individual box to be taken and has a beeping alarm. It makes forgetting impossible. I don;t have to call three-four times a day to remind her. It's a real life saver

My mom ened up in the ER last Aug. problem, forgetting her meds. She forgot for two days and then took three pills. I bought her a MEd-Q pillbox. It flashes the individual box to be taken and has a beeping alarm. It makes forgetting impossible. I don;t have to call three-four times a day to remind her. It's a real life saver

The only thing I noticed was I felt incredibly exhausted and drowsy all day. I'm not even sure if that's related to the Lamictal...But nothing remarkable other than that.

It could be, Lamictal made me drowsy when I first started it so my pdoc had me change to evening dosing. He said about 20% of his patients find it sedating.

I'm generally really good about taking all my meds (some for non-MI ailments), and do what you did, which is if it's more than 8 or 10 hours till my next scheduled dose, then I'll take the med right then when I remember. Otherwise I'll just skip the dose. I've not had any problems either way. But I've never missed more than one dose, and never doubled the dose, either.